infant lost his "voice"

Old March 11th 08, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Greg R

Default infant lost his "voice"

Hello, I have a 6 week old son how had been fighting a minor cold the
last week or two (Ped. was aware and checked). Starting yesterday his
started to lose his "voice". Now when he grunts and cries he sounds
fairly hoarse, and when he attempted to really belt out a yell there's
not much there. It's really like if you or I REALLY had to clear our
throat. We called the Ped. again and they said to keep an eye on it
and call if it worsens or its not better in 3 days. Currently he has
no other symptoms, eats fine, no temp, not overly cranky, etc. So....
looking for support... Has anyone else experienced this?
Old March 12th 08, 05:48 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Mar 11, 10:23�am, Greg R wrote:
Hello, I have a 6 week old son how had been fighting a minor cold the
last week or two (Ped. was aware and checked). �Starting yesterday his
started to lose his "voice". �Now when he grunts and cries he sounds
fairly hoarse, and when he attempted to really belt out a yell there's
not much there. �It's really like if you or I REALLY had to clear our
throat. �We called the Ped. again and they said to keep an eye on it
and call if it worsens or its not better in 3 days. �Currently he has
no other symptoms, eats fine, no temp, not overly cranky, etc. �So.....
looking for support... Has anyone else experienced this?

It sounds like the doctor suspects the laryngitis is just an extension
of the viral illness baby recently had, which is harmless really.
Being such a young baby, you can't really explain that he needs to
rest his voice. lol. Go to the Mayo Clinic website and search
laryngitis so you can read up on it,know what other signs or symptoms
that might prompt you to request a return visit, and to relax your
worries a bit. It is really fairly common to develop laryngitis after
some viral illnesses. With baby being only 6 weeks old, I'd be more
worried that it would morph into an ear infection, which would also
prompt a baby to become extremely cranky, not sleep well, not eat
well, etc.
Old March 12th 08, 01:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Greg R

On Mar 12, 1:48Â*am, Chris wrote:
On Mar 11, 10:23�am, Greg R wrote:

[...]

After returning home from work yesterday I was psyched to see that his
"voice" is about 90% back!! Weird, but it appears to be a 24/48 hour
thing. Plus we've been keeping him near the humidifier for much
longer periods of the day (not just at night).