Washing pump parts - how to get them to dry in 3 hours?

Old July 7th 06, 10:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Washing pump parts - how to get them to dry in 3 hours?

I've rented a Medela lactina (also used the Ameda at the hospital, not
sure which I prefer, both are ok but only Medela was available to
rent).

It's working well, my problem is how the heck I get the parts to dry in
the 3ish hours between use? We're running the a/c in the house so it's
not like it's terribly humid inside, but they just don't air dry!

Old July 7th 06, 11:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Iuil

"cjra" wrote
I've rented a Medela lactina (also used the Ameda at the hospital, not
sure which I prefer, both are ok but only Medela was available to
rent).

It's working well, my problem is how the heck I get the parts to dry in
the 3ish hours between use? We're running the a/c in the house so it's
not like it's terribly humid inside, but they just don't air dry!

Paper towels? TBH, I can't see how they're not dry enough to use after 3
hours. The amount of moisture on them is going to be minimal after that
length of time.

I never did say Congratulations on your other thread. Your news was also
announced elsewhere (I believe with your permission). My DD would approve
of your chosen name, Angelina Ballerina being one of her favourite
characters :-).

Jean
--
LeinsterFreecycle Co-moderator

DD June '02
DS May '05

Old July 7th 06, 11:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've rented a Medela lactina (also used the Ameda at the hospital, not
sure which I prefer, both are ok but only Medela was available to
rent).

It's working well, my problem is how the heck I get the parts to dry in
the 3ish hours between use? We're running the a/c in the house so it's
not like it's terribly humid inside, but they just don't air dry!

clean kitchen roll, plus consider buying another set of parts, if you are
using them regularly and relying on them, it's almost certainly best to have
some spare just incase anything happens, tubing has been known to get worn
etc.

I'm surprised they don't airdry though I always remember washing them up and
putting them on the draining rack and when I came to put them away they were
fine, which wouldn't always be as much as 3hrs later, but that's besides the
point.

If you took a pack of kitchen roll fresh out of it's wrap and stored it in a
ziplock bag it should be germ free enough and not just wipe germs all over
like a teatowel might. If you really needed to be careful you could
sterilise cotton wool and use that.

Anne

Old July 7th 06, 11:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Iuil wrote:
"cjra" wrote
I've rented a Medela lactina (also used the Ameda at the hospital, not
sure which I prefer, both are ok but only Medela was available to
rent).

It's working well, my problem is how the heck I get the parts to dry in
the 3ish hours between use? We're running the a/c in the house so it's
not like it's terribly humid inside, but they just don't air dry!

Paper towels? TBH, I can't see how they're not dry enough to use after 3
hours. The amount of moisture on them is going to be minimal after that
length of time.

Well, this IS Texas, but in hospital they dried, just not in the house.
I guess it's more humid inside than I realised.

The NICU said to air dry, so I was nervous about using paper towels,
but Anne's idea of storing in a ziploc is good. Normally I wouldn't be
so paranoid, but as a main concern now is preventing opportunistic
infection, I am a little paranoid.

I never did say Congratulations on your other thread. Your news was also
announced elsewhere (I believe with your permission). My DD would approve
of your chosen name, Angelina Ballerina being one of her favourite
characters :-).

Thanks

Old July 7th 06, 11:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Anne Rogers wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've rented a Medela lactina (also used the Ameda at the hospital, not
sure which I prefer, both are ok but only Medela was available to
rent).

It's working well, my problem is how the heck I get the parts to dry in
the 3ish hours between use? We're running the a/c in the house so it's
not like it's terribly humid inside, but they just don't air dry!

clean kitchen roll, plus consider buying another set of parts, if you are
using them regularly and relying on them, it's almost certainly best to have
some spare just incase anything happens, tubing has been known to get worn
etc.

Well, I will be buying a regular pump eventually, which comes with
everything, so maybe we should sooner rather than later. Getting over
to that store right now is not convenient tho. I'm hoping she'll be
home soon and we can stop pumping for awhile!

I'm surprised they don't airdry though I always remember washing them up and
putting them on the draining rack and when I came to put them away they were
fine, which wouldn't always be as much as 3hrs later, but that's besides the
point.

Yeah, me too.

If you took a pack of kitchen roll fresh out of it's wrap and stored it in a
ziplock bag it should be germ free enough and not just wipe germs all over
like a teatowel might. If you really needed to be careful you could
sterilise cotton wool and use that.

ick, I never use tea towels to dry anything! No matter how clean.

Old July 7th 06, 11:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"cjra" wrote and I snipped:
It's working well, my problem is how the heck I get the parts to dry in
the 3ish hours between use? We're running the a/c in the house so it's
not like it's terribly humid inside, but they just don't air dry!

I always thought that the hotter the rinse water, the faster it dries. I
mean, if you rinsed in boiling water, it would almost steam right off,
right?

Also, I rinsed pump parts at work with very hot water and then used them for
my 2nd pumping session that day without worrying whether they were
completely dry or not. Something to consider....

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old July 8th 06, 07:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Well, I will be buying a regular pump eventually, which comes with
everything, so maybe we should sooner rather than later. Getting over
to that store right now is not convenient tho. I'm hoping she'll be
home soon and we can stop pumping for awhile!

if you are going to get a Medela pump later on, the parts are
interchangeable (or so I am led to believe, I've used Ameda myself), so a
spare set could be a spare set for either and you could mailorder them, in
fact if you look around you can find a huge variation in prices online for
pumps, so it might be worth ringing the shop and finding out their price
before buying from there. I've never heard of anyone having problems or
regrets buying online for a breastpump, lots of us don't have a choice
anyway.

Anne

Old July 9th 06, 05:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Anne Rogers wrote:
Well, I will be buying a regular pump eventually, which comes with
everything, so maybe we should sooner rather than later. Getting over
to that store right now is not convenient tho. I'm hoping she'll be
home soon and we can stop pumping for awhile!

if you are going to get a Medela pump later on, the parts are
interchangeable (or so I am led to believe, I've used Ameda myself), so a
spare set could be a spare set for either and you could mailorder them, in
fact if you look around you can find a huge variation in prices online for
pumps, so it might be worth ringing the shop and finding out their price
before buying from there. I've never heard of anyone having problems or
regrets buying online for a breastpump, lots of us don't have a choice
anyway.

It's the same everywhere on price. I haven't found them any cheaper
elsewhere (looked around a lot in the last few months in preparation).
We have the parts for the Ameda and can pump at the hospital, as well
as use the handpump - which works decently. But we will buy the Medela
soon, it's just not practical to waste 30 mins driving over there right
now. We are at the hospital all day and when not, home sleeping,
pumping, or eating....(and the internet is done while doing 2 of
those).

Have to go pump.