Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

Old April 10th 04, 07:14 AM
Nikki

Default Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan.

OMG how scary for her...and utterly miserable I'd think. My thoughts are
with her and I'm definitely wishing her a quick and speedy recovery.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 10th 04, 01:36 PM
Sophie

"Mary Gordon" wrote in message
om...
Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

Mary G.

Well from the update, I got the impression Nan was discharged after having
the baby then went back to have the staples removed. I don't understand
that at all. I've always had mine removed before discharge and never had a
problem. The only time I hear of infection/problem is when the woman goes
home with the staples in.

Old April 10th 04, 01:40 PM
Jacqui

Sophie wibbled

Well from the update, I got the impression Nan was discharged
after having the baby then went back to have the staples removed.
I don't understand that at all. I've always had mine removed
before discharge and never had a problem. The only time I hear of
infection/problem is when the woman goes home with the staples in.

Mine was infected before discharge (day 7) but because no one would
make a decision about the stitches (there was weeping but they couldn't
see where from; the stitches were too tight but they disagreed about
whether removing them would make the wound reopen...) I went home with
them in anyway. 2 days of that (in a heatwave) and it was clear things
were not good, so the MW removed them on day 9. Cue six lots of
antibiotics and eight weeks of wound treatment. :-(

Jac
Old April 10th 04, 07:31 PM
Donna

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Mary Gordon wrote:

Actually, I requested the dissolving stitches
because I cringed at the thought of being "stapled." They also did a
few rows internally before the outside was stitched.

Same here. A few layers stitched inside, then stitching of the external
incision.

Poor, poor Nan. How absolutely terrifying.

Is there any more news as of today?

Donna

Old April 10th 04, 09:19 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Donna wrote:

Is there any more news as of today?

No. Nothing more has been posted. :-(

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 10th 04, 09:33 PM
Iuil

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote

I had those as well. Actually, I requested the dissolving stitches
because I cringed at the thought of being "stapled." They also did a
few rows internally before the outside was stitched.

Externally I had a single "running stitch" with a bead at each end. It was
removed on the fourth day (? - I think it was the day before I was
discharged) and there was no problem.

I've only heard of staples being used on large wounds in posts here - afaik,
they're not used at all over here.

Jean

Old April 11th 04, 02:36 AM
JennP

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...

I teared up reading her dh's post. Terrifying would be a most proper
description.

I read that post too and had the same reaction. Terrifying and horrifying.
The poor thing. I hope that she heals ok. Have there been any more updates,
Brigitte?
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old April 11th 04, 02:47 AM
Alpha

Vicky says:

This scares me, though, since there's a possibility that I might have to
have a c-section. Makes me think that if I have to have one, I'll
demand the dissolving sutures.

FWIW, I had staples the first time around and healed exactly as I should
have. I had dissolving stitches the second time around, and there was a 1-
inch segment of my incision that refused to heal. I had it cauterized at 6
weeks postpartum (which was traumatic for me), but that didn't work. It
didn't stop bleeding until 3 months postpartum. Awful.

If you can avoid a c/s, do. :-)

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn
Old April 11th 04, 03:26 AM
DeliciousTruffles

JennP wrote:

Have there been any more updates, Brigitte?

No. Nothing yet. :-(

Old April 11th 04, 07:09 AM
Irrational Number

"Mary Gordon" wrote in message
om...

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches.

My OB said that I needed staples because they're
stronger and I had the large vertical incision.
Got half of them removed at 1 week, the rest at
2 weeks. I did not have any problems.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE