Interesting local article on baby names

Old September 26th 03, 07:50 PM
dragonlady

Default Interesting local article on baby names

In article ,
Clisby wrote:

Irene wrote:
Clisby wrote in message

It might have been a surname in her family. There's nothing new about
giving a child a surname as a first name - that's how I got mine, and
I'm not the only Clisby in the family.

Clisby

And here I always assumed Clisby was a screen name and not your first
name at all! Just goes to show you...

Irene

Well, at least you're not one of the people who have asked me (ALL MY
LIFE) whether Clisby is short for something. What in the world could
it be *short* for?

Clisby

Cleopatra S. Byron?

(And, yes, I do know a woman named Cleopatra; she's probably close to
70, and was born in Brazil -- don't know if it's a common name there,
but it is her name.)

Old September 26th 03, 07:56 PM
Nina

"Clisby" wrote Well, at least you're not one of
the people who have asked me (ALL MY
LIFE) whether Clisby is short for something. What in the world could
it be *short* for?

Clisby

Clisabeth? Clisabelle?

Old September 26th 03, 08:42 PM
Lynne M.

"Nina" wrote in message et...
"Lynne M." wrote in

. I know of a young woman who
named her son Blaise, but she pronounces it bla Zay. How long do you
think that will stick? I'll bet you money that the rest of the
world refuses to go along with her interpretation (because it
seems not only ignorant but also cruel) and calls the kid "blaze."

His name isnt "Blaise", its "Blah zay" (blasé). THe spoken name is the name,
the spelling is merely a way to get it on paper, thats why so many people
work hard on alternate spllings, trying to get the sounds JUST riht.

Well, I understand that, but she didn't do that, did she? If she was
trying to get the sounds just right, she would have written it Blahzay,
just the way you did. At least then it would look like a "different"
name, rather than a mispronounced one -- and it would look exactly
like it sounds. Sure, people who get to know the kid will learn to
call him Blahzay, but folks who first meet him will likely assume
that the name is pronounced the traditional way: blaze.

If the kid is AfricanAmerican and IF she is from a low socioeconomic
level,the kid will be called BlahZay his entire life because THAT IS HIS
NAME. Blaze is a different name that can be spelled the same way his is. And
Im sure he will not be alone in having a ridiculous name, unfortunatley. If
a Shaniqua and Shenene can make it, surely a BlahZay can.

You know what I think is odd? We think it's very, very important to
find out the sex of the child early so we can have the correct,
gender-appropriate wardrobe from day one, then a lot of us we name
the baby something that's ambiguous or outright confusing. You'd think
we'd be dressing our kids unisex if we were consistent with our naming
trends, but we aren't.

Many parents feel that ambiguous names for females give them an advantage in
that they cant be discriminated against based on their name alone. There are
studies that show that employers discriminate against potential employees
with names that are typically African American. No doubt it happens with
women as well.

Well, that's another good point, but I'm not aware that people think
there is an advantage in naming your son something that many
people think sounds feminine. I think our social norms are such that
you can much more easily get away with giving your daughter a name
like Jaymz than you can giving your son a name like Jade or Gabrielle.
I am seeing as many 'girlish' boy names as 'boyish' girl names.
I just think it's odd that we are so concerned with baby clothes,
then abandon our rules when it comes to names.
Lynne
Old September 26th 03, 08:55 PM
Jacqui

Jenn wibbled
Jacqui wrote:
Hillary Israeli wibbled
Elly wrote:
*
*No, Italians are very "strict" about the "a" sound - "a" is
always *pronounced like the name "M-a-rk", or the words "car",
"dark", etc.

but....but.... "Alessandra" contains the "a" sound three times,
and never once does it sound like the vowel sound in Mark, car,
or dark...whimper

I don't know if this is a translation error at the other end -
the a in la macchina (car) is nothing like the a in car. All the
a sounds I can think of in Italian are short, like pack or cat.
Gianni sounds like Janny (not Gee-arni as the EastEnders
character was shamefully known for his first few weeks in the
show!).

in my English pronunciation Macchina and car have the same a --

There are so many Italian dialects, and so many English vowel sounds,
that it is likely that this is true - but certainly for me (RP British
English and Roman/Sicilian Italian) there is absolutely no similarity
between la macchina and car. I really cannot think of an Italian word
offhand that uses the a from the English car.

