Dairy Free Diet ??

Old February 20th 04, 02:14 PM
Hip Mama

Default Dairy Free Diet ??

My Daughter has been prescribed by her pediatric GI a dairy free diet.
As I'm pouring over the information ... I have to admit I'm more than just a
little overwhelmed. We will be meeting w/ a dietitian in about 6 wks but
need to start the dairy free diet now.
I'm wondering if there are any other parents here who have a child that has
to be dairy free. This is not just lactose intolerance (that would be me)
but a 100% complete dairy free diet.
I'm wondering how to deal w/ snack time at preschool as well. Parents bring
the snacks. And from what I have seen to request that the snacks be dairy
free would be a huge request. I know I can send her w/ her own snack every
day ... but I don't want her to feel left out
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
~Kat

Old February 20th 04, 02:44 PM
Hillary Israeli

http://www.panix.com/~nomilk/

Old February 20th 04, 04:33 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Do you have web access? My web site has all the information you need to
get started. You'll also want to join the no-milk listserv (directions
are on my web site) and ask the same question there.

In short ... if you make your own food, milk-free is EASY. If you eat
processed foods, like cookies and snacks, milk-free is more complicated,
but still doable.

Teach your child to:

....enjoy a different calcium-enriched liquid in her breakfast cereal. My
kids like juices. Some kids prefer enriched rice-milk or soy-milk.

....snack on milk-free cookies or pop-tarts (Kellog brand only).

....skip butter and cream cheese on her toast. Go for jam or
peanut-butter instead. If necessary, Benecol or Fleischmann's UNSALTED
margerine are okay, and the marge is good in cooking as well.

.... think about other protein sources, such as chicken, fish, beef,
pork. When ground up, even toddlers can manage all of these.

Find a milk-free calcium supplement (chewable) that your child is
willing to eat. Try Trader Joe's or your local health food store. Read
the label CAREFULLY.

Talk to the nursery school about snacks. There are MANY milk-free
snacks that the whole class will enjoy: fruit, pretzels, some kinds of
crackers/cookies ... Even if you have to provide a special one several
days a week, the whole class should be able to have the same snack
frequently as well.

McDonald's Happy Meals (not cheeseburgers, of course) are a great
milk-free treat.

I don't know if your daughter has a severe allergy, because if she does
you'll have the additional worry of cross-contamination. Ask about that
on the no-milk listserv.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old February 20th 04, 05:18 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Beth Kevles wrote:

Do you have web access? My web site has all the information you need to
get started. You'll also want to join the no-milk listserv (directions
are on my web site) and ask the same question there.

I'll second both of those suggestions. I've been on strict dairy-free
diets while breastfeeding two of my children.

Teach your child to:

...enjoy a different calcium-enriched liquid in her breakfast cereal. My
kids like juices. Some kids prefer enriched rice-milk or soy-milk.

For me as an adult, this never worked out. I ended up eating a
dairy-free flavored oatmeal for breakfast instead. They have a calcium
enriched version "for women" these days, though I'm not sure if it's
dairy-free.

Talk to the nursery school about snacks. There are MANY milk-free
snacks that the whole class will enjoy: fruit, pretzels, some kinds of
crackers/cookies ... Even if you have to provide a special one several
days a week, the whole class should be able to have the same snack
frequently as well.

Yes, I agree. If you can make a list of brands of snacks that are
acceptable, I think you'll find that many parents will be willing to
bring something on that list. Also, if you can leave several safe
alternatives at school, then your child will be able to have something
as similar as possible to what everyone else is having most of the
time.

Good luck!
--Robyn

Old February 20th 04, 06:38 PM
H Schinske

Kat ) wrote:

I'm wondering how to deal w/ snack time at preschool as well. Parents bring
the snacks. And from what I have seen to request that the snacks be dairy
free would be a huge request.

It does often happen, though. I have many times seen signs up at daycares and
preschools saying that there is an allergic child and that snacks must not have
dairy, or peanuts, or whatever. I think at my daughter's preschool there was a
child with multiple allergies who brought her own snacks, and there was a sign
up saying something like "Remember Jane cannot have milk, fish, eggs,
chocolate, peanuts ..." so that the teachers would remember to monitor her
eating. And at my son's preschool, both his teachers expressed relief that
"this year" there were no children with allergies, because usually there were
some.

--Helen
Old February 21st 04, 06:19 AM
George Orwell

"Hip Mama" posted:

My Daughter has been prescribed by her pediatric GI a dairy free diet.
As I'm pouring over the information

You're not pouring, you're poring. She's not your Daughter, she's your
daughter. Your child is doomed to be a cretin like its mother.

Old February 21st 04, 03:37 PM
Hip Mama

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

Do you have web access? My web site has all the information you need to
get started. You'll also want to join the no-milk listserv (directions
are on my web site) and ask the same question there.

What a great site! Thank you! You have given me hope

In short ... if you make your own food, milk-free is EASY. If you eat
processed foods, like cookies and snacks, milk-free is more complicated,
but still doable.

Teach your child to:

...enjoy a different calcium-enriched liquid in her breakfast cereal. My
kids like juices. Some kids prefer enriched rice-milk or soy-milk.

My DD seems to like soy milk so that's good ... we also tryed soy yogurt,
she isn't crazy about it, but I think she will get used to it over time.

...snack on milk-free cookies or pop-tarts (Kellog brand only).

...skip butter and cream cheese on her toast. Go for jam or
peanut-butter instead. If necessary, Benecol or Fleischmann's UNSALTED
margerine are okay, and the marge is good in cooking as well.

... think about other protein sources, such as chicken, fish, beef,
pork. When ground up, even toddlers can manage all of these.

Find a milk-free calcium supplement (chewable) that your child is
willing to eat. Try Trader Joe's or your local health food store. Read
the label CAREFULLY.

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday ... I'm very glad one was just built here a
few months ago!

Talk to the nursery school about snacks. There are MANY milk-free
snacks that the whole class will enjoy: fruit, pretzels, some kinds of
crackers/cookies ... Even if you have to provide a special one several
days a week, the whole class should be able to have the same snack
frequently as well.

McDonald's Happy Meals (not cheeseburgers, of course) are a great
milk-free treat.

We don't do fast food often, but it's good to know that we can.

I don't know if your daughter has a severe allergy, because if she does
you'll have the additional worry of cross-contamination. Ask about that
on the no-milk listserv.

It's an allergy.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic

like me to reply.

Old February 21st 04, 03:45 PM
Elana Kehoe

Hip Mama wrote:

It's an allergy.

Sign up on the Parents of Food Allergic Kids mailing list. A couple of
us on here are on it. It's at Yahoo Groups. Might take a little while
before you actually get on it, but it's an amazing resource.

I have it read on the web only, since it's a high volume mailing list.
I'm talking 150+ emails a day.

On Beth's site there's a link (somewhere...) to a page that talks about
what milk products are also named in processed foods. Like in breads...
I can't remember where it was (foodallergy.org?), but it was invaluable.
--
"In Finnegans Wake, he just made up words.
Now that's just not sporting!"

FREE GAME FREDDY RESCUE ROUNDUP + 40 MORE GAMES 2002-10-29 IBMFREDDYS General 0 October 29th 03 03:37 PM
Stop killing Innocent Puppies! (Petition) The Puppy Wizard General 0 October 10th 03 06:59 PM
Free Fall Online Creative Lesson Planning Newsletters AMONCO General 0 September 24th 03 02:11 AM
Food allergy ideas? toto General 20 September 13th 03 11:03 PM
Earn $500 to $700 per Week Downloading FREE Software Cash Cow General 0 August 16th 03 03:22 AM