Bit off more than I can chew, I think :(

Old September 15th 06, 10:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

Default Bit off more than I can chew, I think :(

Well, today went fine so far... Morning was uneventful. Then...

I managed to keep DD up last night until she was good and tired, put her to
bed, DS and I had an extremely late supper (like, sitting down and eating at
around 7pm!!) but he went to bed just fine around 8ish. I planned to get to
bed early - I was hoping I could get some stuff done, relax a bit, mosey on
around the house and I had thought I'd be in bed by midnight (normal time I
used to go to bed until sleeping issues, and normal time with sleeping
issues is around 3am)

I was just about to call it a night at midnight when I get a message on M$N
from... Guess who... Norm! Well, he said he tried calling, and it turns out
he called the cell and left a message on there then messaged me on the
'puter. Alright, whatever. We talked on there for a bit, maybe half an
hour or so. It was an alright conversation, I suppose. Nothing too
interesting, but I did say a few things on my mind and all that (no point
getting into it at this point) but, there was no fighting, he asked how
everything was and bla bla bla.
I went to bed around 1230-1245ish (not bad)

Had a good sleep, surprisingly, woke up, got DS off to the school bus and
since DD was still sleeping at this point, I thought I'd lay down again and
get a bit more rest. I was hoping to start moving bedrooms around -
switching my bedroom with her and setting it all up later in the afternoon.

Well, DS got home from school, we all had lunch and then around 2ish went to
the basement to try and work at it and make it a little less insane. Gave
up after about an hour and around 3ish went upstairs and decided to get
going with the bedroom issue. Cracked a deal with DS - I'll pick up your
room if you'll play with your sister in her bedroom while I do what I can
with my room. Thought I'd take everything out of my room, stack it all up
in his, move DD's stuff into my room, move my stuff into DD's room and
ta-da! YEAH, RIGHT.

I really think I've bitten off way more than I can chew. Bran does NOT care
to play with her for too long (Surprised? No.) I have my mattress and box
springs out of my room and in his. FYI: A king sized mattress is HARD to
move!!! I did manage, though, sliding it along. Under my bed is scaring me
a lot. I've picked up garbage, toys, dishes and clothes. Yikes. I came
down here for a break after about 40 mins up there, and I'm going to head to
the basement, drag up the vacuum, grab the mop and do the floors. I also
have to find a way to take apart the bed frame and headboard for the bed...
I'm really scared LOL It's not really too much to do. I just want to get
Amie's crib and stuff into the new bedroom, then I should be fine. If I
have to just toss my mattress on the floor and sleep on that tonight and
leave the rest of the stuff piled in B's room, that's fine with me. This is
DEFINITELY a big job, but I don't yet feel like I'm doing too much. I find
I get really, really over heated, and then it's nice to head downstairs for
a break, outside for a smoke, grab a glass of water and then get back at it.

That is what I'm going to do right now. Vacuum, mop - upstairs. Try and
take apart the bed frame. Then, I don't know. I'm starting to wonder if
this was a good idea or if I just backed myself into the Corner of
Stupidity!

Old September 16th 06, 06:11 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Missy

xkatx wrote:
[...]

Goodness! That is a lot! Be really careful. You don't want to overdo
it, and I just can't see how you can avoid it at this point. Be sure
to take care of yourself!

-- Missy
Baby Boo edd December 25th, 2006

Old September 16th 06, 06:19 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
CY

"xkatx" wrote in message news:yhFOg.11304

snipped

, and then it's nice to head downstairs for
a break, outside for a smoke,

I know a ton of people are probably going to jump on me for saying this to
you, but if I were you I would not be smoking with a baby that may have
growth problems. Just my 0.02.

Old September 16th 06, 06:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Missy" wrote in message
ups.com...

xkatx wrote:
[...]