Jac
Old September 26th 03, 08:59 PM
Jacqui

Clisby wibbled

Well, at least you're not one of the people who have asked me (ALL
MY LIFE) whether Clisby is short for something. What in the
world could it be *short* for?

Clisabeth? Clisbeline? Clisabel? Clisbyrina... er... ;-)

Jac

Old September 26th 03, 09:54 PM
Jacqui

Circe wibbled
Hillary Israeli wrote

but....but.... "Alessandra" contains the "a" sound three times,
and never once does it sound like the vowel sound in Mark, car,
or dark...whimper

Ah-less-ahn-drah. Sounds like the "a" in Mark, car, and dark to
me!

But Alessandra has no ah sounds in it at all for me, it's al-ess-an-
dra. The same a as in Jacqui, Italy, pasta, macaroni, trattoria...
Would you call my father, should you meet him, Ahn-toe-nee-o? (An-ton-
yo is much closer to the real pronunciation.)

Jac

Old September 26th 03, 10:06 PM
Rosalie B.

"Circe" wrote:

"toto" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:27:47 GMT, Rosalie B.

wrote:

Mrs. Bucket (bouquet) aside.

I love that show.

Even my kids love it. Julian always wants to know on Saturday nights when
it's time for Hyacinth!

Well I hate it - it makes me so embarrassed for her that I can't stand to
watch it. DH loves it however.

grandma Rosalie
Old September 26th 03, 10:08 PM
Tatjana Farkin

"Circe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

My personal suspicion is that it's from the Latin emereo, a verb

meaning "to
obtain by service, earn completely". Emeritus, as in "professor

emeritus" is
derived from the same root.

*That*, on the other hand, we do have in German. But not Emerson as
such.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Old September 26th 03, 10:10 PM
Rosalie B.

Clisby wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
Clisby wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Clisby wrote:

Yes, it's a very old name in S.C. - one of the eight English aristocrats
who got land grants to settle the state was Anthony Ashley Cooper (Lord
Ashley) - so Charleston is on the Ashley and Cooper rivers, and it seems
like every third friggin' place is Ashley this or Ashley that. And it's
still a surname. Not just in S.C. - I checked the Atlanta phone book
and found a couple of columns of Ashleys.

I have no idea how popular it was as a first name before Margaret
Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind. (Rhett is a surname, too, but it
doesn't seem to have caught on as a first name like Ashley did.)

My mom's grandfather in NC thought GWTW was trash. So it isn't or wasn't a
universally appreciated book. I'm pretty sure that the Ashleys antedated
GWTW.

It was pretty much trash, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't name a
child after a character in it. After all, how many kids have been
named after popular TV/movie characters?

What I meant was - it is unlikely that Rhett (or Scarlett) would be picked
up in the old South as a given name on the basis of its use in GWTW.

Oh, I gotcha. I don't know - I'd expect GWTW was pretty popular in the
old south. Moonlight and magnolias, and all that.

Well this is another difference - my great grandfather objected to
Scarlett's behavior (no well bred lady would do anything like she did) and
the view of the south after the War of Northern Aggression. There are
still people who regard Lincoln as (gross oversimplification) the enemy
there. Moonlight and magnolias isn't necessary or sufficient.

grandma Rosalie
Old September 26th 03, 10:28 PM
Nina

"Lynne M." wrote in message
om...
"Nina" wrote in message

[...]

All I can say is WHO KNOWS why folk do what they do!

[...]

I guess its all about being creative, Im not a fan of made up names either
and have one son, a Jordan. Hopefully the tide wont turn so far that in 20
years that will be seen as a girls name. My uncles are all named things that
were once male and now either mostly female or on the edge.

Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Tips/tricks for first time moms: Add your suggestions! JuliesSolo Pregnancy 34 September 19th 03 08:26 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM