LeapPad/LeapFrog thoughts wanted

Old July 10th 03, 08:02 AM
P. Tierney

Default LeapPad/LeapFrog thoughts wanted

My spouse and I have two areas of disagreement on the
LeapPad/Frog/Thing.
I'd appreciate any input. They are in the areas of:

1. Should we buy a LeapPad "system" for our child?

My view: While it seems fine, regular reading to her also suffices.
Also, she often favors toys that are electronic (bells, whistles, noises,
lights) over more simple things, and I worry what kind of trend that
is setting for her long-term. It seems like the first step towards an
older child that sits and plays video games too much, with the same
lights, noises, etc. She does play imaginatively and she's active. And
while we can afford it, the long-term costs of such a thing, with the
extra books and such to buy, seem a tad high for the gains that one
might have.

Spouse's view: She already has a good vocabulary and she thinks that
this will help her build it even more. While she may not quite be ready
for it, we can still get it and she can get into it whenever she is ready.
It shouldn't stunt her imagination at all, but assist it, and electronic
items are just the way things are now (i.e., loud and flashy sit-and-spins
instead of the old kind). It'll also be good for trips, a few of which we
have coming up. Also, she has two smaller toys from that company,
given as gifts, and she likes them both.

2. If we buy, should we get My First LeapPad, or just the regular LeapPad?

My view: The regular LeapPad, going by comments on some of the websites
(for whatever they are worth) is said to be more durable and user-friendly.
The books on the "First" system are not secured and fall out when lifted up.
Also, the pens tend to fail a bit more often, it is said. It isn't much
cheaper,
isn't more travel-friendly, and is just a lesser version of the original.
(Note:
The store that we were at tonight didn't have a copy of the "First" pad, so
we couldn't hold/sample it, unlike the regular LeapPad.

Spouse's View: My First LeapPad will be good on travel, the books can
be secured with some work, and she could likely use it from the car seat.
The pens are easily manageable to her (as she has done on the MagnaDoodle),
and she's not as rough with her toys as some kids are, thus will be unlikely
to cause harm to the thing. She's younger, and the First item is more
appropriate to her age.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be offended.
Thanks. ;-)

P. Tierney

Old July 10th 03, 08:15 AM
Denise

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
[...]

We have a LeapPad for my oldest daughter (4 1/2). She adores it. My middle
dd, who is developmentally delayed, also adores it. We've taken it on
several long car trips, most recently from Washington to California. Its
done pretty good, all things considered. The books haven't done so well my
middle dd, mostly because she is a very very rough child, but the actual
LeapPad has survived being thrown, launched, left outside at Grandma's
house, fought over.. etc.
I personally, wouldn't bother with the First Leap-thingy. I looked at it
when the two started fighting over the LeapPad, but I found that I liked the
way the LeapPad grew with the child. I can get books that are suitable for
the 3 year old, or books that are suitable for the almost-5year old. With
the First LeapPad, you're sort of stuck with the pre-reading books, from
what I could tell.
I've never had a problem with either of the girls spending too much time on
the LeapPad. I've never had to regulate how long they use it or anything.
Usually my oldest will go through one book and then put it away for a couple
days. It doesn't seem very video-gamey to me, mostly because there's not a
lot of mindless play you can do with it.
HTH,
Denise

Old July 10th 03, 12:07 PM
thumper

"P. Tierney" wrote in message news:1c8Pa.24540$N7.2778@sccrnsc03...
My spouse and I have two areas of disagreement on the
LeapPad/Frog/Thing.
I'd appreciate any input. They are in the areas of:

1. Should we buy a LeapPad "system" for our child?

We have a LeapPad thing, and an almost 3yo boy, so I'll share our
experience. But bear in mind he's only had it a couple weeks, and
he's a little young based on LeapFrog's guideline (which says 4+).
Grandma bought it, and all the cousins have had one (ages 4-10) and
are said to enjoy them.

All that said, DS is totally uninterested in it, except to make it
make noise (it actually doesn't make lights). He has two books, one
came with it and the other is Winnie-the-Pooh-does-math or something.
He's asked me several times to read him that book, and has asked if I
wanted him to read the book to me, but really doesn't want to have the
thing read to him.

[...]

I'm with you on this one. But these days finding children's toys that
*don't* make noise/lights is so hard (except for a few awesome stores
and on-line sites. ToysRUs, forgetaboutit!) So far, there's nothing
to be learned in the books we have that we don't already know or talk
about. We've played some of the games together (counting in this
case), but there's just nothing in it that we don't do with regular
books anyway. Maybe when he's older and wants to play with it on his
own it would be different, but then I think he'll be too old for it
anyway.

I'm not that interested in getting DS to learn to use a computer yet.
Still at 3yo, I want him to learn by exploring things with his hands
and mind, with or without me, not so much by pressing buttons.

Also, *I* can't always understand the words coming out of the LeapFrog
things (we also have a school bus with letters) so it's hard to
imagine DS is actually learning anything. He likes the bus because he
can press buttons and make music or sounds. OK, I admit it. He likes
to play the wheels on the bus song 5 million times in a row. And it's
a big yellow school bus, still a bit hit around here.

[...]

Look at the books available for each and decide. I noticed at Zany
Brainy the other day that the First LeapPad had some books with music
and activities that I thought DS might actually enjoy more than the
regular one he has. In anycase, since he's not all that interested in
it, by the time he *might* like it, those books would probably be way
too young for him.

