Q about mastitis

Old September 19th 03, 04:35 AM
A&G&K

Default Q about mastitis

no, not me ....

My best friend has just had a bad bout of mastitis and is trying to get her
supply back to normal without risking engorgement. (Her DD is roughly 12
weeks old ... but very small as she was 5 weeks premmie and with IUGR). My
friend isn't a big eater (thin as a rake) and so hasn't really been eating
very much for the last week. Now she's finding that her DD is still hungry
and coming off the breast to keep switching sides (like she does when milk
flow slows). My friend has had antibiotics and is recovering but was
wanting to boost her supply.

Since I've never had mastitis, I'm not sure what to tell her (her Dr wasn't
much help with the bf issue). I suggested lots of water and to eat
something healthy (like porridge)as well as bf as much as possible .... and
I've also suggested fenugreek, but am worried that this might cause
engorgement and kick the whole process off again?
She's feeding her DD around the clock (which I know should help boost
supply) but as a result she's exhausted and not fully recovered.
Should she take fenugreek or should she just continue nursing as much as
possible and drinking lots of water? (FWIW her DD usually nurses every 2-3
hours but has been nursing every hour during the day).
TIA
Amanda

Old September 19th 03, 08:50 PM
HollyLewis

Should she take fenugreek or should she just continue nursing as much as
possible and drinking lots of water? (FWIW her DD usually nurses every 2-3
hours but has been nursing every hour during the day).

You mentioned that the baby is 12 weeks old, so I suspect this is just an
ordinary growth spurt, and has nothing to do with the mastitis (which I never
noticed interfering significantly with supply, although I never needed
antibiotics to recover).

I don't think fenugreek (and/or oatmeal) can hurt, but definitely keeping
hydrated and nursing frequently are the main things to do. If she's still
recovering from mastitis, she needs to enlist whatever help is necessary so
that she can just go to bed -- with the baby, or having her spouse or other
helper bring her the baby for feeds -- and rest all day, like she would with
any other significant cold or fever.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old September 23rd 03, 02:12 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"A&G&K" wrote:

My best friend has just had a bad bout of mastitis and is trying to get her
supply back to normal without risking engorgement. (Her DD is roughly 12
weeks old ... but very small as she was 5 weeks premmie and with IUGR). My
friend isn't a big eater (thin as a rake) and so hasn't really been eating
very much for the last week. Now she's finding that her DD is still hungry
and coming off the breast to keep switching sides (like she does when milk
flow slows). My friend has had antibiotics and is recovering but was
wanting to boost her supply.

Has she rung the ABA hotline for advice?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old September 24th 03, 04:38 AM
A&G&K

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"A&G&K" wrote:

[...]

Yeah she did but she didn't know about fenugreek at the time and the
councellor didn't mention it. I told her about it but was worried that she
might end up with and oversupply ....
..... She's OK again now though and is making a concerted effort to eat a bit
more and drink more water (she's same ht as me - 170 cm - and weighs 50 kg
on a good day ... I haven't been that thin since I was 21!) She can easily
forget to eat and I think making a good effort to eat a bit more is also
helping her.

Thanks Chookie,
Amanda