Well, I actually didn't do too bad! I feel fairly beat now, but then again,
it's pushing 1130 at night here...
The one thing I think I did that I probably shouldn't have was move DD's
fish tank from one room to the other. I didn't really have much of a
choice, as where it was in her room (my room now) I couldn't even put my bed
in the room. I did empty it out to about 1/6th of the water and then kept
buckets of water, and it's a small tank - only 20 gallons, but it was still
kind of awkward and heavy a bit. I feel fine, though.
I managed to take everything out of the master bedroom and then went right
at putting DD's room in that room. I then gave in and ordered small pizza
for supper It was good, and I kind of didn't want to spend that money
when I *just* went and picked up some groceries yesterday that should last
at least a week or so (picked up some sausages, a little pork roast, some
meat things or two and some ground beef and such) buuut... I was on a roll,
I didn't want to stop to cook, and I was able to get more done while pizza
was being delivered.
I also managed to get DD in bed by about 8-830 (I can't remember!) and
hooray for her, as she went right to sleep with no problems at all and has
been sleeping soundly ever since she went to bed in the new room! I even
put her fish tank in her room while she was sleeping and put water back in
it and she barely even budged! I think she won't mind the room change - her
and DS had fun playing in her room while I was doing other things.
I also managed to get all my stuff out of DS's room. He went to bed a bit
later than I had hoped (it was probably close to 930 or so) but oh well. I
got everything out of his room and set up in my room as fast as I could so
he could hit the hay. Mind you, my bed is set up but it has a TV, cable
box, VCR and the blankets all thrown on the mattress. I'll deal with that
right away, as I'm hoping to head to bed myself real soon here. It will be
nice to sleep on my bed and not on the floor with blankets like I had
originally thought I'd have to do.
I'll deal with setting up the baby's crib either tomorrow or on Sunday so DD
can start to maybe get used to seeing it and having it around. Figuring out
and taking down one crib then trying to figure out how to put it back
together again was enough for one day for me.

I do feel a bit sore on my leg joints, but it's the same soreness and
stiffness I find I get first thing in the morning. Other than that, and
being fairly wiped, of course, I don't think I did more than I could handle!

Old September 16th 06, 06:34 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"CY" wrote in message

"xkatx" wrote in message news:yhFOg.11304

snipped

, and then it's nice to head downstairs for
a break, outside for a smoke,

I know a ton of people are probably going to jump on me for saying this to
you, but if I were you I would not be smoking with a baby that may have
growth problems. Just my 0.02.

Oh I know. It's true. That's, so far, the one thing I haven't been able to
completely kick 100% - once again, working on cutting down. I've been
trying to grab something to snack on instead of a smoke, and that seems to
only work for so long. Still cutting down slowly but surely, and I'm hoping
to cut it out completely sooner than later
I find it even more difficult to do mainly because almost everyone I know
smokes. Everyone from my parents (well, my mom smokes more on occasion, but
my dad's a smoker) and almost every friend is a smoker as well :'(

Old September 18th 06, 05:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
PattyMomVA

I know it's idle curiosity on my part, but who does your oldest DS live
with?

Old September 18th 06, 07:21 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Marie

"xkatx" wrote in message
Oh I know. It's true. That's, so far, the one thing I haven't been able

completely kick 100% - once again, working on cutting down. I've been
trying to grab something to snack on instead of a smoke, and that seems to
only work for so long. Still cutting down slowly but surely, and I'm

hoping
to cut it out completely sooner than later
I find it even more difficult to do mainly because almost everyone I know
smokes. Everyone from my parents (well, my mom smokes more on occasion,

but
my dad's a smoker) and almost every friend is a smoker as well :'(

How far have you cut down to so far? My step-father just quit cold turkey
one day and says he never even feel that he wants another one. I am so
envious of people like that. The thing I am scared of most is wanting a cig
the rest of my life. So I smoke. I did smoke through two of my three
pregnancies, and those two babies were born at least 9 pounds each. I had
cut way down (like 5-10 cigs a day). I think lifestyle has more to do with
strictly smoking- if you are otherwise eating healthily and taking care of
yourself then most likely a few a day won't hurt. I personally feel that
alcohol is worse during pregnany but the majority of people think it's ok to
drink. But I've seen so many more babies/children/adults who had FAS than
low birth weight from the mom smoking.
Marie

Old September 19th 06, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Marie" wrote in message
"xkatx" wrote in message
Oh I know. It's true. That's, so far, the one thing I haven't been able

completely kick 100% - once again, working on cutting down. I've been
trying to grab something to snack on instead of a smoke, and that seems
only work for so long. Still cutting down slowly but surely, and I'm

hoping
to cut it out completely sooner than later
I find it even more difficult to do mainly because almost everyone I know
smokes. Everyone from my parents (well, my mom smokes more on occasion,

but
my dad's a smoker) and almost every friend is a smoker as well :'(

How far have you cut down to so far?

Heh... Which time around are we talking about?
I smoked under a pack a day before either DS. Quit totally and completely
as soon as I was pg both times. I actually had very little choice - just
the smell alone made me puke, even if someone walked past me after having a
smoke 10 minutes ago. The smell, even after, made me so sick that I would
throw up whatever was in my stomach. I lit a smoke one morning while pg
with DS1 and I puked. Tossed it and then later in the day tried one more
during a break in school, same thing so I gave that pack away and never
bothered after. Started up after DS was born, as again, everyone I knew was
a smoker, and then it was still under a pack or so a day. I knew I was pg
with DS2 when the same thing happened that happened with DS1.
Started again after, same lousy excuse plus add colicky baby, and was around
a pack a day. When I was pg with DD, I was smoking around a pack a day, but
then I knocked it off to about 10-12 a day - that's a big difference and was
a slowly but surely thing. After DD was born, we kicked the cigarettes
completely out of the house 24/7, and I got down to about 6-8 a day, as I
was just too darn lazy to go all the way outside for a smoke.
Now, however lousy of an excuse, I've gone back up to about 12-14 a day, and
I really do think it's because of all this stress I have going on the last
2ish months. The last week or so, I've been consuming freezies like there's
no tomorrow, but I've been trying to replace a smoke break with a handful of
freezies Not sure if the sugar is better or not, but whatever. It's
down to about 10-12 a day on a good day. I've cut down, easily, by half in
the long run.

