Interesting local article on baby names

Old September 27th 03, 01:14 PM
Caroline B.

Default Interesting local article on baby names

"Elly" wrote in message ...
"Sophie" ha scritto nel messaggio
snip
I really can't think of one name I like for a
boy *and* a girl.

When we started making the list of baby names, the unisex names we liked
were Jordan, Justin/Justine and Loren. We vetoed all of them, except leaving
Jordan as an option, but only for a boy.

Elly
38 weeks + 4 days
(11 days to go!)
EDD October 6th

Justin/Justine are not unisex. Justine is pronounced much differently
than Justin -- as Jus-TEEN.
Old September 27th 03, 01:25 PM
toto

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:14:04 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

LOL

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old September 27th 03, 04:53 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Clisby wrote:

dejablues wrote:
Gee-an...say it fast...Gi-an!

That's what I thought - that is close to "John", assuming you
accent the second syllable. If you don't, I take it back.

Clisby

you pronounce every vowel in Italian -- but Americans tend to take that
to extremes with Gianni -- it is Gee Ah nee -- but said so quickly and
blended that it sounds more like johnny than gee ahn ee
Old September 27th 03, 08:29 PM
Clisby

Rosalie B. wrote:
Clisby wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Clisby wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

Well this is another difference - my great grandfather objected to
Scarlett's behavior (no well bred lady would do anything like she did) and
the view of the south after the War of Northern Aggression. There are
still people who regard Lincoln as (gross oversimplification) the enemy
there. Moonlight and magnolias isn't necessary or sufficient.

Sure, there are people who still regard Lincoln as the enemy. That's
what I meant - I'd expect those people to *like* GWTW, considering that
it has such a rose-colored-glasses view of the pre-war south.

Oh, I see - well all I can say is that when I read GWTW it was a copy
which my great grandfather had annotated for my mom, and it was full of the
kind of "this is rubbish" kind of notes, and that was in the pre-war
sections, so evidently he didn't see it that way.

I can well believe it's full of rubbish - but still, the GWTW view is
that the south was fighting a noble cause, the Yankees were evil, the
slaves were better off in slavery, etc. Maybe your great-grandfather
was a liberal for his time?

No - but he was aghast at Scarlet's behavior.

FWIW, he fought on the side of the South and was imprisoned at Point
Lookout prison in MD.

grandma Rosalie

My mother went to see the GWTW movie when it first came out - she would
have been 11 or 12. She said when Rhett utters the famous line,
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" you could hear shocked gasps all
over the theater.

Clisby

Old September 27th 03, 09:08 PM
Daye

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:27:48 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

People can spell their names any way they damn well please, and no one else
has anything to say about it. It's totally not their business.

(The "you" is a general "you". It is not directed at Rosalie.)

That is true. It isn't my business what people choose to name their
kids or how they chose to spell it.

I do have my own ideas about what to name *my* child. People feel the
need to comment to me about what I have named or what I will name my
child. In fact when people tell me that they don't like the names we
are considering, my comeback is "It is a good thing then that this is
*my* child and not yours."

If you like trendy or misspelled names, that is fine. However, do not
inflict your ideas on me. And I will not tell you that I think those
names are horrible.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 28th 03, 01:54 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Puester wrote:

*Hillary Israeli wrote:
*
* but....but.... "Alessandra" contains the "a" sound three times, and never
* once does it sound like the vowel sound in Mark, car, or dark...whimper
*
*It does if you pronounce it correctly in Italian:
*Ah-less-AHN-drah.

I *know* how to pronounce Alessandra. Now, I don't know how you all are
pronouncing Mark, but it must be very different from the way I pronounce
Mark (and car, and dark...). I guess. I don't know.

Old September 28th 03, 01:33 PM
Linz

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:28:17 GMT, "Nina"
wrote:

"Lynne M." wrote in message
. com...

Well, that's another good point, but I'm not aware that people think
there is an advantage in naming your son something that many
people think sounds feminine. I think our social norms are such that
you can much more easily get away with giving your daughter a name
like Jaymz than you can giving your son a name like Jade or Gabrielle.
I am seeing as many 'girlish' boy names as 'boyish' girl names.
I just think it's odd that we are so concerned with baby clothes,
then abandon our rules when it comes to names.
Lynne

I guess its all about being creative, Im not a fan of made up names either
and have one son, a Jordan. Hopefully the tide wont turn so far that in 20
years that will be seen as a girls name. My uncles are all named things that
were once male and now either mostly female or on the edge.

Jordan is already being used a girl's name. Sorry!
--
EDD 1/11/03
33 weeks
Old September 28th 03, 01:43 PM
Sophie

Your mileage may vary. In the UK there is very little difference in
pronunciations of Alex and Alix. Alex can be short for Alexander or
Alexandra, Alix is more likely to be a girl's name.
--
EDD 1/11/03
33 weeks

I would say Alex and Alix the same too.

Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Tips/tricks for first time moms: Add your suggestions! JuliesSolo Pregnancy 34 September 19th 03 08:26 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM