What I eat can make DS cranky

Old November 25th 03, 01:11 AM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~

Default What I eat can make DS cranky

What are some common things that make breast fed babies cranky, the past two
nights DS has been periodically screaming for no reason, and no amount of
consolation will ease him.

I've got a sneaky suspicion its milk, if so is it safe to take calcium
supplements?

Old November 25th 03, 03:54 AM
Dawn Lawson

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

I found that a mug or two of fennel seed tea made Caterpillar less gassy
(and therefore less cranky).

:-)
The tea for the mum, of course.

Dawn, with a funny mental image of a gassy caterpillar....

Old November 25th 03, 03:44 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~

I'm not saying he is allergic, just a fussy tummy. Every one on my DH's side
is lactose intolerant so it is a possibility, but I have not seen any
reactions other than screaming for no reason. I avoided milk last night, we
will have to see.

Old November 25th 03, 04:23 PM
Dawn Lawson

K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
I'm not saying he is allergic, just a fussy tummy.

Who said anything about allergy?
I just said YOU should be the one drinking the tea, cuz Pheobe wasn't
crystal clear, and people do strange things. ;-)
Fennel tea is a good suggestion for a fussy tummy.

Every one on my DH's side
is lactose intolerant so it is a possibility, but I have not seen any
reactions other than screaming for no reason.

Lactose intolerance is rarely the problem with a baby. A milk protein
allergy would be more likely. Breastmilk has loads of lactose in it.

I avoided milk last night, we
will have to see.

Google for Beth Kelves posts re milk avoidance. Simply not drinking
milk for one night won't do much if you're still consuming casein, as I
understand her information.

Old November 25th 03, 04:36 PM
iphigenia

Dawn Lawson wrote:

I avoided milk last night, we
will have to see.

Google for Beth Kelves posts re milk avoidance. Simply not drinking
milk for one night won't do much if you're still consuming casein, as
I understand her information.

And it takes a couple weeks for dairy proteins to clear the system; one
night of not drinking milk is unlikely to make a big difference.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old November 25th 03, 05:10 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~

ok sorry I didn't clarify my self, I avoided milk last night and will
continue to do so for the week to see if that makes a difference.

Old November 25th 03, 05:33 PM
Dawn Lawson

"iphigenia" wrote in message
And it takes a couple weeks for dairy proteins to clear the system; one
night of not drinking milk is unlikely to make a big difference.

--
tristyn

Note she said a *couple* weeks.
IMO, if you're going to do a food elimination trial, there's no point in
doing it halfway.
Otherwise it's hardly a food elimination trial.

Dawn

Old November 25th 03, 05:50 PM
Herself

iphigenia wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote:

I avoided milk last night, we
will have to see.

Google for Beth Kelves posts re milk avoidance. Simply not drinking
milk for one night won't do much if you're still consuming casein, as
I understand her information.

And it takes a couple weeks for dairy proteins to clear the system; one
night of not drinking milk is unlikely to make a big difference.

And if you're going to avoid milk, you'll need to do it strictly,...look
at ingredients in pre-packaged foods, check breads, no butter, etc.
There's milk products in loads of things.
--
'Tis Herself
Old November 25th 03, 06:21 PM
Cathy Weeks

"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" wrote in message news:ANKwb.494937$pl3.144846@pd7tw3no...
I'm not saying he is allergic, just a fussy tummy. Every one on my DH's side
is lactose intolerant so it is a possibility, but I have not seen any
reactions other than screaming for no reason. I avoided milk last night, we
will have to see.

Actually, if you think it's a milk thing - you'll need to avoid it for
a fairly long time. Evidently it takes up to 2 weeks for the milk to
be completely out of your system. So...I'd give up milk for 3 weeks.
If she's still fussy at the end of that time, then you can go back to
milk.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old November 25th 03, 06:28 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~

Well I dont know who to believe. I just called my doctor and he said 7-10
days for it to clear out of my system and my milk supply.
I have found that when it comes to things like breast milk/feeding and SIDS
alot of it is based on wives tales, and junk science. I will also call my
public health nurse to make sure.

om...