Newbie dad to be

Old July 22nd 03, 09:13 PM
aps

Default Newbie dad to be

In article YhgTa.120804$H17.37514@sccrnsc02, Em
wrote:

We decided to find out. I felt like it would make the baby more "real" to me
to know (and it did). We also wanted to get psyched up for whichever one we
were having as opposed to be surprised at the actual birth.

We decided not to find out, and I regretted it throughout the
pregnancy. My whole point was that I knew I wanted a girl, and I wanted
some time to accept it if it was a boy. My wife thought it would be
more fun and that the intensity of the moment would wipe away any
disappointment. She expected and wanted a boy.

As it turned out, we had a girl, and I was elated and very, very
relieved. I'm a little ashamed of that to be honest. My wife was
disappointed along with lots of other intense emotions, none of which
really wiped another away. Above all, finding out was thrilling. But so
is a good suspense movie.

8 weeks later, I sometimes see our daughter as a boy--I think it's
because I had preconceived ideas of what it'd be like to raise a girl
and she's pretty much just a little critter at this point.

APS
Old July 22nd 03, 10:27 PM
Shelly

"Jeridiah" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

Been lurking since finding out my wife is pregnant with our first.
EDD is 3-14(pi day). So far this has been an informative and
interesting group(aside from the inordinate amount of trolls on this
group).

Hi Jeridiah,

Congrats and welcome! I'm also due with my first on 3-14. Hope you stick
around despite the trolls.

We've tentatively decided not to find out...but we'll probably change our
minds a few times between now and the first ultrasound.

....and I'll get in my own little "Go geeks!" cheer here.
-Michelle

Old July 23rd 03, 12:50 AM
zeldabee

aps wrote:
[...]
As it turned out, we had a girl, and I was elated and very, very
relieved. I'm a little ashamed of that to be honest. My wife was
disappointed along with lots of other intense emotions, none of which
really wiped another away. Above all, finding out was thrilling. But so
is a good suspense movie.

That's interesting...I'd always envisioned myself having a girl, and before
being pregnant, I remember actively wanting a girl/not wanting a boy. Then,
once I was pregnant, I wondered how I'd feel if it turned out I was to have
a boy. Bloke has daughters, and I knew he'd be thrilled to have a son. But
I really didn't know how I'd feel.

Then, at 16 weeks, I had an amnio done, and had a complication. I leaked
some amniotic fluid shortly after the procedure, which was very scary, and
I was terrified that I was going to lose the baby. I was absolutely beside
myself. I spent the night in hospital on IV fluids.

The next morning, they did a sonogram to check the fluid level (it was
fine), and the tech asked me if I'd wanted to know the sex, and I said yes.
We just happened to have a really clear view...she pointed out the legs,
and the little penis. And I was just overwhelmed by emotion, both because
he was apparently fine, and a little boy. Suddenly he was a person to me,
and I think that was when I started to love him.

That was just my own experience...I think it's interesting that my feelings
turned around so instantaneously. I still sometimes feel wistful when I see
a little girl, especially since this baby is likely to be my only child,
but now I can't imagine this baby being anything other than a boy. I'm glad
I found out my baby's sex when I did...and now I can't wait to meet him.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/