My step-father just quit cold turkey
one day and says he never even feel that he wants another one. I am so
envious of people like that.

I don't think I could do that, other than if I was pregnant with a boy again
lol
I think, also, you have to *want* to quit and actually be ready. At this
point, I'm really not sure of if I want to totally quit right this moment.
I do want to quit, but I don't think I'm totally ready ATM. It's the one
vice I have left - I gave up the pot scene 7 and a half years ago (as soon
as I found out about DS1) completely quit alcohol consumption with every
pregnancy and for as long as I was bf-ing (I'm a sucker for a glass of vodka
on the rocks) and the last month and a half or so, I've struggled with a
Pepsi addiction LOL I was up to at least a 1L bottle of Pepsi a day, now
I've allowed myself a small (the 591mL - I think?) bottle once a week.

The thing I am scared of most is wanting a cig
the rest of my life. So I smoke. I did smoke through two of my three
pregnancies, and those two babies were born at least 9 pounds each. I had
cut way down (like 5-10 cigs a day).

All mine have been right on the average size for babies - DSs weighed in at
7lbs11oz and 8lbs2oz (both did not smoke for) and DD weighed in at 7lbs8oz
(and I cut down smoking with her)

I think lifestyle has more to do with
strictly smoking- if you are otherwise eating healthily and taking care of
yourself then most likely a few a day won't hurt. I personally feel that
alcohol is worse during pregnany but the majority of people think it's ok
drink. But I've seen so many more babies/children/adults who had FAS than
low birth weight from the mom smoking.
Marie

Yes, I do agree. I have definitely come across far more FAS babies with
major concerns than those born low birth weight due to smoking.
I do admit that lately I haven't been eating properly (as I should, anyways)
but I've been trying. I chugged 3 glasses of milk earlier today, and it
tasted great. I've actually been eating meals of some sort, and I find I
warm up leftovers from that meal as a snack if I get hungry later. A bit of
the leftovers is far better than a bag of chips and a Pepsi!

Old September 19th 06, 03:11 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"PattyMomVA" wrote in message
I know it's idle curiosity on my part, but who does your oldest DS live
with?

His (adoptive) family.

Old September 19th 06, 03:49 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

xkatx wrote:

Yes, I do agree. I have definitely come across far more FAS babies with
major concerns than those born low birth weight due to smoking.

I don't meant to jump on you about smoking, since
you are clearly aware it's a problem and are trying to deal
with it as best you can, but I think the above is inaccurate.
First of all, about twice as many women drink during pregnancy
as smoke (near as I can tell from poking around some), so *if*
there are more babies affected by alcohol than by smoking,
that doesn't necessarily say much about the relative risk of
the two behaviors.
Second, if around 12 percent of pregnant women smoke,
and the incidence of low birth weight in th US is 8 percent,
and studies estimate that if all women stopped smoking
immediately once they got pregnant there would be a 35 percent
reduction in low birth weight, then that adds up to a
2.8 percent rate of low birth weight due to smoking. The
rate of FAS is about 1/500, or 0.2 percent with about
25 percent of pregnant women surveyed having had some
alcohol during the last month while pregnant. That still
adds up to smoking being a proportionately riskier
behavior--and that's before adding in *other* risks
associated with prenatal exposure to maternal smoking.
Now, I wouldn't advocate *either* drinking *or*
smoking during pregnancy, so I'm not saying one should
pick drinking over smoking ;-) Clearly, both behaviors
have risks. I just don't think it's true that there are
more babies with complications due to prenatal alcohol
exposure than due to prenatal exposure to maternal smoking.

Best wishes,
Ericka

17 month old doesn't eat table food [email protected] General 13 February 3rd 05 03:23 PM
Chewing/sucking habit Markus Gauçier Henrí Solutions 12 August 3rd 04 03:26 PM
Eating idiosyncrasy Holly Sox General 7 December 22nd 03 01:03 PM
reading to the baby (X-posted) ted General 22 November 21st 03 01:58 AM
reading to the baby (X-posted) ted Breastfeeding 20 November 21st 03 01:58 AM