high fever

Old June 13th 04, 06:45 PM
Dayge

Default high fever

I'm looking for information on high fevers without any other symptoms for
children under 5. I've searched on Google but can't find much. Anyone know
of any websites/books/etc. that might be helpful?

In the past, the doc has said it's normal for a child who's just begun
preschool (6 months ago) to become sick more often than usual as he/she is
exposed to all different kinds of nastiness that he/she hadn't been before.
While that sounded reasonable to me given the fact that all symptoms pointed
to either the common cold or flu bug, this time is a little more weird (at
least to me) and has me concerned.

I've spent the majority of this weekend caring for my 4-year old who has had
a very high fever (100-103) but no other symptoms (no
sniffing/coughing/etc.), which is a first. Fever seems to respond to
motrin/tylenol but only seems to be fluctuating and isn't really going away.
In fact, most of yesterday, all night last night and this morning has been
spent on the couch with the child as the only thing I seem to be able to
offer is a minimal amount of comfort (by allowing myself to be used as a
"human bed") & trying to keep up with hydration as much as possible. The
onset of the fever was very sudden too.

I'm just wondering if a high fever without any other associated symptoms is
something that is "normal" sometimes and therefore I should just leave it to
work itself out or if I should take the child in for a re-evaluation.
Anyone else encountered this before?

I'd appreciate any insights/information. Thanks.

--
Dayge

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
Dr. Seuss (1904-1991)

Old June 13th 04, 07:09 PM
Leigh Menconi

"Dayge" wrote in message
[...]

When my kids have had sudden, high fevers they're usually without any other
symptoms except extreme tiredness. It usually lasts 2-3 days and then goes
away as suddenly as it came on. Sometimes there's a headache involved, too,
but that seems to be more due to the dehydration. Popsicles are good to
help keep them hydrated, especially this time of year.

Leigh

Old June 13th 04, 07:31 PM
sue

High fever with no upper respiratory symptoms could very well be strep.
My daughter and son both got strep this year, and the symptoms were
either high fever with nothing, or high fever with vomiting. The sore
throat often comes later.

Old June 13th 04, 07:37 PM
Sue

Dayge wrote in message
I'm looking for information on high fevers without any other symptoms for
children under 5.

I've spent the majority of this weekend caring for my 4-year old who has

had
a very high fever (100-103) but no other symptoms (no
sniffing/coughing/etc.), which is a first.

For one thing, that isn't such a high fever. Don't go by what the fever
actually is, but go by behavior. Is he is good spirits, able to play and is
he eating and drinking? The fever in itself means that it is trying to fight
an infection somewhere in his body. There have been some viruses to go
around here, with only a fever and it goes as quickly as they come. Has he
had a cold that could have turned to an ear infection? There doesn't
necessairly have to be any pain associated with an ear infection, as one of
my daughters never had any pain.

I'm just wondering if a high fever without any other associated symptoms

is
something that is "normal" sometimes and therefore I should just leave it

work itself out or if I should take the child in for a re-evaluation.
Anyone else encountered this before?

I would just leave it to work itself out unless your son shows more
symptoms. If he is at all miserable with the fever, then go ahead and give
him some Tylenol or Motrin. Although, there is something to be said for not
treating the fever and letting it do its job. If he becomes listless or
unusally tired or not acting right or himself, then I would do more, but
with just the fever, I wouldn't do anything.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 13th 04, 08:21 PM
Clisby

Dayge wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't call 100-103 a very high fever for a 4-year-old; but
regardless of that, yes, my kids have had this happen on occasion. If
there is no other symptom, I give them ibuprofen and/or acetominophen
and plenty of water to drink, and see if they're better in a couple of days.

Clisby

Old June 13th 04, 08:35 PM
Tori M.

a very high fever (100-103) but no other symptoms (no
sniffing/coughing/etc.), which is a first.

For one thing, that isn't such a high fever. Don't go by what the fever
actually is, but go by behavior. Is he is good spirits, able to play and

is

It depends I tend to run a temp of about 75-80 normal if I hit 100 I am
REALLY ill. If I hit 98 I feel awful. My school had a blank no going home
until you hit 100deg rule and I would have to sit it out just because they
would not call home at a temp that for me is too high. Unless you do not
have insurance or the co-pay is too high it could not hurt to have a simple
blood test to see if you are making more white blood cells then normal. In
my CNA classes that I took any temp over 100 was enough to tell the Dr about
and that was for a normal 98.6.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 13th 04, 08:43 PM
Sue

Tori M. wrote in message
It depends I tend to run a temp of about 75-80 normal if I hit 100 I am
REALLY ill. If I hit 98 I feel awful.

