CS questions Maine vs. Texas?

Old December 30th 06, 11:53 PM posted to alt.child-support
Jaguar

Default CS questions Maine vs. Texas?

Hi Everybody,
I'm new to this group and very new to the world of CS. My husband was
married, now divorced with 1 child. The mother who is also the
custodial parent lives in Maine. He and I just moved to Texas. He has
been ordered to pay $380 a week! The divorce was finalized a few months
back. I dont even know how they came to that amount. During the divorce
he had a very lousy attorney who incidentally is now in rehab for a
cocaine addiction. What i'm wondering is how do we go about getting
this absurd amount of money reduced? I'm not sure if we file in Maine
or Texas. Do we need an attorney?
Thanks in advance.
J.

Old December 31st 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

"Jaguar" wrote
Hi Everybody,
I'm new to this group and very new to the world of CS. My husband was
married, now divorced with 1 child. The mother who is also the
custodial parent lives in Maine. He and I just moved to Texas. He has
been ordered to pay $380 a week! The divorce was finalized a few months
back. I dont even know how they came to that amount. During the divorce
he had a very lousy attorney who incidentally is now in rehab for a
cocaine addiction. What i'm wondering is how do we go about getting
this absurd amount of money reduced? I'm not sure if we file in Maine
or Texas. Do we need an attorney?

==
Perhaps. How long ago was the order established and where? Is it past the
time for appeal?
Support is established based on income. Did the court have his income
information? If the time
for appeal is past, and it appears to be, your only recourse is to file for
a modification based on
change of circumstances--but, the circumstances must have changed. You need
to file in the state
that established the order. In your case, I would recommend an attorney.

Old December 31st 06, 02:30 AM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"Jaguar" wrote
Hi Everybody,
I'm new to this group and very new to the world of CS. My husband was
married, now divorced with 1 child. The mother who is also the
custodial parent lives in Maine. He and I just moved to Texas. He has
been ordered to pay $380 a week! The divorce was finalized a few months
back.

OMG, that is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are past the 30 days to file an appeal, but you can file in Maine for a
downward modification based on change of circumstance!

You can have an attorney appear for you at the hearing in Maine, should cost
around $400 bucks.

Old December 31st 06, 03:00 AM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

"DB" wrote
"Jaguar" wrote
Hi Everybody,
I'm new to this group and very new to the world of CS. My husband was
married, now divorced with 1 child. The mother who is also the
custodial parent lives in Maine. He and I just moved to Texas. He has
been ordered to pay $380 a week! The divorce was finalized a few months
back.

OMG, that is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are past the 30 days to file an appeal, but you can file in Maine for
a downward modification based on change of circumstance!

You can have an attorney appear for you at the hearing in Maine, should
cost around $400 bucks.

==
Huh? That's the going rate for an atty. to handle a Maine CS case? Damn! We
had to plunk down a $2000. retainer! Where'd you find a ME atty for 400.?

Old December 31st 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

Gini wrote:
[...]

Gini, he was referring to an attorney showing up at the hearing, not an
attorney handling the whole case. Going rate for an attorney is
probably 200 an hour in ME. It is a simple matter.

Old December 31st 06, 05:47 AM posted to alt.child-support
DB

wrote in

You can have an attorney appear for you at the hearing in Maine, should
cost around $400 bucks.

==
Huh? That's the going rate for an atty. to handle a Maine CS case? Damn!
We
had to plunk down a $2000. retainer! Where'd you find a ME atty for 400.?

Gini, he was referring to an attorney showing up at the hearing, not an
attorney handling the whole case. Going rate for an attorney is
probably 200 an hour in ME. It is a simple matter.

Yes, I spent $350 to have an attorney to show up for me at a modification
hearing.
They adjusted it down, but then tacked on child care payments too.
It was a wasted $350 bucks!

Old December 31st 06, 07:21 AM posted to alt.child-support
Jaguar

What is the difference between child support and child care payments?

Old December 31st 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"Jaguar" wrote in message
oups.com...

What is the difference between child support and child care payments?

It's another $120/wk for kids under 12. It's to cover day care expenses.
Roll Eyes

Old December 31st 06, 10:08 PM posted to alt.child-support
Jaguar

Thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard!

Old December 31st 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"Jaguar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard!

No more insane when the mother says I need more money for clothes too!

Maybe you can strainten some of these fools out!
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1134525AABHGeX