The regular one is kind of big; DS can't really sit in a seat by
himself with it in his lap, as he'd have to for travel. Well I can't
imagine he'd use headphones either so we wouldn't take it on public
transportation, at least not as he currently uses it.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be offended.
Thanks. ;-)

P. Tierney

So far, I wouldn't get one again. At least I didn't pay for it! Has
your DD tried it out in the store? Or at a friend's house? You might
see how interested she is and then decide.

Take care,
Lisa
Old July 10th 03, 01:50 PM
Sue

Wow, you guys are really overthinking this, imo.

I just bought the regular LeapPad. My girls have liked it, but they really
haven't shown that much interest in it. I just bought it because I thought
it was a cool thing and the girls could take turns using it and perhaps bone
up on the reading skills for my 6-year-old and maybe make math fun for my
oldest daughter. It's gone on a few trips with us and held up with my three.
I didn't even consider the First LeapPad, as my girls are much older than
your daughter. Books for the regular leap pad is nice because you can buy a
variety of books for it, so as your daughter grows you can buy more books.
But, I don't think the interest is really going to be there for a while. It
isn't like a Gameboy where you have to monitor its use. My girls are no
where near on it enough to even be worried about it. And I can't imagine one
toy being used so much by a baby that you will have to worry. They don't
really have the attention span to over use it. I wouldn't worry over her
imagination.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old July 10th 03, 02:32 PM
Kari

We have one for our kids and they both love it. We bought it for my daughter
Christmas of 2001 and it is still used quite a bit. My son, who is 4 now
uses it much more since my daughter can read very well and most of the books
are too easy for her. I plan on buying her a Quantum pad for this year as
I've been so impressed with the Leap Pad.

Mind you, I am not thrilled with light up, loud, electronic toys. In fact,
I've gotten rid of 99% of them but the leap pad, IMO is different. Both my
kids have learned all of their states with capitals, basic reading skills
like identifying words and whatnot and math skills like counting money and
telling time. Plus the stories are interesting enough and to keep them
occupied for 30 minutes in the car when I can't be reading to my son. Or we
do the leap pad together on the sofa while dinner is baking or something. I
would definately recommend it though!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

Old July 10th 03, 04:31 PM
Donna Metler

We have these at school, for our younger children to take home and use
there. They've held up quite well (and its very amusing to see a 5th or 6th
grader sit with a kindergartener in the cafeteria because the older child
wants to play with the leap pad)

Our children down to age 3 use the regular ones.

Don't assume it will teach your child to read (I don't think you are-but we
have some parents who think that this replaces them reading to their
child-same with the books on tape that we send home).

Get the leap-link, because it is much cheaper to download new materials than
to keep buying them. When you download and print a new book, take it to a
copy shop or teacher supply store and laminate it before giving it to your
child. Buy multiple reusable cartridges so you can have more than one
downloadable book, and save the downloaded file on your PC so you can
download it to the cartridge when the child decides, 6 months later, that
they want to do that book again!

Old July 10th 03, 05:19 PM
P. Tierney

Default Electroinic Toys (was LeapPad/LeapFrog thoughts wanted)

"Nan" wrote:

Fwiw, I do tend to agree that not all toys need to be electronic, nor
do they need to be touted as "educational", for that matter. And I
tend to avoid electronic toys like the plague, in favor of the more
traditional type.

How successful are you (or anyone else?) at doing this? I've tried to
do the same, but I still have two leapfrog products (gifts), a keyboard
(which I like), sit and spin (which I asked for and received as a gift, but
had no idea that it lights up and plays music), and a fair number of
other little gadgets, mostly as gifts. And at my in-law's, *everything*
makes tons of noise, all from toys that they bought at garage sales
and the like.

I've not avoided them to the same degree that I've avoided, for
example, violent toys. But I've tried to minimize them and have not
had a ton of success. Others?

(And I've not decided on the LeapThing yet, btw. I'm still hoping to
read some more messages, and perhaps look at the books, as someone
here suggested.)

P.
Tierney

Old July 10th 03, 05:31 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Cheryl M. \(ChatBrat\)" wrote:

"P. Tierney" wrote in message

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be

offended.
Thanks. ;-)

P. Tierney

Personally, I wouldn't own one/will not own one for our daughter. I am very
much against anything that replaces parent/child reading time. As for the
imagination squelching debate, the jury is still out on that one.

When it comes to reading, nothing beats a big arm chair and a cuddly
kid/parent combo imo.

theother Cheryl

You are assuming that the machine is always used to REPLACE parent/child
reading time. While some families might use it that way, I suspect most
use it as an additional activity.

After all, you wouldn't insist that they never read or look at a book
by themselves because parent/child reading time is important!

It's just a tool, capable of being used well.

meh

Old July 10th 03, 05:48 PM
Denise

"Nan" wrote in message

I honestly don't see how a LeapPad would "replace" parent/child
reading time. If a parent still spends a good amount of time reading,
the LeapPad is simply an additional tool, or toy.

Nan

I agree. My daughter still gets a ton of parent/child reading time. The
LeapPad is just something she can do while I'm busy with her sisters or
making dinner or when she's craving alone time.

Old July 10th 03, 06:04 PM
dragonlady

In article OmgPa.23122$OZ2.4100@rwcrnsc54,
"P. Tierney" wrote:

"Nan" wrote:

[...]

Until my kids were close to their teens, I did pretty well. Sometimes,
I'd get frustrated to see some toy or game that I'd really liked that
had been "turned" electronic. I can remember a few Christmases being
delighted to realize that not one single gift required plugging in or
batteries!

On the other hand, there are some electronic things that I like and have
gone out of my way to get, mostly in the music category (stereos,
personal CD players) and some games (Simon Says). In fact, now, between
the portable CD players and the PDAs in the house, I find I have to keep
double and triple A batteries in the house.

meh