kids and their furniture?

Old February 10th 06, 02:49 PM posted to misc.kids

Default kids and their furniture?

Rosalie B. wrote:
toto wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:56:53 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

toto wrote:

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 02:19:07 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

toto wrote:

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 22:12:21 +0000 (UTC), Penny Gaines
wrote:

I can't remember ever having a fuss made about it, but using the
score card that came with a game was just something we didn't
do, growing up. We just used some scrap paper instead.

Interesting. Why would you not use it?

I felt the same way to an extent. It is because there is a finite
amount of the score cards or whatever, and when it runs out (before
the days when everyone had access to a copier), then you will have to
use scrap paper and it is a lot easier to use scrap paper if you have
a clean example sheet to go by. It isn't necessary for things like
bridge scores where you can go buy the pads at any stationary store
(or at least you used to be able to - I haven't tried in some time).

I guess I might not use the *last* one if it was being kept as an
example, but I can't see leaving the whole pad for that purpose.

Oh, well. Different strokes.

You might not use the last one, but some other more clueless person
might. So we keep those precious score pads for those people so the
last sheet doesn't ever get used g

See I would hide the last one away somewhere and then use it as a
model after the other were gone. Of course, I also remember being
able to buy the score pads even when I was younger.

If I don't put stuff for the game away with the game, it will be
separated forever - never to be found again until the game has
disintegrated or been sold at a yard sale because we can't find the
score pads.

You could create a file with examples of one each of game pads, and
keep it in your file cabinet with other documents and receipts. Or you
could scan one, so that you always have an example. With respect to
forms (not from games), I usually put a sticky on the last one,
reminding me to make copies before I write all over it.

Barbara

Old February 10th 06, 03:31 PM posted to misc.kids

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Honestly, I go with D, none of the above. I don't think a host *should* ask
someone to remove their clothing.

Miss Manners agrees with you, and I do think it is a
hardship to some guests to be asked to remove their shoes.

I go barefoot much of the time even outdoors. I always wonder, when
guests come to the door, if I should put on shoes. My feet are not
particularly pretty. Most of the time I just figure that they don't
have to look.

In my children's homes, I take off my shoes in the way of making
myself at home. I'd be happy to take off my shoes at anyone's house
if I didn't feel that I was undressing more than was polite.

I think in your own home you can go barefoot if you
want to, though I will put on shoes for anything that's not
casual (party, visitor who's not a good friend, that sort of
thing).
I do think there are people who are a bit horrified
at bare feet. If I think someone might have delicate
sensibilities in that direction, I'll probably keep my
shoes on in their home.

I think I got the idea that I shouldn't be barefoot from my mom. She
ALWAYS had to wear shoes, and so did her mother. My dad regularly
took off his shoes and so did all his family. My mom tells of an
incident where my dad and his brother and his mom were sitting in the
living room and she and my aunt (her SIL) came into the room and there
was a pile of shoes in the middle of the floor. The two of them just
looked at each other and shook their heads.

Yes I would wear shoes for a party. But if someone drops in on me
unexpectedly, or if the DHL or UPS guy comes to the door - they don't
get shoes on me.

My mom also insisted that I wear galoshes or something like that if it
was at all wet. My feet shouldn't get wet EVER (except maybe at the
beach). I'd get a cold or something. I've never seen the sense to
that. Shoes with rubber soles aren't going to fall apart if the
sidewalk is wet, and if they do, they were crappy shoes to begin with.

Later, she further confused me by telling me that if I got my feet wet
my period would stop, so in my innocence I thought that if I got my
feet wet, I'd get pregnant.

grandma Rosalie
Old February 10th 06, 06:19 PM posted to misc.kids

Rosalie B. wrote:

I think I got the idea that I shouldn't be barefoot from my mom. She
ALWAYS had to wear shoes, and so did her mother. My dad regularly
took off his shoes and so did all his family. My mom tells of an
incident where my dad and his brother and his mom were sitting in the
living room and she and my aunt (her SIL) came into the room and there
was a pile of shoes in the middle of the floor. The two of them just
looked at each other and shook their heads.

I think there are definitely people who believe it is
impolite to be barefoot. I figure it's one of those things
that depends on the formality of the situation. If it's very
casual and in my home, I probably won't wear shoes, but would
elsewhere. I pick up quickly on those people who have no-shoes
rules, and generally try to wear socks to their houses (not to
mention slip on shoes so it doesn't take me forever to extricate
myself from my shoes).

Yes I would wear shoes for a party. But if someone drops in on me
unexpectedly, or if the DHL or UPS guy comes to the door - they don't
get shoes on me.

My mom also insisted that I wear galoshes or something like that if it
was at all wet. My feet shouldn't get wet EVER (except maybe at the
beach). I'd get a cold or something. I've never seen the sense to
that. Shoes with rubber soles aren't going to fall apart if the
sidewalk is wet, and if they do, they were crappy shoes to begin with.

I heard that there was a recent study that found that
people who sat with their feet in a bucket of cold water got
sick more than people who didn't! I haven't had a chance to
try to look it up, but Mom was gloating over it ;-)

Later, she further confused me by telling me that if I got my feet wet
my period would stop, so in my innocence I thought that if I got my
feet wet, I'd get pregnant.

Goodness, that couldn't have been fun! Talk about incentive
to keep your feet dry....

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 10th 06, 07:04 PM posted to misc.kids

Default shoes in the house (was: kids and their furniture?)

