sugar alcohol

Old September 15th 03, 07:33 PM
Karen P

Default sugar alcohol

Hi there! Does anyone know if sugar alcohols like sorbitol will cause
birth defects? I am 7 weeks pregnant and have been using a sugar free
maple syrup 2-3 times per week, and just noticed it has sorbitol.
Alot of it, too. I hope this can't cause fetal alcohol syndrome!
Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.
Old September 15th 03, 08:04 PM
Valerie Rake

AFAIK, sorbitol is safe. In any effect, my dietician told me I could
use as a sugar substitute in by gestational diabetes diet.

Valerie

Old September 16th 03, 04:46 PM
Valerie Rake

Could have been sucrolose. Actually, she said to generally not use many
sugar substitutes but whatever Spenda is would be OK. We may have
gotten our -ols and -oses confused. Could someone knowledgable explain
what sugar alcohols are and what they do that's different from other
forms of sugar?

Thanks
Valerie.

Elfanie wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:04:00 -0400, Valerie Rake
wrote:

AFAIK, sorbitol is safe. In any effect, my dietician told me I could
use as a sugar substitute in by gestational diabetes diet.

Valerie

are you sure they told you to use sorbitol...and not sucrolose?
Sucrolose is Splenda...
sorbitol is a sugar alcohol (and too much sugar alcohol in ANYONE can
cause a lot of intestinal upsets). anything ending in OL is a sugar
alcohol...like sorbitol, maltitol....

are you sure your dietician said to use sorbitol as a sugar
substitute?

Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
Mesa, AZ
Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - and Kevin 8/30/02
Student Midwife
Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography

http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL PHOTOS