4-year-old wetting pants

Old January 1st 06, 05:50 AM posted to misc.kids

Default 4-year-old wetting pants

Hi all,
My daughter potty trained last march (when she was 3.25), and it went
pretty well, and pretty easily. She's been night trained since May.

The last few weeks, she's been having accidents. Just wetting her
pants slightly. She has ALWAYS resisted our suggestions to go pee, and
so we learned early on to just leave her alone - power struggles were
counter productive. She figured it out mostly on her own. She *still*
hates it if we suggest she should go pee. She resists it, even if it's
been 4 or 5 hours since she last went, and she's about to burst.

When we were traveling, (not on the road, but while we were at
grandparent's house) it was the worst - she had 4 accidents in 3 days.
On the 3rd day, I took things in hand - I figured she was out of her
routine, and she didn't know where the bathrooms were as easily, she
had Xmas gifts to play with, whatever, but every few hours, I took her
pee. She didn't like it much, but grudgingly accepted it.

Anyway, we've been home for 5 days, and things are better - only one
accident.

My husband is annoyed at the situation - she's been trained for so
long, and he feels she knows better, and can control it. She DOES have
very good bladder control. She can go a LONG time without peeing. For
example, she goes pee right before bed, and sometimes waits for a
couple of hours after getting up to go pee for the first time (and
she's wet the bed exactly once since she was potty trained). When we
were traveling, I only insisted she go about every 4 hours.

But aside from traveling, she's been wetting her pants 1-3 times per
week for the last month. Why now? I've not noticed anything unusual
happening. Most of her clothes are easy enough for her to get off
herself. Sometimes her accidents happen as she's trying to get her
pants down, but sometimes they happen awhile before, and she doesn't
say anything. Her accidents are never more than a small amount - never
an emptying of her bladder.

Anyway, I've told my husband to knock off with the adult expectations,
and merely say matter-of-factly "Ok... you had an accident, so now
let's clean it up." (it consists of rinsing her pants and underpants
and putting them in the laundry), and to drop any judgemental issues.

Anyway, can anyone shed light on why this might be happening, so long
after she was so completely trained?

Cathy Weeks

Old January 1st 06, 07:29 AM posted to misc.kids

In article . com,
"Cathy Weeks" wrote:

Anyway, can anyone shed light on why this might be happening, so long
after she was so completely trained?

When DH was at our Synod last year, he came home after DS1 was in bed. On
each of the 5 nights, and occasionally for a couple of weeks afterwards, DS1
wet the bed. It's just a matter of being out of their routine, I think. Some
kids show it one way, and some another. Over Xmas DS1 has been quite
incredibly bad-mannered/rude. I'm beginning to prefer a wet bed...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old January 1st 06, 07:46 AM posted to misc.kids

Jasmine was potty trained day and night at 22 months but at nearly 3.5
started to have loads of accidents. It was during a really busy time in
our lives and we realised we had in fact been spending less quality time
with her than we had been. So we tried to go back to our old routing and
remained totally unmoved by any accidents. Our tone was kept light and we
just suggested getting some dry clothes and that was all that was said.
Within a week and a half we were back to everything as they were.

Good luck

--
Pip

My girls :
DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early now 10.5 months and has just learned to crawl
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early now 3.75 yrs Favourite saying "I'm a big girl
cause I go to school Kindy"

"Inside me is a skinny women screaming to get out........but I can normally
keep the b*tch quiet with cookies"

--
ups.com...

Old January 1st 06, 01:05 PM posted to misc.kids

Make sure she doesn't have a UTI.

At our house we made peeing fun by letting any boys in the house go at
the same time. But I don't think girls have that option :-)

No further suggestions,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 1st 06, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids

In article . com,
"Cathy Weeks" wrote:

But aside from traveling, she's been wetting her pants 1-3 times per
week for the last month. Why now? I've not noticed anything unusual
happening. Most of her clothes are easy enough for her to get off
herself

No advice here, but sympathy. My three-year-old can "hold it" fine when
we're out and about, and loves to use the toilet at the coffee shop,
library, museum, you name it. At home, however, he's started wetting his
pants several times a day -- this after having the whole process down
pat for a while.

If you find a solution, please let me know!
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006

Quoting, for users of Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...4213&topic=250
Old January 1st 06, 07:19 PM posted to misc.kids

Beth Kevles wrote:
Make sure she doesn't have a UTI.

What are the symptoms? She doesn't seem sick or anything, but I have
no idea what to look for (I've never had a single UTI, nor have any of
the kids I've been around ever had one).

Cathy Weeks

Old January 1st 06, 08:13 PM posted to misc.kids

On 1 Jan 2006 10:19:40 -0800, "Cathy Weeks"
wrote:

Beth Kevles wrote:
Make sure she doesn't have a UTI.

What are the symptoms? She doesn't seem sick or anything, but I have
no idea what to look for (I've never had a single UTI, nor have any of
the kids I've been around ever had one).

The most common symptom is a frequent need to urinate, sometimes with
very little urine actually coming out if you try to go.
The best way to determine if she has one is to have her dr. test a
urine sample.

Nan
Old January 1st 06, 08:37 PM posted to misc.kids

In article .com,
"Cathy Weeks" wrote:

Beth Kevles wrote:
Make sure she doesn't have a UTI.

What are the symptoms? She doesn't seem sick or anything, but I have
no idea what to look for (I've never had a single UTI, nor have any of
the kids I've been around ever had one).

There aren't always symptoms that you can check for at home. I've had
far more than my fair share of UTIs, and although they're usually VERY
OBVIOUS DAMN IT OW OW OW I recently had one that showed up only when the
doctor tested my urine.