Light so toddler can look around at night?

Old November 22nd 03, 12:48 AM
Kooky45

Default Light so toddler can look around at night?

Until recently my 2 year old son has been a perfect baby; we put him
to bed at around 8pm and he would sleep quietly right through to 8am.
Now though he's up and restless until nearly 9pm (perhaps we need to
cut out his afternoon nap) and when we put him to bed he lies awake
screaming for about 15 mins before dropping off to sleep. Once asleep
though we don't hear from him again until 8am. I'm not particularly
bothered about this as during the day he really enjoys playing with us
and obviously doesn't like being put to bed now.

My mum however (my son's grandmum) says that as the baby is lying
awake for longer at night, we should put a small light in his room so
he can look around and play with toys in his cot until he goes to
sleep. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I prefer him to
sleep in darkness if he can and also so that we don't have to disturb
him by going in later and turning the light off.

Who do you think is right? My mum who says we should have a dim light
in the room so my son can see around before going to sleep, or me who
thinks near darkness helps get the baby to sleep and is better during
the night anyway?

Thanks,

Ken
Old November 22nd 03, 01:35 AM
toypup

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
Who do you think is right? My mum who says we should have a dim light
in the room so my son can see around before going to sleep, or me who
thinks near darkness helps get the baby to sleep and is better during
the night anyway?

DS had a light in his room that dims slowly over 15 minutes until it's off.
We used it for awhile when DS was having problems falling asleep in total
darkness. It seemed to work and DS didn't need it for long.

Old November 22nd 03, 03:59 AM
ChrisScaife

My son used to go to sleep with a quiet story.

Then he went thru a phase of being frightened by the dark, so we got him one
of those lava lamps and he would go to sleep watching the endless bubbles
rising and falling. It wasn't very bright, so we just left it on... Mind a
timer switch could have been used.
Thinking about toys OTOH might get a child lively and make them want to get
up and play.

Our boy would sleep in darkness as long as he had a torch handy: Sadly the
teacher had told about rats knawing at people's flesh in the context of
Florence Nightingale and this made him afraid a rat would come in when it
was dark. I think if your child is afraid of the dark you have to let them
grow out of it and not try to force them. It's psychological. Just knowing
that he can switch on light when he wants might be enough.

om...

Old November 22nd 03, 04:45 AM
just me

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
[...]

There are reports of studies where they show that the use of lights in the
sleeping rooms of very young children [I think it was up to age three]
damages their vision. I don't recall the details off-hand, but someone here
with a few more minutes than I have tonight might. Due to that the
researchers were recommending very low light levels in infant and toddler
bed rooms and, if needed, use of lights on timers and low settings so that
they would not stay on for long periods.

Kids do go through various stages where they may want lights on at night.
My DS is one of those. I learned that using colored light bulbs, such as
dark green and dark blue, were fun for him and gave very low light levels
that still met his need to scare away the monsters. Another possible
alternative, depending on how your house is set up, is to leave the hallway
light on with the child's door somewhat open, allowing some light to spill
into the room. If it doesn't fall onto his face/bed, it will certainly be
enough light to address monsters.

your child, otoh, appears to be just learning to fall to sleep without
assistance. Use of a night light may not be indicated at this time. I
don't think I'd add a light unless the child were actively expressing fears
of the dark or starting night time toilet training.

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame123

Old November 22nd 03, 09:12 AM
Herself

toypup wrote:

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
Who do you think is right? My mum who says we should have a dim light
in the room so my son can see around before going to sleep, or me who
thinks near darkness helps get the baby to sleep and is better during
the night anyway?

DS had a light in his room that dims slowly over 15 minutes until it's off.
We used it for awhile when DS was having problems falling asleep in total
darkness. It seemed to work and DS didn't need it for long.

What was it called? It sounds great!
--
'Tis Herself
Old November 22nd 03, 12:02 PM
Sue

Aula,

That study has not been proven conclusive. When doing the study, they forgot
about family history of vision problems and they couldn't find any
conclusive evidence that having a light on will cause vision problems. I
think we had mentioned that a while ago. Anecdotely, I have three children
only one wears glasses. However, we have a strong family history of vision
problems on both sides. It would stand to reason that at least one or some
of our children had to wear glasses. And even if the light did cause vision
problems, wearing glasses is not the end of the world.

I keep a dimmer switch on in my girls rooms. And it is left on all night. I
want a little light up in their rooms so they can see to go to the bathroom
or come down stairs without killing themselves in case they need to get me.
I don't bother turning it off, as there is no harm done in leaving it on. It
certainly can provide a certain amount of control on the child if he is
scared.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

just me wrote in message
m...
om...

Old November 22nd 03, 01:26 PM
just me

"Sue" wrote in message
Aula,

That study has not been proven conclusive. When doing the study, they

forgot
about family history of vision problems and they couldn't find any
conclusive evidence that having a light on will cause vision problems. I
think we had mentioned that a while ago.

Sue -

Thank you for mentioning that. I've never heard that, but I've also never
made an active effort to look closely into that particular study. Maybe now
I should!

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame123

Old November 22nd 03, 03:11 PM
Sophie

Who do you think is right? My mum who says we should have a dim light
in the room so my son can see around before going to sleep, or me who
thinks near darkness helps get the baby to sleep and is better during
the night anyway?

Thanks,

Ken

I don't think my 2 yr old would *ever* fall asleep if he had a night light.
He would just play and play.
My 4 and 5 yr olds share a room. The 4 yr old goes to bed an hour before
the 5 yr old. He goes without a night light. When he's asleep and she goes
to bed we plug in the night light . She asked to sleep with one on, he's
asked not to.

I say leave the 2 yr old in darkness.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old November 22nd 03, 09:33 PM
Welches

My mum however (my son's grandmum) says that as the baby is lying
awake for longer at night, we should put a small light in his room so
he can look around and play with toys in his cot until he goes to
sleep. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I prefer him to
sleep in darkness if he can and also so that we don't have to disturb
him by going in later and turning the light off.

Who do you think is right? My mum who says we should have a dim light
in the room so my son can see around before going to sleep, or me who
thinks near darkness helps get the baby to sleep and is better during
the night anyway?

dd#1 (age 3) takes longer to go to sleep with a light. She's also more
likely to think of a reason for getting up again. If your child doesn't want
a light then I wouldn't think it is a good idea to introduce one. 2years old
is old enough to ask for one if he wants one.
Debbie

Old November 22nd 03, 11:16 PM
Irene

"Sue" wrote in message ...
Aula,

That study has not been proven conclusive. When doing the study, they forgot
about family history of vision problems and they couldn't find any
conclusive evidence that having a light on will cause vision problems. I
think we had mentioned that a while ago. Anecdotely, I have three children
only one wears glasses. However, we have a strong family history of vision
problems on both sides. It would stand to reason that at least one or some
of our children had to wear glasses. And even if the light did cause vision
problems, wearing glasses is not the end of the world.

IIRC, what they found was that the parents with bad vision were more
likely to use a night light so that *they* could see what was going on
at night. Once they corrected for that, I don't think there was a
correlation.

I don't really have any advice for the OP, since I've used a night
light (one of those rice paper lights with the interior part that
rotates, projecting fish images up to the ceiling) since ds was a
baby. I leave it on all night, since he wasn't sleeping through the
night regularly until very recently, and I needed the light myself (as
one of those parents with bad vision!). I don't think it contributed
to his night waking, but you never know. And he loves the lamp, so
it's not going anywhere anytime soon! (He's 28 months, btw.)

Irene