arrearage Q

Old December 11th 06, 03:56 AM posted to alt.child-support
flyNlow

Default arrearage Q

I am in arrears currently. Support order states I pay $621.00 per mo until
last child turns 18. I have been paying the 621, plus 250 a mo in arrears.
Last child turned 18 last week. I contend my pmnts should go down, or be
negotiated as arrears. State says no, will continue to be 871 a mo until
arrears is paid off. I don't think this is correct. anyone have any input?

BTW, am paying the state of MN, collected via state of KS (Interstate
rules). Thanks.... FNL

Old December 11th 06, 04:18 AM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"flyNlow" wrote in

I am in arrears currently. Support order states I pay $621.00 per mo until
last child turns 18. I have been paying the 621, plus 250 a mo in arrears.
Last child turned 18 last week. I contend my pmnts should go down, or be
negotiated as arrears. State says no, will continue to be 871 a mo until
arrears is paid off. I don't think this is correct. anyone have any input?

How much in arrears do you owe?

Wouldn't it be quicker just to keep paying at the same rate and be done with
it?

Sucks either way, the child is out of danger and no great need for the state
to keep collect funds excpet they need the numbers to get paid!

Old December 11th 06, 04:58 AM posted to alt.child-support
flyNlow

"DB" wrote in message

How much in arrears do you owe?

Wouldn't it be quicker just to keep paying at the same rate and be done
with it?

Sucks either way, the child is out of danger and no great need for the
state to keep collect funds excpet they need the numbers to get paid!

Not certain of the amount of arrears. To me though, doesn't matter if it's
100 dollars, or a million. Court order states I pay 621 per month UNTIL last
childs 18th birthday. Not, pay 621 per month until we decide you don't have
to. I have no dispute/problem paying arrears. I do have a problem paying the
ordered amount PLUS arrears after the child has turned 18. Their
unwillingness to even negotiate bothers me. The order is no longer in
effect, they take the money via income withholding. What recourse have I
got?

Old December 11th 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"flyNlow" wrote in message

"DB" wrote in message

[...]

Check what your state law says about this circumstance. That is what is
driving the CSE action.

In my state the CS ordered amount plus the statutory arrearage add-on amount
can only be collected while a current CS amount is being accrued. After
that the CS collection goes back to the court ordered amount until the
arrearage is paid off.

Your state may have a different CS collection law.

Old December 11th 06, 03:15 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

That's the way it usually works. They figure that if you could afford
$871 before (no matter if you were busting your a-- & didn't have two
nickels left to rub together for yourself) you can continue paying that
much on the arrears only. It's a trap. Unless the obligee will agree to
a lesser amount, you'll need to show why you can no longer afford that
much like you would have to if requesting a downward mod.

Old December 14th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

This is in Virginia, but when my daughter graduated high school, just
after she reached 18, my current support obligation ended and
Virginia's DCSE reduced my payments to arrearage only and then went
back into court and had the order modified back up so my arrearage
payments equaled the monthly amount before my current support ended.

Because I was paying months of arrearage payments before they were due,
DCSE then charged me with contempt because I wasn't paying one
arrearage payment per month...I was $1,700 AHEAD of the court's
order...and I got sentenced to four months in jail.

Payback time is coming in U.S. District Court, however.

Old December 14th 06, 10:52 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

wrote in

Because I was paying months of arrearage payments before they were due,
DCSE then charged me with contempt because I wasn't paying one
arrearage payment per month...I was $1,700 AHEAD of the court's
order...and I got sentenced to four months in jail.

That is tragic, did they imprison you for all four months?

Payback time is coming in U.S. District Court, however.

We all hope you get the dirty basturds!