Meeting with lawyer

Old March 10th 05, 09:59 PM
Werebat

Default Meeting with lawyer

I am meeting with my lawyer in one week. He is the same one who oversaw
my divorce, NOT the one who led me through that farcical affair
concerning CSE.

While I'm not planning to go into the courtroom anytime soon, I have to
ask him for some advice on two fronts.

First, my live-in GF is pregnant with our baby (he's a boy!), and is due
in June. We had many talks about what it would take for me to feel
secure having another child, and she has been very understanding
(especially since she was with me all through the horror show with CSE
over a year ago). We are quite happy living together in her house and
have no intentions of splitting up! What I want to do is set things up
so that we share joint legal and physical custody of our child, before
there is any animosity between us (not that I think there is going to be
any, but I have learned that you have to be safe). For now I'd be happy
with a legally binding 50/50 joint physical custody, and no CS changing
hands (doubt the courts will go for that one though). She earns about
three times what I do, though, so since she is the higher income parent
and she is female I think the courts might find a way to waive it for
her. Good. I have no need of her money and no need for CSE's meddling
with our finances.

Second, my ex-wife's monthly money that she receives from me for
"student loan repayments" (do not be fooled, she simply lived on this
money) is about to run out in 6 months because I will have paid her in
full by then. She has not found any other sources of income over the
past year so I know losing this money will be a financial blow to her
and I don't see how she will continue managing her household after it
stops rolling in, short of gasp getting a *job*! Since we all know
THAT isn't likely to happen, and she knows she can always just run back
to Welfare so their thugs will rough me up for a higher "obligation", I
need to know what my options are (particularly concerning outright suing
for full custody of my son).

Can anyone think of any useful questions or information I should bring
with me to the meeting?

Thanks,

- Ron ^*^

Old March 10th 05, 10:22 PM
William Barger

Congratulations on your new baby.
Sounds as if you are setting yourself up for failure. People sometimes
allow past failures to ruin today and their future. Kills me to see such
pessimism. Instead of 'being safe' think positively. Hopefully the three
of you will have a long, happy life without animosity.
Bill

Old March 11th 05, 01:33 AM
SCREWEDBYJUDGEGEOTOOKIEJAMES

Congratulations on your new baby. And congratulations on having the
intelligence to plan for potential failure.
Ignore Mr. Barger.

Old March 11th 05, 01:37 AM
Werebat

Indeed. I'm not even going to argue with him. "Trust in the love" my ass.

However, the fact that she is so supportive of my decision to take
action to keep the State's nose out of our affairs as much as possible
does bode very well for the future of the relationship, methinks. :^)

- Ron ^*^

Old March 11th 05, 05:06 AM
William Barger

Plan for failure and that is what will happen.

Old March 11th 05, 08:08 AM
SCREWEDBYJUDGEGEOTOOKIEJAMES

Eliminate savings accounts, mutual funds,bomb shelters, air bags, seat
belts, tsunami warning systems, life preservers, etc......you do see the
point? I could probably predict not assume, that your ex took much less
than 50% of your assets and it felt good giving them to her?

Old March 11th 05, 12:26 PM
Werebat

Bomb shelters are a bad example there, but otherwise I agree. Berger is
spouting the typical starry-eyed "Throw caution to the wind and trust in
the LOVE!" mentality that ropes a lot of young people into lifelong
consequences.

Then again maybe he's right, when one is dealing with a typical American
woman. I am not. My love is a truly amazing woman, a rare jewel who
actually wants me to feel safe and secure in our relationship. She told
me she was happy they I had finally gotten around to making an
appointment with my lawyer about this stuff.

The further this goes, the more I think I have no reason to believe we
will ever part. But I am no fool -- not anymore.

Old March 11th 05, 01:19 PM
Phil #3

So you don't have insurance?
One should plan for every contingency.
Phil #3

Old March 11th 05, 08:41 PM
William Barger

You equate relationshios with bomb shelters and life preservers... No I
do not see the point. My ex took more than 50%, and yes it did feel
good. She put as much time and effort into the marriage and chilld
rearing as I did. She even gave up her career. She didn't get 50% of my
wages in CS. That would equal to about $162,500 annually, but she got a
good chunk.

Old March 11th 05, 10:13 PM
Werebat

I agree that the bomb shelter is a poor analogy... But the point is
that one should be prepared. My GF and I feel that it would be prudent
to plan for the worst while working and hoping for the best, and neither
of us wants the government mucking around in our lives any more than
absolutely necessary if the worst happens. I know you're not going to
see it that way no matter what I say, so I'm not going to bother arguing.

However I will point out that you should be happy to learn that we are
not married, and have no intentions of getting married. I plan to stand
by her and raise our child and future children with her, and even if
things don't work out between the two of us she believes that I will be
there for our kids. Talk about "throwing caution to the wind and
trusting in the LOVE", eh? :^)

But then, your type usually gets oddly silent about how great it is to
throw caution to the wind and trust in the LOVE when those things are
used to justify NOT getting married. Heh.

- Ron ^*^