Meds after C-section

Old June 14th 07, 04:30 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Default Meds after C-section

Thanks. The reason I ask is that an aquaintance is talking with a
propsective birthmother who will be having a c-section, and the pbm can't
sign the relinquishment papers until she has been off meds for 24 hours.
So she is trying to figure out about how long that might be. The average
time for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5 days, right?
So it seems like including the time spent in the hospital, the average
time on meds might be about a week? Barring unforseen circumstances, of
course.

Would seem about right, though many mothers have a desire to be off meds due
to breastfeeding and a pbm wouldn't have this desire and may take meds
longer. I would query the reason for this, I can totally understand you
don't want someone signing something doped up on morphine 24hrs after the
birth, but the stuff you take home with you isn't usually this strength. Due
to the issues I had with my last birth, I'm still on pretty strong
painkillers and have signed a lot of important papers! Are they saying all
meds, or just narcotics, antinflamatories (eg motrin) or acetominophen
(tylenol) don't cause any kind of drowsiness usually and are also likely to
be taken longer as they are easily available and doctors are more willing to
prescribe/recommend them.

Anne

Old June 14th 07, 04:32 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Irrational Number

Jamie Clark wrote:

I guess I'm wondering how common this last scenario is. I mean, I've had
lots and lots of friends and internet aquaintances have c-sections, but have
never heard anyone say that they needed meds for 2-3 weeks. In fact, I'm
always amazed that it's such major surgery, and yet people seem to be off
prescription meds in 4-5 days, give or take!

This shocked me, too. It's major abdominal
surgery and the second day for me always hurt
like heck, but suddenly by day 5 or 6, you
just feel sore and if you can bear it, you
don't take any more meds.

-- Anita --
Old June 14th 07, 04:34 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

The average time for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5
days, right

more like 3 days, at least it is in the UK, I've not seen anything that
points to it being any different in the US
Anne

Old June 14th 07, 04:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I guess I'm wondering how common this last scenario is. I mean, I've had
lots and lots of friends and internet aquaintances have c-sections, but
have never heard anyone say that they needed meds for 2-3 weeks. In fact,
I'm always amazed that it's such major surgery, and yet people seem to be
off prescription meds in 4-5 days, give or take!

sorry Jamie, I don't really know how often it is, it's not the kind of
question you really ask, I just remember one friend saying her doctor had
not been keen to give her another prescription when she really needed it,
and basically asked the doctor had she had major abdominal surgery? no, ok,
then don't tell me whether I'm in pain or not, just listen! You might want
to look up about hysterectomy after care, although this isn't what the pbm
is having, the afterwards is probably more like that than the usual
caesarean.

Cheers
Anne

Old June 14th 07, 04:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Thanks. The reason I ask is that an aquaintance is talking with a
propsective birthmother who will be having a c-section, and the pbm can't
sign the relinquishment papers until she has been off meds for 24 hours.
So she is trying to figure out about how long that might be. The average
time for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5 days,
right? So it seems like including the time spent in the hospital, the
average time on meds might be about a week? Barring unforseen
circumstances, of course.

Would seem about right, though many mothers have a desire to be off meds
due to breastfeeding and a pbm wouldn't have this desire and may take meds
longer.

In this particular instance, the pbm would like to breastfeed for as long as
possible before relinquishing the child, so it actually could be an issue.
I don't know how it's all going to turn out, but there are some things that
this birthmother is wanting control of that lead me to believe that she may
not be 100% committed to the idea of placing, even though she says that she
is. So, on the one hand, I can see that someone might want to get off meds
as soon as possible for the baby, but on the other hand, I could see her
staying on them for as long as possible so that she could have the baby for
as long as possible. This is all speculation on my part.

I would query the reason for this, I can totally understand you don't want
someone signing something doped up on morphine 24hrs after the birth, but
the stuff you take home with you isn't usually this strength. Due to the
issues I had with my last birth, I'm still on pretty strong painkillers and
have signed a lot of important papers! Are they saying all meds, or just
narcotics, antinflamatories (eg motrin) or acetominophen (tylenol) don't
cause any kind of drowsiness usually and are also likely to be taken longer
as they are easily available and doctors are more willing to
prescribe/recommend them.

I don't know if they specify what meds, except I'm guessing it would be
prescription verses otc. The issue is that they want the birthmother to be
free and clear and of right mind, so that she can't come back later and say
that she was drugged out of her mind and didn't understand what she was
doing when she signed her parental rights away. It may well only be related
to narcotics or something.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 14th 07, 04:45 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
The average time for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5
days, right

more like 3 days, at least it is in the UK, I've not seen anything that
points to it being any different in the US
Anne

It's my understanding that in the US the law is 2 days for a vaginal
delivery and 5 for a c-section. The hospital has to allow you to stay that
long, although you can be discharged sooner if you want and are doing well.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 14th 07, 04:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

[...]

Except hysterectomies can be done laproscopically now, can't they? So that
may not be as helpful. Anyway, the responses I'm getting here have been
helpful, so keep em coming!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 14th 07, 02:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:08:08 -0700, "Jamie Clark"
wrote:

Thanks. The reason I ask is that an aquaintance is talking with a
propsective birthmother who will be having a c-section, and the pbm can't
sign the relinquishment papers until she has been off meds for 24 hours. So
she is trying to figure out about how long that might be. The average time
for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5 days, right? So it
seems like including the time spent in the hospital, the average time on
meds might be about a week? Barring unforseen circumstances, of course.

Most c-section births result in a 3 day hospital stay. Depending on
how she recovers, it could be a week or two before she's off meds.

Nan

Old June 14th 07, 02:04 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

I was sent home with paracetamol and codeine to take 3 times a day for 2
weeks, if needed.

I also was given clexane injections I have to give myself every day for 6
weeks, to prevent DVT and Iron tablets for 4 weeks.

On top of that I was given lactulose and senna after a week of not going to
the loo, and told to take the lacutulose twice daily for 4 weeks and senna
at night

I also have to take my regular meds for high BP and my inhaler daily.

I've got so many things to remember I had to do a chart to keep track of
them all !!.

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
A quick question for all of you ladies who have had a c-section -- how long
were you on prescription medications after the surgery? Longest or
shortest?

Thanks.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 14th 07, 02:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:45:30 -0700, "Jamie Clark"
wrote:

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
The average time for a woman to stay in the hospital after c-section is 5
days, right

more like 3 days, at least it is in the UK, I've not seen anything that
points to it being any different in the US
Anne

It's my understanding that in the US the law is 2 days for a vaginal
delivery and 5 for a c-section. The hospital has to allow you to stay that
long, although you can be discharged sooner if you want and are doing well.

When did this go into effect? I'd have LOVED longer stays after my
c-sections! 3 days is way too soon, imo.

Nan

Looking for IVF MEDS! DESPERATE! INeedIVFMeds Pregnancy 0 April 20th 05 02:25 AM
Sick and need help with OTC meds CY Pregnancy 1 February 13th 05 06:13 AM
School Meds Mark ProbertJanuary 15, 2004 Kids Health 9 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Meds question CY Breastfeeding 1 November 21st 03 12:19 AM
Cough meds? SuperEeyore Breastfeeding 8 October 11th 03 03:15 AM