Interesting local article on baby names

Old September 28th 03, 09:50 PM
Circe

Default Interesting local article on baby names

"Clisby" wrote in message
Circe wrote:
"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .

I'd like to name a child Edward, after a relative of mine, but it sounds
rather dated to me.

For what it's worth, my cousin and his wife have a 5yo son named Edward.

He
is never called Ed or Eddie. I think it's a terrific name, not dated at

all!
(But then, I have a son named Vernon, and there's hardly a name on the
planet more dated than that with the possible exception of Horace g!)

There's Percy.

Well, at least Percy is the name of a cool train in Thomas and Friends.

As long as we're playing one-upsmanship, I'll put in Cyril and Basil g!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"She rose her eyebrows at Toby" -- from "O' Artful Death", by Sarah Stewart
Taylor

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old September 28th 03, 11:54 PM
Vicki S

Circe wrote:
Edward... I think it's a terrific name, not dated at all!
(But then, I have a son named Vernon, and there's hardly a name on the
planet more dated than that with the possible exception of Horace g!)

Clisby replied:
There's Percy.

I *would* protest, because there is a Percy Weasley in the exceedingly
modern Harry Potter books (and all his siblings have nice enough names)
but Percy Weasley himself is so hideously old-fashioned (well, that's
comes close to describing him) that I'm not going to try this argument.
I think Rowling must have been trying to give us a clue to his
personality by giving him that name.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old September 29th 03, 12:57 AM
Katie Jaques

"Circe" wrote in message news:PZCdb.4050$hp5.3486@fed1read04...
"iphigenia" wrote in message
Rosalie B. wrote:
Versailles, KY locally pronounced Ver-sails. Granted, no one ever
has a problem with Paris vs Par-ee but Ver-sails instead of
Vayr-seye......like nails on a chalkboard.

Yes, but that's the name of the town there. Isn't Des Moines
pronounced differently too?

Still, "Vur-SAYles" and "KAY-ro" sound ignorant to me.

Des Moines? Deh Moyne? How does anyone else say it?

Yeah, but it'd be Deh Mwon (or something pretty close to that) in French,
with the terminal "n" scarcely audible.
--

Pronunciation lesson, courtesy of comic poet Ogden Nash, c.
1950-something:

Some Angelenos fine each other a dolla
For saying La Jolla
And give each other a Picasso or a Goya
For saying La Hoya.
Why should I not pick up a masterpiece or a coin?
I shall no longer say Des Moines.
I shall sail into the CB&Q* ticket office like a swan,
And ask for a lower to Day Mwan.

Actually in French you DO pronounce the n because of the es after it;
more or less to rhyme with swan. It means "of the least."

Grandma Katie
Mom to Barbara (Circe), Grandma to Julian, Aurora & Vernon

*For you young folks: Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad ...
subsequently merged with Great Northern to become Burlington Northern
.... now Burlington Northern Santa Fe, or BNSF
Old September 29th 03, 01:10 AM
iphigenia

toto wrote:

That's what happens when you name your child after the Archangel g

Yeah, guess I was really setting myself up there...with this latest molar
coming in, he's been anything but angelic! : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 29th 03, 12:26 PM
Elly

"Circe" ha scritto nel messaggio
How would you say Roma in Italian? Pisa? Italia? There aren't any "a"

sounds
in there the way I hear Italian--they're all closer to "ah".

Not to the Italians ;-)

Old September 29th 03, 01:16 PM
Linz

"Vicki S" wrote in message
Circe wrote:
Edward... I think it's a terrific name, not dated at all!
(But then, I have a son named Vernon, and there's hardly a name on
the planet more dated than that with the possible exception of
Horace g!)

Clisby replied:
There's Percy.

I *would* protest, because there is a Percy Weasley in the exceedingly
modern Harry Potter books (and all his siblings have nice enough
names) but Percy Weasley himself is so hideously old-fashioned (well,
that's comes close to describing him) that I'm not going to try this
argument. I think Rowling must have been trying to give us a clue to
his personality by giving him that name.

I think all of the Weasley children have fairly old-fashioned names to
UK ears - with the possible exception of Charlie and Ginny. Fred and
George get by as traditional but Bill, Ron and Percy are all quite dated
names.

Old September 29th 03, 03:39 PM
Circe

"Elly" wrote in message
"Circe" ha scritto nel messaggio
How would you say Roma in Italian? Pisa? Italia? There aren't any "a"

sounds
in there the way I hear Italian--they're all closer to "ah".

Not to the Italians ;-)

Maybe *they* don't think it does, but they certainly say it that way. There
is *no* way that the "a" in Roma rhymes with the "a" in cat. And I was in
Italy at this time last year, so I heard plenty of people speaking Italian.
Not one "a" sound I heard spoken by a native sounded the *least* bit like
the "a" in cat.

Old September 29th 03, 04:20 PM
P. G. Chavez

Taniwha grrrl wrote and I snipped:

Gabriel is a comon girls name here in New Zealand but is
usually shortened to Gabby. You don't hear of any boy's here
names Gabriel.

My experience in the U.S. is that Gabby is short for Gabrielle, both
pronounced with a short a. Gabriel has a long a and can be
shortened to Gabe. This is DH's first name and DS's middle name. (I
often hear of boys born on Christmas Day who are named Gabriel after the
Archangel.) As iphigenia posted, people often mispronounce Gabriel with
a short a, such as the telemarketers who call for DH.

-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]
Old September 30th 03, 03:36 AM
Vicki S

In article ,
"Linz" wrote:

"Vicki S" wrote in message
I *would* protest, because there is a Percy Weasley in the exceedingly
modern Harry Potter books (and all his siblings have nice enough
names) but Percy Weasley himself is so hideously old-fashioned (well,
that's comes close to describing him) that I'm not going to try this
argument. I think Rowling must have been trying to give us a clue to
his personality by giving him that name.

I think all of the Weasley children have fairly old-fashioned names to
UK ears - with the possible exception of Charlie and Ginny. Fred and
George get by as traditional but Bill, Ron and Percy are all quite dated
names.

Wow, really? That's really interesting. I think of William and Ronald
as what I think you are calling "traditional" and I think of as either
"timeless" or "boring". Frankly, I'd put Charles, Frederick and
George in that timeless/boring category also. I think Percival is fussy
and old-fashioned and Ginny ok as a nickname, but I don't know if it is
supposed to be short for Virginia or Regina or Genevieve or what.

On another note, I've always thought it hilarious that Harry's aunt
Petunia deems "Harry" a "common" name - since Prince Harry is hardly a
commoner.

Old September 30th 03, 03:49 AM
Taniwha grrrl

Vicki S wrote:

On another note, I've always thought it hilarious that

Harry's aunt
Petunia deems "Harry" a "common" name - since Prince Harry

is hardly a
commoner.

His real name is Henry though I think, not Harry, Harry is
his nick name.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Tips/tricks for first time moms: Add your suggestions! JuliesSolo Pregnancy 34 September 19th 03 08:26 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM