Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

Old April 11th 04, 07:13 PM
Irene

Default Postive thoughts for Nan, please!

DeliciousTruffles wrote in message ...
Her DH just posted over at alt.mothers that there has been a
complication with Nan. She had her staples removed Wednesday (she had a
c-section on March 31) and her incision *completely* opened up while in
the pharmacy getting her medication. She was taken back to hospital by
ambulance and is still there. They don't know when she will be released.

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

Yikes! That just sounds terrifying! I'm definitely sending positive
thought in her direction!

Irene
Old April 12th 04, 01:24 AM
Unadulterated Me

Mary Gordon wrote:

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

Mary G.

Was that dissolvable on the outside as in you could see the stitches
like on head wounds, or disolvable on the inside? I didn't have any
stitches on the outside just the inside one. I had a double layer
uterine closure with an extra figure 8 closure on the uterine tear I
sustained during the operation. Regular closure of the rectus sheath,
then a subcuticular closure to the skin, so nothing was visible from the
outside. All I have now is a small fine line above my pubic hair line. I
didn't get one of the shelves or bulges that c/section mums talk about
either it's all flat so I don't know if my surgery technique had
anything to do with that or whether it was just one of those things. I
did have haematoma ridges on either side of the wound for a few weeks
though that were pretty painful.
Here's a cute little flash on the type of closure I had.
http://www.constantinestudios.com/animation2.html

Andrea
Old April 12th 04, 01:35 AM
Unadulterated Me

Sophie wrote:

"Mary Gordon" wrote in message
om...

Makes me SO glad that when I had my section, they sutured me all the
way with the dissolving stitches. I can still remember the nurse
coming to take out my staples, and being amazed I had none. I dunno,
maybe they had a med student practicing sutures. Healed to a close to
invisible hairline as well - and I do know several people who had
staples who had the wound come open again, although nothing like poor
Nan. That must have been terrifying.

Mary G.

Well from the update, I got the impression Nan was discharged after having
the baby then went back to have the staples removed. I don't understand
that at all. I've always had mine removed before discharge and never had a
problem. The only time I hear of infection/problem is when the woman goes
home with the staples in.

Looking at the dates her hubby posted in a.m she had Abi ont he 31/3
came home on the 4/4 and had her staples out and wound rupture on the
7th. Is 4 day's in hospital about the average stay in the US? I self
discharged on day 4 but I didn't have to have anything removed I'm not
sure what the deal would be if their was stitches or staples to come
out, is that usually done so early or is it at 1 week?

Andrea
Old April 12th 04, 03:39 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Looking at the dates her hubby posted in a.m she had Abi ont he 31/3
came home on the 4/4 and had her staples out and wound rupture on the
7th. Is 4 day's in hospital about the average stay in the US? I self
discharged on day 4 but I didn't have to have anything removed I'm not
sure what the deal would be if their was stitches or staples to come
out, is that usually done so early or is it at 1 week?

I believe the average stay for a c-section in the States is 4 days. In
Canada it is 3-4 days. Although, I was discharged 40 hours after my
c-section. I'm in Canada and I requested dissolvable stitches.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 12th 04, 03:40 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Was that dissolvable on the outside as in you could see the stitches
like on head wounds, or disolvable on the inside? I didn't have any
stitches on the outside just the inside one. I had a double layer
uterine closure with an extra figure 8 closure on the uterine tear I
sustained during the operation. Regular closure of the rectus sheath,
then a subcuticular closure to the skin, so nothing was visible from the
outside. All I have now is a small fine line above my pubic hair line. I
didn't get one of the shelves or bulges that c/section mums talk about
either it's all flat so I don't know if my surgery technique had
anything to do with that or whether it was just one of those things. I
did have haematoma ridges on either side of the wound for a few weeks
though that were pretty painful.

I had the same as you WRT to the stitching.

Old April 12th 04, 07:00 AM
Daye

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:39:22 -0700, DeliciousTruffles
wrote:

I believe the average stay for a c-section in the States is 4 days. In
Canada it is 3-4 days.

In Australia, the average is 5 days.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old April 12th 04, 10:39 AM
Anne Rogers

I believe the average stay for a c-section in the States is 4 days. In
Canada it is 3-4 days.

In Australia, the average is 5 days.

I might be wrong, but it seems to be 3 nights at our local hospital,
provided a blood test on the third morning comes back fine.
Old April 12th 04, 04:04 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:31:47 -0700, DeliciousTruffles wrote:

I think she needs as many positive thoughts as we can muster right now.

You just had me speechless there..
*~*~*~*~*~positive thoughts for Nan~*~*~*~*~*

--
-- I
mommy to DS (20m)

Old April 12th 04, 04:35 PM
Mary W.

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Sophie wrote:

[...]

My stay was 3 nights (baby born Sunday at 2 pm, I checked out Wed
~ 7pm (to avoid rush hour traffic!)). My staples were removed on Wed
before discharge. I didn't go back to the OB until my 6 week followup.
They did leave tape over the scar after the staples were removed.

FWIW, I had no problems with my scar, no infection or bruising.
It was a bit tender if pressed for awhile but other than that, it was fine.

Mary

Old April 12th 04, 06:47 PM
Sophie

My stay was 3 nights (baby born Sunday at 2 pm, I checked out Wed
~ 7pm (to avoid rush hour traffic!)). My staples were removed on Wed
before discharge. I didn't go back to the OB until my 6 week followup.
They did leave tape over the scar after the staples were removed.

FWIW, I had no problems with my scar, no infection or bruising.
It was a bit tender if pressed for awhile but other than that, it was

fine.

Mary

Same here. I stay 3 nights, get my staples removed the day I get
discharged, they put tape on the scar that just comes off on its own. No
more check-ups till the 6 week one. Never had any problems.