Opinions on induction??

Old March 25th 04, 09:18 PM
Rupert

Default Opinions on induction??

"Jill" wrote in message . com...
I highly doubt I'd agree to an induction without a very darn good reason,
but I have been wondering "what if", if the doctors offer me an induction
because they think the baby is big. First of all, I would never consider an
induction based on size if I wasn't near my due date anyway. I feel that the
baby needs to stay put as long as possible, so I would not agree to a
big-baby induction at less than maybe 38-39 weeks. Also I KNOW guesstimates
as to size and u/s are inaccurate late in the game. So I wouldn't
necessarily be in a hurry to induce anyway just because they SAY the baby is
big.

Many people on this board are very much anti-intervention when it
comes to birth, but when you've been having contractions for 48 hours,
and they're hard enough to cause pain but too mild to cause dilation,
you'll practically beg for induction. Its not a bad thing... IMHO with
modern medicine there is no need to suffer horribly during birth--
yeah, its going to hurt no matter what, but if you've been in labor
for many hours without progress induction is great-- imagine waiting
it out, say for 72 hours with no sleep, but waiting still because you
don't want to induce. Then on the 73rd hour (with no sleep) you are
expected to push....
Old March 25th 04, 09:33 PM
JennP

"Rupert" wrote in message
om...

Many people on this board are very much anti-intervention when it
comes to birth, but when you've been having contractions for 48 hours,
and they're hard enough to cause pain but too mild to cause dilation,
you'll practically beg for induction. Its not a bad thing...

But chances are, if you have been having contractions for 48 hours then you
are very close to active labor and I'd bet your cervix is ripe. It's when
you pick a date on the calendar and from ground zero where you can really
run into trouble.
--
JennP.

"I base my fashion on what doesn't itch" Gilda Radner

Old March 25th 04, 10:31 PM
Ilse Witch

Jill, this is really your decision to make. It sounds like you are
seriously considering this, so I would urge you to do your own research on
this. Go find websites that quote statistics on c-sections for early
inductions, complications with induced versus natural birth, other
potential problems that could arise that wouldn't arise otherwise. Also
look into stats concerning births of large babies. Then, when the dr
offers you an induction, you have at least thought it through and you can
make a well balanced decision. If not, you may regret it at a later time,
and then there is no turning back.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (20m)

Old March 25th 04, 10:39 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

What bothers me, if I didn't read here, doctors don't tell you this type of
thing! I actually think a lot of people choose or agree to induction because
their doctor says "sure, why not?"...scary.

Yep, that's the dirty little secret. There are inductions
that go well, of course, but people tend to dismiss the problems.
There's a lot of justification going on. If there's fetal distress,
they'll say, "Oh, thank goodness we induced when we did!" If you
end up with a c-section for failure to progress "Well, at least we
induced before the baby got even *bigger*." Of course, people tend
not to think of additional pain or inconvenience as significant,
because all that matters is the health of the baby, right? It
all becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. As an example, I know
someone who elected to be induced on her due date (because she
was tired of being pregnant), nevermind that even though an
early u/s said her due date should have been later, they never
changed it (so she was really being induced before her due date).
The induction was long and hard and her husband said it was a
horror show. She ended up with a baby in the NICU (suspected
oxygen deprivation, though fortunately she was fine) and a 4th
degree tear from the aggressive instrumental delivery necessary
to get the baby out quickly when she started to go into distress.
This person not only makes *no* connection between the early
induction and all the problems that happened to her, she actually
agreed to an induction for her next baby! Her view is thank
goodness the doctors and hospital were so "good" given that she
had all those troubles.

But, also, I don't know why so
many people in my husband's family had them-- I didn't even realize they did
inductions 30 years ago. I have talked to one other person recently who had
an induction just because she wanted it with her second baby, and she seemed
to think it was an ok experience.. not worth the possibility of a horrible
experience IMO!

The rate of inductions is *skyrocketing* lately. IIRC,
national figures are somewhere around 40 percent of labors.

From reading here I think I am more inclined to agree to a natural
childbirth with no meds than an induction. Also, I'm phobic of abdominal
surgery so don't want to risk doing anything to cause myself to need a
C-section. I could handle one if necessary, but then after that I would
still always want a VBAC if possible, that's how much I hate abdominal
surgery, no matter how minor.

And the odds of being able to have a VBAC are
dropping like a rock, too. Your best option is to avoid
the c-section in the first place, if at all possible.
(Obviously, it's not always possible to avoid c-sections,
and sometimes they're lifesaving, but you certainly don't
need to do *optional* things that increase the risk of one.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 25th 04, 10:54 PM
Angela Schepers

My mother was induced when she was pregnant with my older brother in
1973 because the doctor had scheduled a Hawaii vacation over her due
date and didn't want my mother to go into labor while he was gone. Of
course my mother consented and both she and my brother were fine but she
had nearly 30 stitches from an episiotomy. I guess doctors can't get
away with this anymore, lol.

H Schinske wrote:
wrote:

Many people on this board are very much anti-intervention when it
comes to birth, but when you've been having contractions for 48 hours,
and they're hard enough to cause pain but too mild to cause dilation,
you'll practically beg for induction.

That would be more augmentation than induction, though, wouldn't it?

--Helen

Old March 25th 04, 11:17 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Angela Schepers wrote:

My mother was induced when she was pregnant with my older brother in
1973 because the doctor had scheduled a Hawaii vacation over her due
date and didn't want my mother to go into labor while he was gone. Of
course my mother consented and both she and my brother were fine but she
had nearly 30 stitches from an episiotomy. I guess doctors can't get
away with this anymore, lol.

What makes you think they can't get away with it?
The rate of inductions is skyrocketing, including the
rate for convenience inductions. There are significant
numbers of people in the medical community who argue that
convenience inductions are no problem whatsoever and
should be offered to any woman who wants them.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 26th 04, 09:35 AM
Anne Rogers

Many people on this board are very much anti-intervention when it
comes to birth, but when you've been having contractions for 48 hours,
and they're hard enough to cause pain but too mild to cause dilation,
you'll practically beg for induction. Its not a bad thing... IMHO with
modern medicine there is no need to suffer horribly during birth--
yeah, its going to hurt no matter what, but if you've been in labor
for many hours without progress induction is great-- imagine waiting
it out, say for 72 hours with no sleep, but waiting still because you
don't want to induce. Then on the 73rd hour (with no sleep) you are
expected to push....

been there, done that, thankfully the contractions also managed to break
my water, so induction was indicated, no one told me my bishops score, but
I looked it up online and it was very favourable, I was only just past 37
weeks and my cervix was soft, almost fully effaced and very slightly
dilated, induction was successful in that I delivered with no assistance,
but I wouldn't do it again.
Old March 26th 04, 09:36 AM
Anne Rogers

Many people on this board are very much anti-intervention when it
comes to birth, but when you've been having contractions for 48 hours,
and they're hard enough to cause pain but too mild to cause dilation,
you'll practically beg for induction.

That would be more augmentation than induction, though, wouldn't it?

here, if you are less than 3cm dilated then it would be considered an
induction, plus having been there I know what I was experiencing wasn't
active labour, just prodomal labour.