two questions about age "milestones"

Old May 6th 04, 07:48 PM
Terri and Rob

Default Sibling rivalry --was: two questions about age "milestones"

I think putting them in separate classes next year will make it at least
a little better. I don't experience sibling rivalry within my own
children yet, but I am a teacher and have had experience with older
twins. It is usually recommended by my principal that twins be put into
separate classes because that way they get a break from each other.
Otherwise they are pretty much together 24-7 which is bound to instill
conflict in anyone. As for your current situation, I have no answers,
since I have not experienced it in my own children yet.

--
Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)

Old May 9th 04, 03:34 AM
Andrea

Do I just have to
deal-- I was an only child so this is all new to me.

I'm right there with ya Cindy. My girls have been going at it with each
other too and lately they've added the "My picture/hair/doll/_____(fill in the
blank) is prettier than yours" etc., etc. It drives me up the wall!

Madison is more physical with the abuse to her sister and Jordan is more
verbal with it. Since I was an only child I don't know if it's just normal
sibling rivalry or if my kids are just hateful, horrible little creatures. :{
Their hatefulness seems to be confined to each other, which I'm thankful for.
At least they don't treat their friends that way.

I do time-out for the behavior all the time it seems like. I've also tried to
let them know how it makes the other one feel when they're mean to each other,
but that's not working either. I wish I could give them more one-on-one time,
but I don't have the opportunity to do that much. Sorry I'm not much help. I
just wanted to commiserate with you.

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3/22/00

Old May 9th 04, 02:07 PM
shirley

My 9 year olds (almost 9.5) are at not only separate classes but schools and
sibling rivalry is a matter of life. We try to get each involved in
something else but there is still the "STOP IT" yelled at an volume of 10
and "you are a worm" (their vocabulary doesn't grow much either), and many
other things. We usually say knock it off, but in a car or close together
they can either be their worst enemies or best friends. Bribing works but
not all the time. Short of telling them "I don't want to hear that" and
using the arbitration table if the problem is huge, I believe it's just
being brothers and sisters. My pediatrician said that he and his twin could
not go down a hall without slugging each other to see how hard they could
hit the other one. Generally mom never caught them but he said they lived
and are the best of friends (now in their 60's). So I believe it a fact of
life, without letting them go too far and get too hurtful. Apologize if
they have to after something really gross is said "you eat green
unmentionable". Anyhow, they even pick up more fun things in school. Good
luck.

Shirley

. ..

Old May 10th 04, 11:57 PM
multimom4

"shirley" wrote in message
My 9 year olds (almost 9.5) are at not only separate classes but schools

and
sibling rivalry is a matter of life.

We are working hard to separate ours more -- E has taken up tae kwon do
again, which all three used to do, but unless they beg neither of the others
will be permitted to invade this choice. And of course three separate first
grade classes. And this summer I have them enrolled in three separate
swimming lessons even though they are all basically at the same level. I
*know* that separating them does help. But still the rivalry (in the form
of "what's he got that I didn't and what am I missing out on?") remains
thick around here. My mother sends them comics/magazines from time to time
and last Friday I gave each boy their favorite out of the package and then
watched in disbelief as they spent the next 15 minutes ignoring their own
but trying to shove their jealous noses into the *other's* magazine to see
what they were missing out on.

We try to get each involved in
something else but there is still the "STOP IT" yelled at an volume of 10
and "you are a worm" (their vocabulary doesn't grow much either), and many
other things.

Don't forget "I'm telling Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!" shrieked at high pitch.

We usually say knock it off, but in a car or close together
they can either be their worst enemies or best friends.

Ain't that the truth -- one day they're punching each other in the back
seat, the next they are giggling over (terrible) knock knock jokes.

Bribing works but
not all the time.

Maybe I'm cheap, but mostly I rely on threats, not promises. :-)

Short of telling them "I don't want to hear that" and
using the arbitration table if the problem is huge, I believe it's just
being brothers and sisters.

I'm glad to hear someone else has been trying the "I don't want to hear
that" line. Mine frequently descends these days into "... so just go away",
too. Or time out to calm down in their rooms. Or anything else I can think
of that STOPS the noise FAST ....

I really hope it's all "normal" or I've got some maniacs on my hands. But
judging by the agreement on this ng I feel somewhat reassured that it must
be ok.

snip

Anyhow, they even pick up more fun things in school.

Another terrible truth. Since entering first grade / public school system I
just cannot *believe* the burp/f**t/snot garbage that has suddenly appeared
and gets recirculated at every meal (why only at mealtimes, btw???????).
Coupled with "you stink" or "your breath stinks" or "I don't want to sit
next to X, (s)he stinks" or .....

Maybe being one of three girls I was more sheltered than I realized!

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

Shirley