Questions about Rhesus factor

Old March 29th 04, 04:47 PM
hierophant

Default Questions about Rhesus factor

Buzzy Bee wrote:

Sure, but its important to make this clear to future clients: they
can then make the choice to wait until baby is typed before having
anti-D, in case its not necessary!

Yes, thanks, that is part of protocol for current clients.

Sorry to muddy up the answer to her simple question about home birth
and Rh factor! I should have stuck to her question and not tried to
get fancy with extraneous information.

Kris
Old April 27th 04, 11:17 PM
Kereru

"Cathy" wrote in message
Hi everyone, My nearly-15 month old has decided to wean herself, so I am
hoping that this will mean the return of my fertility, so that we can

really
TTC in earnest. But in the meantime I want to get some answers to my
quesions. I am Rh -, my husband and daughter are Rh +. After DD's birth,

had the Rhogam shot (or the equivalent) about 2 days after the birth. I

was
surprised at this - I thought it would be almost immediate. Anyway, what

is
the likelihood of complications with no. 2 - any one with experiences both
postitive and negative? And would this preclude me in any way form having

home birth? I'm sure it would depend on the midwife, but again, I'm just
after experiences. I had a hospital birth with no. 1, and although it was
probably the best place to be, as I couldn't get DD to latch till the 4th
day, it may have been easier at home, as the midwife may have had more

time
to spend with me (I am guessing here). With no. 1, I hated the fact that

DH
had to go almost immediately -he got no sleep, I got no sleep, and he

didn't
feel the baby was his till we got home 5 days later. So I'm just looking

at
my options really, as I've got oodles of time to make decisions!

Thanks in advance,
Cathy
DD 8 Jan 2003
TTC #2

Hi there, I am rhesus negative and my first son is positive. I had no
problems with number two. I gather that these days with the anti-D shot
"rhesus disease" as they used to call is is fairly uncommon.

I had a miscarriage before my first baby and hadn't had an anti-D shot so
there was a small risk. I was offered the opportunity to have a homebirth
the first time but didn't in the end because of extremely low iron. Second
time I was advised against it because of a very large baby. Both times my
rhesus negative blood wasn't the reason I didn't have a home birth. It
apparently wasn't an issue according to my midwife.

Good Luck with your home birth.

Judy