Epi-No

Old April 27th 04, 07:45 PM
Dagny

Default Epi-No

"Bryna729" wrote in message
Has anyone heard of a device called the "Epi-no"? It is supposed to

stretch
the perineum so one is less likely to need an episiotomy or to tear. My
sister's OB is trying to convince her she needs one, but it kinds of

sounds
suspicious to me. I had always thought that it's more important to

provide
compresses and stretching *during* labor to prevent tearing. The Epi-No

isn't
cheap, either.

You know, I think I will get one of these for a second preg. just because I
have to deal with navigating scar tissue second time around.

I think the biggest factors in not tearing a listening to your body,
pick your own positions, self directed pushing, do not disturb the birthing
woman. Sigh, I was not given any of these first time.

-- Dagny

Old April 28th 04, 01:43 AM
Bryna729

It's a German (or Austrian) invention, I think, and was heavily promoted
here a while ago. It then seemed like each and every midwife was in
favour of them and recommended them.
I haven't seen much talk about them recently any more.

Thanks for the info! I'll tell my sister.

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3
& Temima, 1
Old April 28th 04, 01:44 AM
Bryna729

You know, I think I will get one of these for a second preg. just because I
have to deal with navigating scar tissue second time around.

I think the biggest factors in not tearing a listening to your body,
pick your own positions, self directed pushing, do not disturb the birthing
woman. Sigh, I was not given any of these first time.

-- Dagny

Me neither. But I was for my second birth, and it was a totally different
experience. I just tore a little along the episiotomy scar, and I felt *so*
much better afterward. So hopefully you'll have a better experience next time
too...

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3