high fever after 15-month vaccines (x-posted)

Old February 17th 04, 06:42 PM
VirginiaGirl

Default high fever after 15-month vaccines (x-posted)

Hi all,

My daughter had her 15-month WBV yesterday morning. While there, she
received three vaccines -- DtaP, MMP, and Haemophilius Influenza. At the
office, before the vaccines, she had no fever (although the evening before
she had been a bit fussy and had a temperature af a little over a hundred.)
When I brought her home from the doctor's office, she was a little fussy, so
I gave her some tylenol and put her down for a nap. When she woke up about
2 hours later, she felt very hot and had a temperature of 103 (after
tylenol, remember). No apparent discomfort or other symptoms. I called the
pediatrician, who said to try Motrin as well. When asked, the nurse said
that although it could possibly be the vaccine causing the fever, the baby
might also be getting a bug of some sort.

I tried the Motrin, which brought her fever down to about 101.5. Today she
still has the fever -- it is going from around 103.5 to as low as 100.5
(with medication). Other than being a bit more subdued than usual, she
shows no other symptoms. Her appetite is good, she's relatively active, no
crying or apparant pain, etc. Perhaps a touch more irritable than usual,
but nothing striking.

Is this likely a complication of the vaccines? If so, how long might it
last? Could this cause some sort of permanent problem? Googling these
vaccines turned up all sort of stuff that scared the wits out of me.... I
was actually up last night worried about this. Now I'm hoping someone here
can tell me if this is a normal reaction to the vaccines or not.

Thanks in advance,

VG

Old February 17th 04, 07:09 PM
Dagny

"VirginiaGirl" wrote in message
[...]

My personal preference for my child is to let her immune system work as
intended and let fevers run -- you are not describing a dangerously high
fever.

I believe vaccines can and do cause fevers. I also would not give a child
who was not 100% healthy a vaccine although I know doctors screw that up all
the time. Sounds like she was coming down with something before the jab and
just had a typical morning fever remission.

Your daughter is probably going to be 100% fine but if this happened to me I
would discontinue the fever reducers and let her body fight the bug off as
well as mount her appropriate immune response to the vaccines (which is the
whole point of vaccinating). Moderate fever is healthy and functional even
though it is uncomfortable.

YMMV

-- Dagny

Old February 18th 04, 04:39 AM
Daye

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:42:25 -0500, "VirginiaGirl"
wrote:

Is this likely a complication of the vaccines?

The MMR is likely the cause of the fever, esp if the child has had the
other 2 vaccines with no issues.

I would continue giving the Tylenol and giving the baby cool (not
cold) baths to help bring the fever down. If it gets much higher, I
would take him to the doctor's ASAP.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old February 18th 04, 03:09 PM
Lucy

wrote:

Is this likely a complication of the vaccines?

The MMR is likely the cause of the fever, esp if the child has had the
other 2 vaccines with no issues.

I would continue giving the Tylenol and giving the baby cool (not
cold) baths to help bring the fever down. If it gets much higher, I
would take him to the doctor's ASAP.

Hmm. I was thinking the MMR was probably not the cause of the fever. When my
DD had hers, the doctor told me to watch for reactions in about a week's
time. Since the injected viruses are live, the side effects take longer to
manifest.

DTaP, OTOH, even if there's been no side effects with previous shots of it,
the likelihood increases with each dose, so it could possible be the cause.

Although, in this case, since the child had a fever the night before the
vaccinations, there was probably something present before the shots were
even given.

Lucy