my 6 year old poops his pants

Old May 14th 08, 05:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default my 6 year old poops his pants

In article , Beth Kevles
says...

Hi --

I know that some people think the method I outlined (not my own method,
by the way, but one that's recommended by many pediatricians) is
micro-managing, but really, it's about emptying a distended bowel so
that the child can get back to whatever elimination schedule is normal
for him or her. If the source of the problem is NOT a distended bowel
triggered by witholding, then of course, this solution could make the
problem worse. But if the source of the problem IS what I've outlined,
then you this is the recommended course of action.

The $1000 question, of course, is just what IS the source of the
problem. And that's why it's important to check in with your child's
doctor before treating.

It's a sticky wicket - how to encourgage the elimination without exacerbating
it.

Peds of course are doctors, quite used to making scheduled rounds, etc., and
sometimes things just don't transfer into a homelife like that.

The morning and evening scheduled times may well work! Often does, apparently.

But when these things come up I try to build in some awareness of what exactly
can go on when someone tries to take over (directly, or even without even the
vaguest intent in how they schedule their family activities or warn against evul
germy public bathrooms) someone *else's* body functions. Especially this.

For a long time I thought I might as well be from Mars as far as how people talk
about elimination on the few occasions when they do. "Daily regularity" and
"wait until the end of this (activity)" then "did'nt you go when...". But
there's actually some normal variation between people that Ive been informed of
since. From one of my sons pediatricians, for one source.

Banty