One month pregnancy (constant nausea) PLEASE HELP

Old January 10th 04, 07:52 PM
Mario Cyb

Default One month pregnancy (constant nausea) PLEASE HELP

My wife is pregnant for 4 weeks now and she's experiencing
a nearly permanent nausea feeling and has become extremely sensitive
to any scent even the slightest.
Would like to know how to soothe her actual state.
And what should she drink or eat in order to relieve her condition.
Any advice should be helpful to us.
We're surrounded by people who don't know a thing about it.

Regards

Mario
Old January 10th 04, 08:03 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article ,
Mario Cyb wrote:
My wife is pregnant for 4 weeks now and she's experiencing
a nearly permanent nausea feeling and has become extremely sensitive
to any scent even the slightest.
Would like to know how to soothe her actual state.

Hi Mario, and congratulations to you and your wife!

Different things will work for different women, so I can only tell you
the things that helped me.

I was not hit as early as your wife has been hit, but I had 3-4 weeks of
absolute misery. (Even now, at 21 weeks, I have occasional bouts of feeling
not-so-comfortable.) A few things helped me:

1) I tried not to let myself get hungry. This was hard, since food had almost
NO appeal; but in some cases morning sickness is linked to low blood-sugar,
and I did find that it wasn't as bad if I had something in my stomach.

2) I stuck to foods that sounded good to me. This varied, sometimes from day
to day. Some days I couldn't stomach anything other than cheese and pasta;
some days it had to be meat, the fattier the better. For an entire week I
didn't want anything but simple sugars - and no fats; just things like jelly
beans. I tried to piggyback nutritious foods along with the nasty stuff, just
to make sure I got down SOMETHING that was good for me. Some days it worked;
some days it didn't.

3) Ginger tea. I'd have one cup at work, which I'd nurse all day, and one
cup in the evening. It didn't make the morning sickness disappear; but it
eased the misery a LOT.

I also tried to take some comfort in the fact that morning sickness is normal,
and generally indicates that your hormones are doing what they're supposed to
be doing. It was a pretty big paradigm shift, convincing myself that feeling
like throwing up all the time was a GOOD thing; but that attitude got me
through the worst days.

Best of luck to you, and I hope she feels better soon.

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old January 10th 04, 08:48 PM
Karen Ray-Stewart

I was sick for the first while of my pregnancy to.. and although it is a
pain right now..... it will eventually stop. Let her pick what she wants to
eat... becuase some days even the sound of the word "toast" can make a
pregnant women hurl !!! LEt her tell you what she wants.. and get it for
her if need be. Gingerale is soothing to the tummy in most cases, as
elizabeth replied about ginger tea...... keep a good stock of light food in
the house.
Hopefully it wil get better for her soon.

Karen

om...

Old January 10th 04, 10:07 PM
CY

I found that eating something before I stepped out of bed was a great help.
Just some dry crackers or a glass of milk or something that was appealing.
I also found that anything with ginger in it helped, especially Ginger Ale
and Ginger cookies. Fruit Punch was great too, though I don't know why.
And like Elizabeth said, don't let her get hungry because an empty stomach
was guarnteed to do it for me. Constant drinking was the thing that helped
mainly.

Hope she feels better and that it passes. For me it ended at around 14
weeks...

Good luck and congrats!

CY
om...

Old January 11th 04, 12:03 AM
Anne Marie

Hi Mario. Congrats on the pregnancy. I had the sickness pretty badearly
on in my pregnacy. It seemed to help me when i drink lots of water and
always had something in my stomach. I couldn't eat a huge meal so i
would have a lot of meals all day long. When my stomach was empty i
would (and still do) feel nauseous. Also having some crackers or a
granola bar a little bet before i got up out of bed for the day. Ginger
helps a lot, either ginger tea or ginger snaps. Last but not least a lot
of sleep would help. I would feel better if i got enough sleep the night
before.
I hope she gets better! I hope this helps you in someway.
Take care,

AnneMaire

Old January 11th 04, 04:49 AM
Karen

You can also get ginger capsules at the health food store, it is likely
that someone there can guide you to the appropriate dosage.I think I was
taking up to three 250mg capsules per day. While you're there look for
ginger ales or ginger flavored juices or teas, which are likely to
contain actual ginger in them and therefore be more effective.

