Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer

Old November 10th 06, 04:00 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

Default Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer

http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer
(NewsTarget) On Wednesday, research was released from the Karolinska
Institute in Sweden that showed people who drink soft drinks or add sugar to
their coffee increase their risk of developing pancreatic cancer.
The researchers studied the diets of nearly 80,000 men and women between
1997 and 2005. Of those, 131 developed cancer of the pancreas. The group of
people who reported drinking sodas or syrup-based drinks twice a day or more
were 90 percent more likely to develop pancreatic cancer than those who did
not consume such beverages; people who added sugar to their drinks about
five times a day were 70 percent more likely to contract the disease; and
those who consumed the popular Swedish sugary dessert known as creamed fruit
were at a 50 percent increased risk for the cancer, according to the results
published in the American Jounral of Clinical Nutrition.

"The researchers have now been able to show that the risk of developing
pancreatic cancer is related to the amount of sugar in the diet," said a
statement released by the institute.

"Despite the fact that the chances of developing pancreatic cancer are
relatively small, it's important to learn more about the risk factors behind
the disease," said researcher Susanna Larsson.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most deadly forms of the disease, and is
notoriously difficult to treat because it usually does not get diagnosed
until it has spread beyond the pancreas. About 216,000 new cases of the
cancer are diagnosed each year, mostly in developed countries and mostly in
people older than 60.

"It is perhaps the most serious form of cancer, with very poor prognoses for
its victims," Larsson said. "Since it's difficult to treat and is often
discovered too late, it's particularly important that we learn to prevent
it."

"Pancreatic cancer is just one more serious health danger that comes from
drinking soft drinks and sugar-laden beverages," said Mike Adams, a health
advocate and author of "The Five Soft Drink Monsters." "In both Europe and
the United States, these drinks are contributing, not only to cancer, but
also to the spreading obesity epidemic and the subsequent increase in type 2
diabetes cases.

"The path to true health does not include any refined sugars whatsoever,
least of all from 'sugar water' or sweetened juice drinks," he said.

Old November 10th 06, 05:20 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
Peter Bowditch

"Jan Drew" wrote:

http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer
(NewsTarget) On Wednesday, research was released from the Karolinska
Institute in Sweden that showed people who drink soft drinks or add sugar to
their coffee increase their risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

It's just as well that I switched over to aspartame when I was
diagnosed with diabetes, isn't it? My pancreas is in enough trouble
already.
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old November 10th 06, 12:50 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
Rod

"Peter Bowditch" wrote in message
"Jan Drew" wrote:

http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer
(NewsTarget) On Wednesday, research was released from the Karolinska
Institute in Sweden that showed people who drink soft drinks or add sugar
their coffee increase their risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

It's just as well that I switched over to aspartame when I was
diagnosed with diabetes, isn't it? My pancreas is in enough trouble
already.

Maybe you will be able to tell us all how effective your switch has been?
Like do you still have Diabetes? If so, what do you believe is the cause?

To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

Old November 10th 06, 01:55 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
cathyb

"Jan Drew" wrote:

http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer
(NewsTarget) On Wednesday, research was released from the Karolinska
Institute in Sweden that showed people who drink soft drinks or add sugar
their coffee increase their risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

It's just as well that I switched over to aspartame when I was
diagnosed with diabetes, isn't it? My pancreas is in enough trouble
already.

Maybe you will be able to tell us all how effective your switch has been?
Like do you still have Diabetes?

Startling. Rod thinks that diabetes is curable; he can safely be added
to the list of bizarros to be ignored.

To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

Old November 10th 06, 02:04 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
Rod

"cathyb" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Jan Drew" wrote:

http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer
(NewsTarget) On Wednesday, research was released from the Karolinska
Institute in Sweden that showed people who drink soft drinks or add
sugar
their coffee increase their risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

It's just as well that I switched over to aspartame when I was
diagnosed with diabetes, isn't it? My pancreas is in enough trouble
already.

Maybe you will be able to tell us all how effective your switch has
been?
Like do you still have Diabetes?

Startling. Rod thinks that diabetes is curable; he can safely be added
to the list of bizarros to be ignored.

My question was not directed at you.

And it hardly suggests that Diabetes is cureable.
Get real dimwit. and put yourself on your own list of of bizarros before you
add others.

To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

Old November 10th 06, 02:21 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
cathyb

Rod wrote:
"cathyb" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Jan Drew" wrote:

http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer
(NewsTarget) On Wednesday, research was released from the Karolinska
Institute in Sweden that showed people who drink soft drinks or add
sugar
their coffee increase their risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

It's just as well that I switched over to aspartame when I was
diagnosed with diabetes, isn't it? My pancreas is in enough trouble
already.

Maybe you will be able to tell us all how effective your switch has
been?
Like do you still have Diabetes?

Startling. Rod thinks that diabetes is curable; he can safely be added
to the list of bizarros to be ignored.

My question was not directed at you.

Oo-er. Still not got the hang of usenet?

And it hardly suggests that Diabetes is cureable.

Did you not understand what you wrote? Asking if someone still has
diabetes following a change in diet certainly does suggest that you
think it's curable.

Get real dimwit. and put yourself on your own list of of bizarros before you
add others.

Please learn the proper use of full stops and capital letters; it makes
you look something of a dimwit whan you misuse them.

To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

Old November 10th 06, 03:31 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
vernon

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
t...
http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer

ALL cancer has a link (high or low) to sugar intake.
ALL cancer.

Old November 10th 06, 04:13 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
Bozz

"Vernon" anere@anhere wrote in message
m...

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
t...
http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer

ALL cancer has a link (high or low) to sugar intake.
ALL cancer.

People who breathe get it a lot as well, ALL people who breathe!

Ian

Old November 10th 06, 09:17 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
vernon

"Bozz" wrote in message
"Vernon" anere@anhere wrote in message
m...

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
t...
http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer

ALL cancer has a link (high or low) to sugar intake.
ALL cancer.

People who breathe get it a lot as well, ALL people who breathe!

Ian

May you get what you deserve.
FYI PET scans use al manner of methods to detect "sugar" concentrations.

Old November 11th 06, 12:24 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,misc.kids.health
Peter Bowditch

"Rod" wrote:

"Peter Bowditch" wrote in message
.. .
"Jan Drew" wrote:

http://www.newstarget.com/z021031.html

Originally published November 9 2006
Soda warning: High sugar intake linked to pancreatic cancer
(NewsTarget) On Wednesday, research was released from the Karolinska
Institute in Sweden that showed people who drink soft drinks or add sugar
their coffee increase their risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

It's just as well that I switched over to aspartame when I was
diagnosed with diabetes, isn't it? My pancreas is in enough trouble
already.

Maybe you will be able to tell us all how effective your switch has been?
Like do you still have Diabetes? If so, what do you believe is the cause?

I will have diabetes until I die. There is no cure. I do have it under
reasonably good control, though, which I achieved by changing my diet,
getting more exercise, and using medication )which I might not have to
take forever). If I stop the metformin and go back to eating twice as
much food as I need I will be back to where I was in a very short
time.

Nobody knows the cause, but, like many things, it appears to be a
combination of genetics and environment. It is not caused by obesity
(my spare tyre was a result of insulin resistance, not a cause), it is
not caused by lethargy, it is not caused by eating sugar. Finding a
cause will take the search for a cure a long way forward.

You suffer from a chronic incurable disease, so you should understand
that even if all the signs and symptoms are controlled the disease is
still there. Diabetes is no different. If I went a month without my
blood glucose level ever rising above 5mmol/l at any time I would be
ecstatic. But I wouldn't be cured.
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com