18 month old Vocabulary

Old April 10th 04, 06:45 PM
KimandJuan

Default 18 month old Vocabulary

Hi...

What are you 18-24 month olds saying at this point? It seems like Alexis was
saying much more then the babies are at this age.
Emma says "wow wow" for a dog, Agua for water and, sheesh for cheese anytime
she sees a camera and daddy and mommy.
Aislyn says mama and cheese and nothing more.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/
Old April 11th 04, 03:37 AM
Megan Byrne

Kim,
I am glad to know that your girls aren't talking that much either.
Alexis says more than Aidan. She says, Mama, Dada, Matt, (DH's name),
Pop-Pop (my Dad), Hi, yeah, down, this, hot, fish, Ba-Ba (Grandma in
Russian)

Aidan basically just says Mom, Da, Ba-Ba, down and Matt.

But, they know so many more "commands", like where is your socks, do you
want a tubby and stuff like that. And, they know how to shake their head
yes and no.

They babble constantly to each other and as long as they are babbling,
that is what I think is important.

Megan~
Mommy to A & A
18 months old!!!

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis
***New Pictures 02/04***

Old April 11th 04, 03:44 AM
Peggy

I am hearing everywhere that multiples are late in their speech development,
predominantly because of their ability to communicate with one another in
their own language, and due to less one-on-one conversation from parents as
compared to singleton children.

My girls will be 2 years old next month. One of my daughters will mimic
words she hears, will try to sing songs and can communicate something she
wants. My other daughter barely has five words and does not even say "mama"
on a regular basis. I've notived lately though that she seems to be
improving in her UNDERSTANDING of language. She will go get a toy if I ask
her where it is, or come to her high chair if I ask her if she's hungry.
I'm thinking that if her language comprehension is improving, her speech
will soon follow.

My son started talking at the age of 9 months, and was speaking in full
sentences at the age the girls are now. So, I'm definitely convinced that
this is a twin issue. It seems that a lot of us are in the same boat. I'm
going to metion it to our pediatrician next month when they have their
2-year check-up.

Peggy

--
http://www.babygardengifts.com
"H Schinske" wrote in message

What are you 18-24 month olds saying at this point? It seems like

Alexis
was
saying much more then the babies are at this age.
Emma says "wow wow" for a dog, Agua for water and, sheesh for cheese

anytime
she sees a camera and daddy and mommy.
Aislyn says mama and cheese and nothing more.

My son had no words at all until after 18 months, not even Mama. (My girls

had
some words by that age, but not a great many -- I don't think they were

way
ahead of yours.) I wouldn't worry just yet as long as you are pretty sure

that
their hearing is fine. The standard I have heard is that you consider
consulting with a speech pathologist if they don't have around 50 words by
around 2 years of age. My son had about 35 words at age two, and I did
eventually have him evaluated. He was on the low side for expressive

speech,
but not low enough to need therapy, and his hearing, receptive speech

(what he
understood) and enunciation were all very good for his age.

--Helen