Also, if she is taking prenatal vitamins, sometmes the vitamins are
too much for some women to stomach, especially if it's just one huge
pill or dose all at once. I think it's usually the mega dose of iron
which upsets the stomach. If this might be the case, just try switching
to a brand that requires more than one pill to give the complete dosage
and she can take the number of pills over the course of the day rather
than all at once. I use Solgar prenatals, which has four pills for the
full dose, so if I neede to I could split it up and take smaller doses
over the day.

If she does remain really incredibly sick moving into the secong
trimester, there is a technical name for it and the OB can treat her
with more serious medication. This doesn't happen with everyone, and
chances are she'll eventually get past this stage, but if it does seem
severe and long-lasting, the OB should be able to help.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old January 11th 04, 07:51 AM
Irrational Number

Mario Cyb wrote:
My wife is pregnant for 4 weeks now and she's experiencing
a nearly permanent nausea feeling and has become extremely sensitive
to any scent even the slightest.
Would like to know how to soothe her actual state.
And what should she drink or eat in order to relieve her condition.

The most important thing is for you to be
understanding and quickly remove anything
that makes her nauseous.

Nothing helped me, ginger tea, crackers,
NOTHING! If I had a craving for something,
my husband would get it. But, by the time
he came home, it would make me sick, so he
would have to throw it outside. Sometimes,
he'd have to sit on the other side of the
room; I would be so sensitive to the soda
he was drinking or something.

The things that made me nauseous changed
daily. It is a terrible time... you and
she will just have to suffer through it...
I lost 10 pounds in the first trimester
and did not get back to my pre-pregnancy
weight until 5 months.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old January 11th 04, 09:14 AM
Susanne Koenig

[...]

Mario,

All this advice worked for me as well, except I took capsulse instead of the
tea. I used to work in a dive shop and it was the only thing that stopped
our seasickness dead in its tracks--works like a charm. (Plus, after a few
days, your skin starts to smell like ginger!) You can get the tea or the
capsules at the local health food store. I took two in the morning and two
at night.

Sk

Old January 11th 04, 09:15 AM
Susanne Koenig

"CY" wrote in message
I found that eating something before I stepped out of bed was a great

help.
Just some dry crackers or a glass of milk or something that was appealing.
I also found that anything with ginger in it helped, especially Ginger Ale
and Ginger cookies. Fruit Punch was great too, though I don't know why.
And like Elizabeth said, don't let her get hungry because an empty stomach
was guarnteed to do it for me. Constant drinking was the thing that

helped
mainly.

Hope she feels better and that it passes. For me it ended at around 14
weeks...

Cy, my doctor has a little saying framed in one examination room:

"How do I know I'm pregnant? Let me count the ways...
I'm living on saltine crackers/and gaining a pound a day!"

HA!

Sk

Old January 11th 04, 02:14 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:48:03 -0500, "Karen Ray-Stewart"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
Gingerale is soothing to the tummy in most cases, as
elizabeth replied about ginger tea......

Peppermint or lemon tea helps some people as well. I found sucking on
tictacs helped some (we were travelling in France and Spain between 6
and 8 weeks and I am still unearthing tic tac boxes in the car 18
months on!). I also drank a lot of lemon Fanta that trip.

If things get too bad, there is medication available to stop the
nausea. I got to the point where I could not hold down liquids or
even swallow saliva without throwing up. Thats the point where you go
to the doctor. Landed in hospital dehydrated. After that they gave
me the meds and apparently I will get them again next pregnancy
straight away.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com