Phenergan not working?

Old June 7th 05, 09:13 PM

Default Phenergan not working?

Hi everyone,

I'm 12w2d today, and my dr gave me a prescription for Phenergan
yesterday. I'd been taking vitamin B6 and Unisome for my nausea, but
it seems to losing effectiveness.

However, the Phenergan doesn't seem to work at all. I've taken a whole
pill last night and one this morning, and although I'm so tired I
couldn't go to work, I'm still sicker than before.

Also, this morning I threw up 4 times before 8 AM which is a new record
for me. Do I need to keep taking the Phenergan for a cumulative
effect? Did anyone else find the Unisom more effective? Also, someone
please tell me I'll stop feeling so sick soon! I'm afraid I'm going to
get fired for missing so many days of work.

Old June 7th 05, 11:31 PM
Amy

I'm 12w2d today, and my dr gave me a prescription for Phenergan
yesterday. I'd been taking vitamin B6 and Unisome for my nausea, but
it seems to losing effectiveness.

However, the Phenergan doesn't seem to work at all. I've taken a whole
pill last night and one this morning, and although I'm so tired I
couldn't go to work, I'm still sicker than before.

Also, this morning I threw up 4 times before 8 AM which is a new record
for me. Do I need to keep taking the Phenergan for a cumulative
effect? Did anyone else find the Unisom more effective? Also, someone
please tell me I'll stop feeling so sick soon! I'm afraid I'm going to
get fired for missing so many days of work.

Well, the good news is that it *generally* stops soon (between 12 and
14 weeks, ish). The bad news is that it can last until the kid's in
college, if you're unlucky.

I'd not heard of using Unisom for nausea - I would think it would just
make you tired. The trick with my (admittedly mild) morning sickness
was to eat through it. It takes discipline to eat when you feel like
you're going to hurl, but that is the ONLY thing that helps me. I
usually start off with a glass of cold milk (which I'll drink quickly,
usually while I'm making something else), then I go for something mild,
like a banana or some oatmeal. If you think, "Oh, I'm nauseated, I
can't eat..." and starve yourself, you're going to make it worse.

My guess is that, at least for me, the nausea was due to low blood
sugar (which is worse in the morning because you've been fasting for
hours and hours), and that the way to fix it was to get the blood sugar
back up, and that the way to do that was to eat. I figure that the
increased caloric requirements of pregnancy caused my blood sugar to be
lower than it would be if I weren't pregnant. This may be BS, but it
made sense given my symptoms and my situation (I've been hypoglycemic
since I was a little kid, so I knew how it felt. Morning sickness felt
like really bad hypoglycemia to me). There also may be multiple causes
of pregnancy nausea, and some of us get the hypoglycemia kind, while
others get the oh-I-hate-these-hormones-and-they-hate-me kind. I would
suspect that those women would've gotten nauseated from their periods,
but I'm just making crap up...

Try eating before your feet hit the floor, too. I kept a box of
granola bars by the bed. That also helps.

Does it comfort you at all that the old wives say that the sicker you
are, the stronger the baby is?

Amy

Old June 7th 05, 11:41 PM
Welches

"Amy" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

I'm 12w2d today, and my dr gave me a prescription for Phenergan
yesterday. I'd been taking vitamin B6 and Unisome for my nausea, but
it seems to losing effectiveness.

However, the Phenergan doesn't seem to work at all. I've taken a whole
pill last night and one this morning, and although I'm so tired I
couldn't go to work, I'm still sicker than before.

Also, this morning I threw up 4 times before 8 AM which is a new record
for me. Do I need to keep taking the Phenergan for a cumulative
effect? Did anyone else find the Unisom more effective? Also, someone
please tell me I'll stop feeling so sick soon! I'm afraid I'm going to
get fired for missing so many days of work.

Well, the good news is that it *generally* stops soon (between 12 and
14 weeks, ish). The bad news is that it can last until the kid's in
college, if you're unlucky.

My experience from friends is that 14-16 weeks seems to be more general
stopping time. Mine stopped about 2 hours after delivery, so at least you
don't usually have much more than 8 months of it....
:-)
Debbie

Old June 7th 05, 11:45 PM
Jennifer Howe

first off they can't fire you for something medical I would go get doctor
notes for each time you have to miss work because of the morning sickness.
2nd off it sounds like you have hypermesis, my suggest is this when you get
up in the morning you probably have a sour stomach because it is empty I
would keep some of those packages of crackers next to your bed and eat 1 or
2 crackers before getting completely out of bed. Next if your stomach is
still sour at this point take the phenergan with about 1/2 a glass of water
and sit back down for a few moments in fact while your sitting there you
could be getting the upper half of you ready for work. You have to take
things slow along with eating small meals with it. The more you get
stressed about the morning sickness the worse you are going to make the
morning sickness. Mine always happened on the way to work once I got on the
train I was sick at every stop til I got to work, very unpleasent to the
other passengers. Just keep in mind the slower you take things the better
things will become. Even if this means getting up a bit earlier to quilch
out the morning sickness.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alexander Nicholas 6/4/05

oups.com...

Old June 8th 05, 01:35 AM
dragonblade81

I used to work in an OB/GYN for 2 years and I would suggest talking to
your doctor about Reglan. Normally it is perscribed to help women with
nausea issues after surgery, but it can also be used for "morning
sickness". It is also a disolvable tablet that disolves under your
tongue, for #1 faster relief and #2 so you don't have to worry about
throwing up the medication. Good Luck!!

Old June 8th 05, 06:25 AM
Benevolent Prof

It sounds like you have hyperemesis gravidarum. Typical onset is
around 5-6 weeks and ends around 20 weeks. I have HG and at 22 weeks,
it's still going, though less than in the first trimester. A really
good site on the topic is:
http://www.helpher.org/

I was very lucky and had an OB with a clue who diagnosed me early and
I've had different treatments to help.

The good news is there are safe drugs that are stronger than Phenergan
or Reglan. The bad news is they're expensive. The most common
treatment is Zofran, but that's only because it's the only drug with
extensive research on its use for HG. I was prescribed Anzemet, which
is very similar, but IMHO works better and is less expensive.

There is treatment available and I agree with other posters who
encouraged you to go for help.

Susan
"Lentil" due Oct 1

Old June 8th 05, 03:31 PM
V.

"Jennifer Howe" wrote in message
k.net...
first off they can't fire you for something medical I would go get doctor
notes for each time you have to miss work because of the morning sickness.

Actually, if she's in the US she could get fired for going over her quota of
sick days if she doesn't qualify for FMLA. If she does qualify for FMLA,
she could apply for it now, which would protect her job, but cuts into the
amount of time she could take off for maternity leave (you're only allowed
12 weeks per year, unpaid of course). Even if she qualifies for FMLA, she'd
have to apply for it in order for it to protect her job, and she could get
fired before applying.
AFAIK, US maternity laws are much worse than UK, but at least we have them I
guess.

Amy V. ---I want Sweden's 90 months of paid leave!
EDD 11/25/05

Old June 8th 05, 08:11 PM
Pologirl

Apart from the other good advice already offered, I suggest you
try the phenergan rectal suppository instead of a pill by mouth.
When I am nauseous, I cannot take anything by mouth; it comes
right back up. Another advantage of the suppository, which is
a "bullet" of soft wax, is you can cut the dose easily as needed.