Prevnar, and intro

Old August 8th 03, 02:31 PM
Allison Smith

Default Prevnar, and intro

Hi,
I've been lurking here since my second daughter was born 5 weeks ago. We
just had our one month appointment and our doctor gave us a pamphlet on
Prevnar, and said that we should get it done for both our girls (oldest is
2.5). I'd like to make an informed decision before blindly agreeing. I'm
just wondering what others opinions are.
TIA,
Allie
Mum to Morgan (11/23/00)
and Paige (06/30/03)

Old August 8th 03, 03:03 PM
Leigh Menconi

My father-in-law's a doctor and recommended it for our entire family when it
came out when our twins were little. I never got around to getting mine but
my husband and 3 kids did and I don't think anyone's had an ear infection,
even my daughter with Down syndrome which makes her more vulnerable to them
because her ear canals are so small.

Leigh in raLeigh

.. .

Old August 8th 03, 06:18 PM
Sue

At the time it came out, my daughters were too old to get it. We also didn't
have any problems with ear infections. I think if your children are prone to
ear infections it can be of value, but at the time that it did come out my
doctor was not all that enthused about it so we didn't get it.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 9th 03, 12:44 AM
Michelle J. Haines

In article , roobaby8
@hotmail.com says...

I've been lurking here since my second daughter was born 5 weeks ago. We
just had our one month appointment and our doctor gave us a pamphlet on
Prevnar, and said that we should get it done for both our girls (oldest is
2.5). I'd like to make an informed decision before blindly agreeing. I'm
just wondering what others opinions are.

Our second child died of pneumococcal meningitis about a year before
Prevnar was released. Our opinion is, "Get it, absolutely, no
question."

However, at 2.5, your daughter should instead get Pneumovax, which is
an older vaccine that covers 26 strains of pneumococcus instead of
Prevnar's seven. The reason for Prevnar is that Pneumovax did not
work on children under the age of two.

FWIW, we get our children vaccinated with Prevnar as infants, and
then again with Pneumovax when they're three, to be safe. But we
have significant reason to be paranoid about pneumococcus.

Also, FWIW, there have been no reported serious side effects with
Prevnar to date that I know of.

Michelle
Flutist
--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!
Old August 9th 03, 04:11 PM
Nikki

Allison Smith wrote:
Hi,
I've been lurking here since my second daughter was born 5 weeks ago.
We just had our one month appointment and our doctor gave us a
pamphlet on Prevnar, and said that we should get it done for both our
girls (oldest is
2.5). I'd like to make an informed decision before blindly agreeing.
I'm just wondering what others opinions are.

I had my kids get it. Hunter was about 2.5 at the time. Meningitis is just
a really scary thing to me so I didn't hesitate. I've known to many people
IRL that got it for me to feel like it wouldn't happen to me. Hunter who
had the prevnar when he was older, had 4 ear infections and Luke, who had it
as an infant, had none. That doesn't really prove anything since all kids
are different. I think vaccines are good so my kids have had them all and
have never had a reaction. I've done a moderate amount of research is all.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)