length of labour

Old December 10th 04, 02:48 PM
Zoe Brown

You are correct, perhaps I missed some signs. I may have missed the
loss
of
the mucus plug, and I did have back ache. In any case Naomi was 7lbs

and
apparently 5 weeks early, but I didn't know my dates and she was dated

by
the first scan which was not until about 26weeks.

dating is very inaccurate at 26 weeks, I suspect she was early, but maybe

2
or 3 weeks not 5

I agree, she was a good weight so it is unlikely that she was 5 weeks early.
but the doctors are the experts and they did beleive this to be the case at
the time.

but in any case early or not it did only take 2 hours. I am worried that
this one will be equally as quick. It was such a shock to me last time.

Old December 10th 04, 03:20 PM
Zoe Brown

but in any case early or not it did only take 2 hours. I am worried

that
this one will be equally as quick. It was such a shock to me last time.

Short labors can be very shocking. You might consider planning
a homebirth. That way, you'll be prepared and will have supplies on
hand and won't risk having the baby in the car on the way to the
hospital. If the baby comes early, you might end up with an
unattended birth, but it'll be a much better prepared unattended
birth than if you end up with an accidental unattended birth when
you were planning a hospital birth. If you chose midwives who
are nearby you might also increase the odds that they will get
to you in time over the odds that you'll make it to the hospital
in time. Plus, if you're going to have a fast labor, why go
through all the hospital crap? It's much nicer to snuggle back
in your own bed when it's all said and done. With my second,
my membranes ruptured at midnight and I was back in bed snuggling
my baby (after a bath and everything) by 3am.

Sounds perfect but I suppose I just wont know until it happens. My midwife
seems a bit uninterested in my worries about a quick birth. The hospital is
only 10 mins away and my partner only works 10 mins away from the house so
If I think I need to get there it will only take 30 mins at most. I guess I
just need to be prepare. I want my partner to be prepared to assist if he
needs too...

Old December 10th 04, 05:08 PM
Anne Rogers

Short labors can be very shocking. You might consider planning
a homebirth. That way, you'll be prepared and will have supplies on
hand and won't risk having the baby in the car on the way to the
hospital. If the baby comes early, you might end up with an
unattended birth, but it'll be a much better prepared unattended
birth than if you end up with an accidental unattended birth when
you were planning a hospital birth. If you chose midwives who
are nearby you might also increase the odds that they will get
to you in time over the odds that you'll make it to the hospital
in time. Plus, if you're going to have a fast labor, why go
through all the hospital crap? It's much nicer to snuggle back
in your own bed when it's all said and done. With my second,
my membranes ruptured at midnight and I was back in bed snuggling
my baby (after a bath and everything) by 3am.

sounds very nice, on my discharge from hospital after number 1 I was told
because of the speed of my labour I should consider a home birth, which we
are planning (we had planned that with number 1 anyway), we're in an urban
area, so a midwife can get here pretty fast, traffic permitting, but unless
they've been roped into a shift at the hospital they shouldn't be further
than 2 miles away

Old December 11th 04, 09:40 AM
Mum of Two

"Zoe Brown" wrote in message
All

Hello, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant.

I have a 13 year old daughter who was born a few weeks early and only
after
a 2 hour delivery. I was 16 at the time of her birth. I know that we
don't
know the actual answer to these things but given that this is my second
pregnancy and is 14 years later is it likely that this delivery will be
quicker that two hours ???

I am hoping...

Why would you want a quicker labour than that? My labours were considered
longer than yours, and I still consider mine quick.
Do you live nextdoor to the hospital? ;-)

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,