Collections

Old July 30th 06, 02:04 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Default Collections

This is a take-off on the Collectible thread, and I like Marie at
first thought that the OP on that thread was the parent of the child,
but now I think that it is more likely that the OP was the giver of
the gift.

If someone gives an inappropriate gift to a child that can't use it
(because of the value) or play with it (because of fragility), then
that person has only him/herself to blame for giving an inappropriate
gift without at least consulting the parents to see that they will
take care of it for the child until time to give it to him/her

I do think there is a time and place for giving a gift for the future
however. I had a great uncle whose name was Sam. He called himself
Uncle Sam, and he usually (as Uncle Sam) gave us money when he saw us.
This was a family joke. When my ds was very young, Uncle Sam met him,
and thought he was a terrific kid, and gave him a gold coin. Actually
he handed it to my mom. Now obviously this is not a gift for a baby
or toddler, so my mom put it into her safe deposit box, and it is now
in MY safe deposit box. I don't know when to give it to ds (who is
now 35 years old), but while his life is in flux, I'll keep it. I
certainly wouldn't spend it or sell it though.

My mom also did a 'gift to minors' thing to all her grandchildren, and
she's never given ds his and she was most reluctant to give my
youngest niece hers. So I have to get his birth certificate (to prove
he is of age), and go through the whole rigmarole to get the stock
transferred into his name.

My mom also bought coins and stamps with the intention of giving them
to her grandchildren or great grandchildren. She started collecting
stamps when she was a child and she wanted her grandchildren to be
interested in collection.

NOW I have a real problem. One of my grandchildren has expressed an
interest in the stamps. She's the only one who has expressed and
interest and my mom was sending her stamps and helping her out with
the collection. She (my granddaughter who is 10 years old) has asked
me to help her with the stamp collection which takes up several big
cardboard boxes - some albums and a LOT of loose stamps. But I know
less than nothing about stamp collecting.

Can someone recommend a book or something I can give to her as
guidance. DS does not have a phone line, so they do not have internet
access.