Epi-No

Old April 26th 04, 04:23 PM
Bryna729

Default Epi-No

Has anyone heard of a device called the "Epi-no"? It is supposed to stretch
the perineum so one is less likely to need an episiotomy or to tear. My
sister's OB is trying to convince her she needs one, but it kinds of sounds
suspicious to me. I had always thought that it's more important to provide
compresses and stretching *during* labor to prevent tearing. The Epi-No isn't
cheap, either.

TIA!

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3
& Temima, 1
Old April 26th 04, 05:13 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Bryna729 wrote:

Has anyone heard of a device called the "Epi-no"? It is supposed to stretch
the perineum so one is less likely to need an episiotomy or to tear. My
sister's OB is trying to convince her she needs one, but it kinds of sounds
suspicious to me. I had always thought that it's more important to provide
compresses and stretching *during* labor to prevent tearing. The Epi-No isn't
cheap, either.

Sounds like it might be much the same as perineal
massage, and research on the effectiveness of perineal
massage is mixed. Personally, I think the biggest factor
in whether you get an episiotomy or not is caregiver
beliefs ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 26th 04, 10:21 PM
Bryna729

Sounds like it might be much the same as perineal
massage, and research on the effectiveness of perineal
massage is mixed. Personally, I think the biggest factor
in whether you get an episiotomy or not is caregiver
beliefs ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

I know, and I think my sister's OB does lots of episiotomies, so I don't have
much hope for her avoiding one. Darn it, I *told* her to go with a midwife!
Little sisters, they never listen. Thanks for responding.

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3
& Temima, 1
Old April 27th 04, 12:52 AM
Leanne

Has anyone heard of a device called the "Epi-no"? It is supposed to

stretch
the perineum so one is less likely to need an episiotomy or to tear. My
sister's OB is trying to convince her she needs one, but it kinds of

sounds
suspicious to me. I had always thought that it's more important to

provide
compresses and stretching *during* labor to prevent tearing. The Epi-No

isn't
cheap, either.

I've heard of it, lots of advertisements in the mags... apparently it is
medically proven though... so take your pick

Old April 27th 04, 01:13 AM
melbgal1

Leanne says...

Has anyone heard of a device called the "Epi-no"? It is supposed to

stretch
the perineum so one is less likely to need an episiotomy or to tear. My
sister's OB is trying to convince her she needs one, but it kinds of

sounds
suspicious to me. I had always thought that it's more important to

provide
compresses and stretching *during* labor to prevent tearing. The Epi-No

isn't
cheap, either.

I've heard of it, lots of advertisements in the mags... apparently it is
medically proven though... so take your pick

i'd prefer not to tear ( let me tell you ! (( )

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004
Old April 27th 04, 01:59 AM
Bryna729

Just say no. "You do not have my consent to perform an episiotomy." Have
her
sign it and give it to her OB. End of story.

Richard
Micaela's dad

I have told her she does not have to consent to any medical procedure, and that
she should always ask why the doctor is recommending it, but practically
speaking I know she's not going to be able to do that. She's young and
nervous, it's her first baby, and she's afraid of conflict with the doctor.
Sigh. I *am* trying to find her a doula, at least. She is really going to
need someone to keep her calm.

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3
& Temima, 1
Old April 27th 04, 02:04 AM
Bryna729

I've heard of it, lots of advertisements in the mags... apparently it is
medically proven though... so take your pick

Thanks, I haven't seen any ads for it around here, so maybe it just hasn't made
it over here yet.

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3
& Temima, 1
Old April 27th 04, 02:05 AM
Bryna729

i'd prefer not to tear ( let me tell you ! (( )

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004

True, true! Although I'd rather tear than get an episiotomy (I've done both
and there's no comparison IME!)

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3
& Temima, 1
Old April 27th 04, 02:08 AM
Bryna729

i'd prefer not to tear ( let me tell you ! (( )

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004

Duh, just realized that you're speaking from recent experience --
congratulations! Hope the stitches feel better soon.

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3
& Temima, 1
Old April 27th 04, 11:51 AM
Tatjana Farkin

It's a German (or Austrian) invention, I think, and was heavily promoted
here a while ago. It then seemed like each and every midwife was in
favour of them and recommended them.
I haven't seen much talk about them recently any more.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for close to 3 years