Did you have any indication that labour was iminent?

Old July 17th 03, 04:34 AM
Alicia Elliott

Default Did you have any indication that labour was iminent?

I have been very curious about this since my spotting a few days ago. I
know that I may yet go until my due date, but everyone (including my
midwife) thinks I will go into labour early. Since there is no way of
knowing, I just thought I'd poll to see what different people's experiences
were with their first babies. Did you have any indications that it was
coming? Were you surprised by the onset of labour? How long did it take
between first bloody show and onset of labour?

I am guessing I'll probably be another two weeks before I go into labour,
but like I said, there is no way to know, and I'm really curious to see what
other people have experienced.

Thanks much, Alicia

Old July 17th 03, 09:28 AM
Alicia Elliott

Thanks, I was hoping someone would insult my intelligence.

"web user" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
..........................contractions???

Old July 17th 03, 11:47 AM
Welches

Alicia Elliott wrote in message
. ca...
I have been very curious about this since my spotting a few days ago. I
know that I may yet go until my due date, but everyone (including my
midwife) thinks I will go into labour early. Since there is no way of
knowing, I just thought I'd poll to see what different people's

experiences
were with their first babies. Did you have any indications that it was
coming? Were you surprised by the onset of labour? How long did it take
between first bloody show and onset of labour?

I am guessing I'll probably be another two weeks before I go into labour,
but like I said, there is no way to know, and I'm really curious to see

what
other people have experienced.

I had no signs at all. Not even braxton hicks contractions. We went out for
a meal the night before and at 1am I woke and thought I had period pain.
What put me onto that it was contractions was that they went on and off. I
timed them and they were regular 5 minutes apart and about 30 seconds long.
I decided to wait and see if they went away, and woke dh up at about 3am
when they were still the same. They didn't really increase until the next
evening though, but didn't go away either.
I didn't have a show at all (that I noticed) nor did my waters break until
the next evening. I don't think I nested, but as we moved house at 37 weeks
maybe I'd had enough of that anyway! I guess if I'd been doing something
busy I might not have noticed the initial contractions, but as I was trying
to sleep they were quite noticeable.
I think the show can appear 5 weeks-ish before labour starts, so don't get
too impatient!!
Good luck!
Debbie

Old July 17th 03, 02:56 PM
Elizabeth Reid

"Alicia Elliott" wrote in message .ca...
I have been very curious about this since my spotting a few days ago. I
know that I may yet go until my due date, but everyone (including my
midwife) thinks I will go into labour early. Since there is no way of
knowing, I just thought I'd poll to see what different people's experiences
were with their first babies. Did you have any indications that it was
coming? Were you surprised by the onset of labour? How long did it take
between first bloody show and onset of labour?

I didn't even have any indications that it was *happening*.

I was 42 weeks pregnant and scheduled for an induction, no dilation,
very little effacement. I was supposed to go into the hospital in
the morning, but the resident called us up and said that he'd discussed
it with my doctor and it made more sense for us to come in that
evening and I'd have gel applied to my cervix overnight, they'd
do the real induction the next morning if nothing was happening. So
my husband and I took our last 'free' day and ran around, did errands,
had lunch, etc. I had lots of contractions but I'd been having them
for weeks and they didn't hurt, so I didn't pay any attention to
them. When we got to the hospital at around 7 PM, they hooked me
up to a monitor and the resident checked me, and said, "Um, have you
been having contractions today?" I said, sure. He said, "You're
having contractions regularly and you're three centimeters dilated.
We can't induce labor because you're already *in* labor. Go home."

I felt really silly, but was happy to comply. It didn't start to
hurt until about 1 AM, which is when I count my labor from because
it seems like cheating to start counting before I even noticed!

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002
Old July 17th 03, 03:41 PM
Shannon

With my first i lost my mucus plug which wasnt bloody at all and i think it
was the next night i went into labor. Even when i lost the plug i didnt knwo
that was a sign it was coming as i was onyl 16 years old. My mom told me
what t was but never told me why it came out or what it was for. With my
next 3 i never knew it was coming at all, no signs at all, it just came.

Shannon
due sept 12

Old July 17th 03, 03:44 PM
Catheleijne Berck

Alicia Elliott wrote:

I have been very curious about this since my spotting a few days ago. I
know that I may yet go until my due date, but everyone (including my
midwife) thinks I will go into labour early. Since there is no way of
knowing, I just thought I'd poll to see what different people's experiences
were with their first babies. Did you have any indications that it was
coming? Were you surprised by the onset of labour? How long did it take
between first bloody show and onset of labour?

I am guessing I'll probably be another two weeks before I go into labour,
but like I said, there is no way to know, and I'm really curious to see what
other people have experienced.

Thanks much, Alicia

I had no idea, though DH and my mother both thought I was different
somehow on friday and had the feeling something was going to happen. I
fully expected this baby to be late, and as I was 2 days from my duedate
didn't expect anything at all. No bloody show, didn't lose my plug, but
my waters broke saturday early in the AM as I got out of bed because I
suddenly had a fierce backache (which turned out to be a contraction).
Lost my plug an hour or so after my water broke. So I was a bit
surprised...

Cath
Fenna 05/07/03
Old July 17th 03, 04:10 PM
Marie

kereru wrote in message ...
Maybe you need to read up on labor or look up the word imminent in the
dictionary.

Contractions happen when labour has already started.

Or months before.
Marie

Old July 17th 03, 04:42 PM
Astromum

Alicia Elliott wrote:
I am guessing I'll probably be another two weeks before I go into labour,
but like I said, there is no way to know, and I'm really curious to see what
other people have experienced.

I had contractions at night for a week before labour started, and then it
started with the water breaking, which was a pretty clear sign However,
I recall that the day before I was extremely restless, woke up very early
and really didn't know what to do with myself. When I described this to my
mum, her response was 'it won't take long from here!'. And she was right,
48h later I held DS.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)