How Can I Teach My Toddler to Share?

Old September 26th 04, 09:00 AM
Gary Hendricks

Default How Can I Teach My Toddler to Share?

Article: How Can I Teach My Toddler to Share?

"My toddler seems so selfish. He can't stand to let other
kids play with anything of his. How can I teach him to
share?"

Now, that's a common complaint I hear from parents. When
your toddler refuses to share his favorite truck during
playtime, he isn't really being selfish - he's just acting
his age. Learning how to share is a skill he'll develop
over several years. To help them develop this skill, here
are a few pointers.

Kids learn by imitating what they see
Take every opportunity to show your child how to share.
Offer him a bite of your meal or a chance to assist in the
fun of decorating a cake. As you do, use the word "share" to
describe your behavior.

Praise your toddler's efforts
When your toddler attempts to share, praise his efforts.
Little by little, the positive reinforcement will make him
feel good since those actions seem to make mom and dad so
happy.

Proto-sharing
Toddlers do lots of "proto-sharing" - showing an object to
other people and allowing them to manipulate it without
quite letting go. Though it doesn't look like it, it's a big
step toward sharing, so reinforce it.

Hiding some playthings, sharing others
One way to encourage sharing is to let your child hide a few
of his most precious playthings before his friend comes
over. Tell him these toys are ones he doesn't have to share,
then put them away. Make sure your child is aware that
what's left is for everyone, though.

Don't punish your child
Never punish a child, especially one this age, for not
sharing. It is, after all, a very personal decision. You can
let him know you're disappointed and sad when he doesn't
share. But that's it - don't make a big deal out of it.

Hopefully the above tips will help you teach your kid how to
share. If you have trouble, you may want to consult your
family members for more advice.

Gary Hendricks
www.baby-product-guide.com