dyslexia question

Old January 16th 04, 04:38 PM
lizzard woman

Default dyslexia question

"H Schinske" wrote in message

(snip...)

(I thought all kids said busgetti, for instance!).

Actually, we said "pisgetti". ; )

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old January 16th 04, 06:13 PM
GandSBrock

thank you all for your replies. My concern stems from much more that just
writing letters backwards - and gee, that list Helen found, can we say check on
almost all of them?! I think a lot of that is just common. Anyway, I'll do a
little research and just keep a close eye on them.

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

Old January 16th 04, 10:43 PM
shirley

FYI, just talked to our speech path at school this PM and she said there is
a problem sometimes with what she called "processing" words and it isn't
really dyslexia and can be easily worked on with weekly speech lessons. She
went into great detail about the processing issue as we have a teacher whose
child is 7 and seems to have this problem.

Shirley

Old January 19th 04, 06:59 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Stephanie,

I can't help you with what the early signs are. However, my DD had me very
worried as she wrote her letters and numbers backwards up until and partway
throught first grade. It is very common. I asked a good friend of mine who
used to teach first grade and she asked me a simple question: "When she opens
a book, does she start at the beginning and turn the pages correctly to get to
the end of the book?" Apparently if they open a book and start at the back
that *can* be a sign of dyslexia (I suppose it would have to happen pretty much
every time). Just something to look for.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old January 20th 04, 02:10 AM
GandSBrock

Well, some of the things I'm concerned about are, for example Ryan will write
his name totally backwards: n-a-y-R and he always makes his "a" as a circle
with the line on the left. I'm not fretting the "a", but his name being
backwards. It's not always, but an awful lot. And Jake will get books and
look at them upside down. At 4 years old! Not always, but often enough to
think to yourself - can't you tell that it's upside down? And then sometimes
they say words in the wrong sequence.

That's all I can think of at the moment. It's bedtime, gotta go!

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99