Kids and cavities

Old October 1st 03, 03:35 AM
Julie Seely

Default Kids and cavities

Hi, all --

Chris has awful teeth -- six cavities at his last checkup in May. I had
always figured that cavities in baby teeth would just be watched, but
his dentist said that all six had to be filled. So, to those of you
with kids with cavities, does your dentist ever just take a "watchful
waiting" approach? Chris has already had all six teeth filled, but I'm
wondering for future reference.

Next question: one of his back teeth (not the two year molar, but the
next one toward the front -- "B" for anyone who knows the mouth diagram)
was filled and then abscessed. The dentist says that tooth needs to be
extracted, and we have an appointment scheduled for two weeks from now
for this, but I keep wondering whether this is something that a root
canal might fix?

I know zilch about dentistry, and feel like I'm pretty much at the mercy
of the dentist. Anyone out there have any words of wisdom?

Julie
Mom to Erica & Chris, 07/97
Old October 1st 03, 10:25 PM
shirley

You can't do root canal on kids teeth, they call it a pulpotomy (sp?). It's
scrapping the pulp out of the tooth but extraction is only due usually to
the abscess. Yes, you need the tooth for the adult teeth to follow behind
but it also needs to be there because of the spacing issue. If it's the
last tooth, I would not worry now. As far as the cavities, does the child
brush himself or do you do it for him. My DH is a retired dentist and
professor of dentistry (25 years of teaching/practicing), I was an assistant
and my twins have braces. We still brush their teeth (at 8.5). We have
electric brushes, expensive and cheap, they floss and neither have cavities.
Each dentist I've worked for (also worked at Northwestern Dental School for
5 years), have given advice to parents that you don't let them brush UNTIL
you are ready to pay for the dental work. Brush, brush, brush. Limit the
gooey stuff, raisins, white bread, and other stuff. Cavities grow in a
triangle form. By the time you see it, it's already huge under the pinhole
that is seen. So even a pin point needs care, and every 6 months is a must
for kids especially. That way they can get the cavities under control
before they get abscessed. Also sealents and fluoride treatments are great
(I know there are those of you who are anti fluoride but seal the teeth with
the plastic covers that are offered on the back teeth and you will save a
huge amount of time and money). Anyhow, it sounds as if your dentist is on
the right track.

Good luck and happy brushing.

Shirley

"GandSBrock" wrote in message
We haven't had our first dentist appointment yet! Yikes. It's coming up

this
month. So I don't have any words of wisdom. But I do know with adults
dentists "watch" spots on your teeth. I guess they wait for them to

become
full blown cavities, I don't know.

I would question the extraction, just because don't you need the baby

teeth in
place to keep everything aligned for the adult teeth to come in the right

way?
But I also think a root canal is pretty drastic, I'm sure the extraction

would
be easier. I would ask him about the consequences of that tooth being

absent.

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99

Old October 2nd 03, 01:20 AM
Julie Seely

Thanks Shirley (and Stephanie) --

The kids brush themselves now, though I may start doing it for them once
a day again. It is definitely one of those hindsight is 20/20 things.
That said, Erica's teeth are (knock on wood) fine.

The dentist said that after the back tooth is extracted, they would put
a "spacer" (?) in so that the teeth wouldn't shift.

And yes, I *definitely* plan on having their teeth sealed. Chris'
6-year molars are in, but not quite all of the way yet.

We live in a rural area and the water is not fluoridated; we have a tiny
bit of fluoride in our well water, but not much. Fluoride drops were
prescribed, but since Chris drinks milk all day, it has always been hard
to find a time to give him the fluoride, as it can't be given within two
hours of milk.

I guess my major question then would be whether a tooth that has
abscessed could be "saved" via pulpotomy. Is the pulpotomy more
traumatic than extraction? It seems to me that he's going to have seven
years of careful eating, what with missing a tooth on one side, and that
having something -- anything -- there would be preferable. Yes? No?
Anyone out there with experience?

Julie

Old October 2nd 03, 01:53 AM
shirley

Julie, I'll ask my DH about your question. I know a lot of the peripheral
things about dentistry but the very specifics (pulp vs. extraction) is his
domain. He's teaching tonight so I'll grab him tomorrow afternoon to get
your question answered.

Shirley

Old October 2nd 03, 12:34 PM
Julie Seely

Thanks, David. I'll stop worrying about the calcium thing. It can't be
too late for the 12-years and the wisdom teeth yet, I hope!

Julie

David desJardins wrote:

Julie Seely writes:
We live in a rural area and the water is not fluoridated; we have a
tiny bit of fluoride in our well water, but not much. Fluoride drops
were prescribed, but since Chris drinks milk all day, it has always
been hard to find a time to give him the fluoride, as it can't be
given within two hours of milk.

I wouldn't worry about this so much. Calcium does interfere with the
absorption of fluoride, which is why the instructions say to avoid
giving the fluoride with milk, but it's certainly much better to take
the fluoride and have its effectiveness be slightly reduced, than to not
take it at all. The combination of fluoride with milk isn't going to do
you any harm. In fact, several successful studies have shown that
fluoridated milk can be effective in preventing tooth decay, in children
not receiving fluoride from other sources.

David desJardins

Floride Question Tori M. General 20 July 9th 06 03:00 AM
My 5 year old has 8 cavities ted Kids Health 5 April 4th 04 10:42 AM
Cavities Double After Fluoridation NYSCOF Kids Health 3 December 1st 03 01:17 AM
Kids and cavities nyscof Kids Health 0 October 6th 03 11:45 AM
Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide? Wendy Marsden General 255 October 2nd 03 09:44 PM