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

The shoe thing is a tough one, as it's actually not
polite to require guests to remove their shoes. On the other
hand, it's not uncommon for people to do so anyway. I wouldn't
want to ask people if they wanted me to remove my shoes, as
anyone who *was* aware that it was rude might think I was
accusing them of being rude or that I was rude myself. So,
in the shoe case, I probably would look for clues and if I
didn't find any and the host was wearing shoes, I'd just
wipe my shoes well.

We never wear shoes in our house. When friends come by, of course I
don't ask them to take them off -- but dang, I wish they would. There's
a pile of shoes by the door and we're all walking around in our socks,
but if people can't take a hint (or have their own reasons for needing
to have shoes on), ah well.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that visitors will take their
kids' shoes off, but leave their own on. I haven't figured that one out
yet -- I know my own shoes are just as dirty as my son's are. This
happens even if the adults are wearing slip-ons and the kids have shoes
with laces, so it isn't just a velcro thing.

I'm in the habit of taking shoes off when I walk in a door, but I've
noticed a friend of mine _always_ wears shoes in her house, and has
talked about the problems of getting her kid to keep his shoes on
inside. It's incomprehensible to me, but I try to remember to keep my
shoes on when I'm there (even though I feel bad about it, as it feels
dirty to me). Maybe she's one of the people who thinks stocking feet
aren't proper.
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, due in April

Quoting, for users of Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...4213&topic=250
Old February 10th 06, 07:06 PM posted to misc.kids

wrote:

You might not use the last one, but some other more clueless person
might. So we keep those precious score pads for those people so the
last sheet doesn't ever get used g

See I would hide the last one away somewhere and then use it as a
model after the other were gone. Of course, I also remember being
able to buy the score pads even when I was younger.

Hell, now you can download them for free on the Web.

Old February 10th 06, 07:07 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
"Welches" wrote:

ps Anyone like cheese with their fruit cake?

Never tried it. What kind of cheese? Apple pie is even better with sharp
cheddar -- that's what makes it a breakfast food.

Old February 10th 06, 07:16 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
Anonymama wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

[...]

I've found this discussion pretty interesting. It never would have
occurred to me that some people might find my stocking (or bare) feet
somehow improper, and have never stopped to slip on shoes when answering
the door. On the other hand, I don't really care if people take their
shoes off when they're in my house -- whichever is more comfortable for
them is fine with me.)

I DO try to pay attention in other people's homes -- but if my knee has
been bothering me, or the foot I tore up so badly, I leave my (easy to
remove) Burkenstocks on, because otherwise I end up in pain. Today, my
foot is bothering me, and I find I rather resnt having to wear my shoes
around my own house!

(I have even taken my shoes off when teaching: I'll remind people that
Moses had to take his shoes off when he approached the burning bush, and
that, whenever we teach, we are walking on holy ground.)

Have you ever asked your friend why it's so important to her that her
son keep his shoes on in the house? I'd be curious -- though she may
not have a reason other than "because it's the proper thing to do", it
might lead to an interesting discussion of this particular cultural
difference (and I do see this as "just" a cultural difference.)

Old February 10th 06, 07:22 PM posted to misc.kids

Default shoes in the house

Anonymama wrote:

One interesting thing I've noticed is that visitors will take their
kids' shoes off, but leave their own on. I haven't figured that one out
yet -- I know my own shoes are just as dirty as my son's are. This
happens even if the adults are wearing slip-ons and the kids have shoes
with laces, so it isn't just a velcro thing.

I think a lot of people *do* think that the kids' shoes
are dirtier. That's certainly the case for me! I think it's
true, too. I'll walk around the puddle; my kids will go through.
I'll avoid the patches of red clay; the kids are oblivious.
If I keep my shoes on in my house, I'm not the one leaving
little clumps of mud behind ;-)
As another possibility, some little kids are hazardous
around other kids with shoes on--they inadvertently step on
each other, trip over things, etc. (not to mention the occasional
problem with kicking).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 10th 06, 07:27 PM posted to misc.kids

In article
,
dragonlady wrote:

Have you ever asked your friend why it's so important to her that her
son keep his shoes on in the house? I'd be curious -- though she may
not have a reason other than "because it's the proper thing to do", it
might lead to an interesting discussion of this particular cultural
difference (and I do see this as "just" a cultural difference.)

I haven't yet, but I plan to sometime when we're on neutral ground -- I
don't want to make her self-conscious, or too aware of my feet.

Old February 10th 06, 07:29 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

I think a lot of people *do* think that the kids' shoes
are dirtier. That's certainly the case for me! I think it's
true, too. I'll walk around the puddle; my kids will go through.
I'll avoid the patches of red clay; the kids are oblivious.
If I keep my shoes on in my house, I'm not the one leaving
little clumps of mud behind ;-)

Ah, see, there's the difference -- I _am_ leaving clumps of mud behind!
We live in Seattle, where there's so much dang mud some days it's
impossible to avoid. It'll even happen when we've been out in the back
yard. But it isn't that big of a deal -- it doesn't take that long to
sweep, mop, vacuum...

As another possibility, some little kids are hazardous
around other kids with shoes on--they inadvertently step on
each other, trip over things, etc. (not to mention the occasional
problem with kicking).

Yeah, that must be it. I think of it more as a cleanliness issue, but
they're also (or instead) looking at it from that point of view.