Ugly Sounds of an Actual Spanking

Old July 23rd 04, 06:56 PM
Chris

Default Ugly Sounds of an Actual Spanking

http://www.geocities.com/cddugan/ReportCard.htm

Those who have traumatic issues about corporal punishment in childhood
should use discretion. This sound file can be extremely upsetting.

Chris

Old July 25th 04, 06:07 PM
Jennifer

Doan wrote in message ...

Regurgitated propaganda. Dare to discuss the Struas & Mouradian (1998)
study?

I would like to know more about spanking studies that come to sensible
conclusions. Go ahead and post it!

Chris wrote in message ...

# http://www.geocities.com/cddugan/ReportCard.htm

This file's been doing the rounds for years. It does sound like a
mother giving her daughter a mild spanking, although for a reason that
I wouldn't spank a child for. Where does the tape come from? Why did
a woman record herself spanking her daughter and then pass the tape to
anti-spanking propagandists?

Jennie
Old July 27th 04, 11:31 PM
Doan

On 25 Jul 2004, Jennifer wrote:

Doan wrote in message ...

Regurgitated propaganda. Dare to discuss the Struas & Mouradian (1998)
study?

I would like to know more about spanking studies that come to sensible
conclusions. Go ahead and post it!

I would recommend you to look up the October 1996 issue of Pediatrics.
You might also want to look up the recent study, Baumrind & Owens (2001):

To Summarize These Results:
--------------------------
"Prior to removing the few parents whose use of physical punishment was
unusually severe for this population and controlling the methodological
artifacts that could account for the associations, frequency of physical
punishment was associated with detrimental child outcomes, as antispanking
advocates such as Straus claim." However, once the Red zone families were
removed, there were few significant associations left to explain between
child outcomes and dimensional or categorical measures of NORMATIVE physical
punishment. Furthermore, the correlations with detrimental child outcomes
of physical punishment did not exceed those of verbal punishment. When
alternative explanations, including the adolescents' self-reported favorable
perception of their parents, are considered, there are NO effects of NORMATIVE
PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT on child or adolescent outcomes. The apparent effects of
NPP are explained by baseline child misbehavior and third variables that
contribute to a pattern of rejection and overcontrol in which reliance on
physical punishment is embedded. The 3 children (all girls) of parents
who totally abstainted from spanking at all time points, were not more
competent by adolescence than the whose parents spanked occasionally. All
were prosocial but two were very low on self-assertiveness and the one who
was self-assertive and achievement-oriented manifested severe internalizing
and externalizing symptoms. Unexpectedly, even the presence of above-average
frequency of normative physical punishment represented by the Orange zone
did not attenuate at all the positive outcomes associated with Authoritative
or Democratic parenting. Thus we found no evidence for unique detrimental
effects of normative physical punishment.

To my knowledge this is the only study using high quality data in a prospective
longitudinal design to assess the effects of normative physical punishment,
after controlling for the following methodological artifacts: shared source
variance, the intervention selection bias introduced by baseline child
misbehavior, and plausible thir parenting variables that were associated with
both frequency of use of normative physical punishment and detrimental child
outcomes. This is one of the few studies to contrast the effects of normative
physical punishment with another aversive disciplinary intervention, and to
contrast the effects of "no spanking" with those "low frequency" spanking.

Doan

Old August 4th 04, 05:23 PM
Doan

Regurgitated propapanda. Anything to avoid discussing the Straus &
Mouradian (1998) study, Chris? ;-)

Doan

Old August 15th 04, 05:26 PM
Doan

Regurgitated propaganda. Anything to avoid debating the Straus &
Mouradian (1998) study, Chris?

Doan

Old August 19th 04, 02:22 AM

Chris, get over it......you have some other issues that are deep in your
head.....maybe you should "eat a bullet" to take you out of your
misery.......

The tape of the "spanking" wasn't all that bad, there was hardly any
swats going on.
A girl cries at anything anyway, you can look cross eyed at a girl and
they cry.

Mark Mcdonald
Betty Mcdonald
Angola, Ind.

Debate on spanking Doan General 0 June 12th 04 08:30 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
| | Kids should work... Kane Spanking 12 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Spanking 16 December 7th 03 05:27 AM