DCF cancels university contracts, will seek new proposals

Old August 5th 04, 04:04 PM
wexwimpy

Default DCF cancels university contracts, will seek new proposals

DCF cancels university contracts, will seek new proposals

BRENDAN FARRINGTON Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Department of Children & Families told three
universities Wednesday it is canceling training contracts, saying a
review indicates final agreements were too different than the original
proposals sought by the agency.

The three schools - Florida International University, University of
South Florida and University of Central Florida - will keep training
child protection workers under emergency contracts until the original
proposal can be rewritten and awarded again, said Bob Fagin, DCF
assistant secretary for administration.

The schools will also be paid a total of $438,000 for work they began
under the agreements being thrown out. The schools began training and
curriculum development programs, but were not getting paid because the
contracts were never signed.

The problem largely arose because the training began as Gov. Jeb
Bush's chief inspector general was investigating allegations that DCF
officials had become too cozy with vendors. A final report showed top
employees gave the appearance of impropriety in dealing with
contractors.

Deputy Secretary Ben Harris and Information Technology Director Glenn
Palmiere resigned last week after the report found they took gifts and
trips from companies contracting with DCF.

The report also found that DCF Secretary Jerry Regier and other DCF
officials attended a birthday party for Regier that was hosted by a
personal friend of the secretary, Jim Bax, who was director of the
Florida State University Institute for Health and Human Services
Research. The institute at the time had nearly $2 million in contract
work from DCF. On another occasion Regier and his wife stayed
overnight at Bax's Longboat Key beach home.

In response, Regier called for a review of DCF contracts to ensure
they were properly awarded.

In this case, Fagin said DCF originally requested proposals for a
statewide training program, but instead awarded contracts to provide
training for people to work in certain regions. He said the final
agreement differed enough from the original request to warrant the
contracts be thrown out.

"None of what we are doing today in any way reflects adversely on the
universities," Fagin said. "They have been great partners, they have
carried a lot of water for us. To date they've been putting out their
own money, for which we are apologetic. That's why we want to get them
their money as soon as possible."

DCF also plans to immediately end the curriculum development portion
of the contract and instead will seek to adapt a curriculum program
provided by the federal Agency for Children & Families.

At least one of the schools said it would submit a proposal to
continue the training.

"It certainly disappointed me and frustrated me, but I have to rise
above it because we're dedicated at FIU to serving the community,"
said Ray Thomlison, dean of the School of Social Work. "My personal
feelings have to be tempered by the need to educate people in
children's services."
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/9320290.htm
Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.