As I said, it's not how high the fever is, but how you feel. If you felt
horrible at 100 then it should be looked at.

In my CNA classes that I took any temp over 100 was enough to tell the Dr
about and that was for a normal 98.6.

None of our doctors want to know about a fever at 100, even Allison's
transplant doctors. They would laugh us out of the doctor's office,
especially if the child was not exhibiting any other symptoms. A fever of
100 is considered a low grade temp and does not warrant a trip to the doctor
or even a call unless the child was really exhibiting signs of being in
trouble.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 13th 04, 10:46 PM
Clisby

Sue wrote:

None of our doctors want to know about a fever at 100, even Allison's
transplant doctors. They would laugh us out of the doctor's office,
especially if the child was not exhibiting any other symptoms. A fever of
100 is considered a low grade temp and does not warrant a trip to the doctor
or even a call unless the child was really exhibiting signs of being in
trouble.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

That's been my experience, too, assuming the child has no other
symptoms. Even when my 1-year-old son ran a fever of 104 for 3 days,
the nurse recommended bringing him in only because it was a Friday
morning and she figured we didn't want to risk ending up in the ER over
a weekend if he didn't get better. Good thing, because it turned out
his ears were infected - but they weren't overly concerned about a child
with a 104-degree fever. (That didn't surprise me - I wouldn't be
overly concerned if *I* had a 104-degree fever, but I tend to run kind
of high temperatures.)

Clisby

Old June 13th 04, 11:10 PM
Dally

Dayge wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry your kid is ill, I know this must be worrisome, but here's my
suggestion.

Leave the fever untreated. A fever is a natural response to some bug
the kid is fighting. By trying to reduce the fever you're countering
the kid's ability to stave off the infection or whatever. Fevers are
normal, and natural.

And 100 to 103 is NOT a high fever. In fact, I'd expect a little kid to
have a fever that went as high as 104 at night (when fevers seem to peak.)

If the fever goes into the 104-106 range I stick the kid in the bathtub
and give tylenol, but mostly a fever in the 100-103 range means the kid
is feeling off, maybe even crappy, but isn't truly all that ill.

In fact, most of yesterday, all night last night and this morning has been
spent on the couch with the child as the only thing I seem to be able to
offer is a minimal amount of comfort (by allowing myself to be used as a
"human bed") & trying to keep up with hydration as much as possible. The
onset of the fever was very sudden too.

Rest, fluids and wait it out is all you can (or should) do.

I'm just wondering if a high fever without any other associated symptoms is
something that is "normal" sometimes and therefore I should just leave it to
work itself out or if I should take the child in for a re-evaluation.
Anyone else encountered this before?

Yes, all the time. It's normal. Pay attention to your kid: if they
seem to be getting dehydrated or start acting OFF then do something.

I'd appreciate any insights/information. Thanks.

Two year ago my three year old got peritonitis. He didn't even have a
fever! But he acted like he was in pain when I jostled him as I held
him, and he was acting so off that I just knew something was terribly
wrong. My experience (I'm now up to 30 years aggragated of parenting)
is that fevers come and go and I ignore them. I pay attention to the kid.

Dally

Old June 13th 04, 11:54 PM
Tori M.

"Sue" wrote in message
Tori M. wrote in message
It depends I tend to run a temp of about 75-80 normal if I hit 100 I am
REALLY ill. If I hit 98 I feel awful.

As I said, it's not how high the fever is, but how you feel. If you felt
horrible at 100 then it should be looked at.

In my CNA classes that I took any temp over 100 was enough to tell the Dr
about and that was for a normal 98.6.

None of our doctors want to know about a fever at 100, even Allison's
transplant doctors. They would laugh us out of the doctor's office,
especially if the child was not exhibiting any other symptoms. A fever of
100 is considered a low grade temp and does not warrant a trip to the

doctor
or even a call unless the child was really exhibiting signs of being in
trouble.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

I understood that but there are things that you could feel ok while having.
For instance bladder infections do not always have pain associated with them
and that is why I have to get screened for it every 3 months at the WIC
office even if I have no symptoms. I would call about a fever if it lasted
more then a day or 2 even without symptoms because I know the Dr. can do a
simple blood test and find out what my white blood count is.

Tori

Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04