Question for anyone who checks their own cervix - sp TMI

Old June 14th 04, 03:33 PM
Amy

Default Question for anyone who checks their own cervix - sp TMI

Ok, now I'm curious. I'm used to charting cervical position from when I was
ttc, and know what my cervix normally feels like. After I had a bit of
spotting - 36 weeks - I wondered about my dilation/effacement etc. I've
tried to check myself, but I can't find my cervix at all! I've never had
that problem. I thought the only time the cervix was that high was during
ovulation or at the height of arousal. Usually even when I'm ovulating I can
find it, it's just a bit further back.
So now I'm wondering, is it possible it's in a similar position but just
very soft so I can't feel the OS? Is the cervix usually higher or lower than
normal when it is dilating/effacing favourably for labour?
I'm looking at induction in a couple of weeks, so I'm interested to know
whether the fact I can't find it is a good thing or a bad thing, obviously I
want it to be favourable. If I get curious enough, I might ask my midwife at
my next appointment.
Anyone have any experiences or know anything about this?

Old June 14th 04, 03:51 PM
Dagny

"Amy" wrote in message
[...]

Probably you can't find it because it has flipped around and the os is
pointed toward your back. It does that during pregnancy.

Old June 14th 04, 04:10 PM
Amy

"Dagny" wrote in message

Probably you can't find it because it has flipped around and the os is
pointed toward your back. It does that during pregnancy.

Thanks Dagny - does that happen during late pregnancy? I could find it
easily enough early on.

Old June 14th 04, 04:56 PM
Dagny

"Amy" wrote in message

"Dagny" wrote in message

Probably you can't find it because it has flipped around and the os is
pointed toward your back. It does that during pregnancy.

Thanks Dagny - does that happen during late pregnancy? I could find it
easily enough early on.

I'm not sure. Like you, I just remember looking for it and wondering where
it went. You'll see in cross-section pictures of a decent sized fetus in
pregnancy, they usually show the cervix pointed toward the back.

I asked my midwife last pregnancy when it would turn back around, and she
said something like, if it isn't turned around when I come out to the house
when you are in labor, I'm going home. That wasn't exactly the most useful
answer.
-- Dagny

Old June 15th 04, 03:04 AM
Cathy

Dagny wrote:
"Amy" wrote in message
Ok, now I'm curious. I'm used to charting cervical position from
when I was ttc, and know what my cervix normally feels like. After I
had a bit of spotting - 36 weeks - I wondered about my
dilation/effacement etc. I've tried to check myself, but I can't
find my cervix at all! I've never had that problem.

Probably you can't find it because it has flipped around and the os is
pointed toward your back. It does that during pregnancy.

I think this is what happened to me, and when my midwife examined me (I was
3 cm dilated) she somehow pulled it to the front. Very uncomfortable (and I
wonder if it was totally necessary).

Cathy

Old June 16th 04, 02:07 AM
Cathy

Elfanie wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:04:28 +1200, "Cathy"
wrote:

I think this is what happened to me, and when my midwife examined me
(I was 3 cm dilated) she somehow pulled it to the front. Very
uncomfortable (and I wonder if it was totally necessary).

Cathy

Not totally necessary...but it makes it easier to feel.

the cervix is posterior throughout the pregnancy...getting more and
more posterior as the baby grows.

before your baby is born, several things have to happen..
the cervix ripens/softens
the cervix turns from posterior to midline to anterior
the baby's station lowers
the cervix effaces
and the cervix dilates

the cervix moving to anterior can happen before labor (like
effacement and dilation can occur prior to labor), or not until
labor...it really depends.

Thanks for that! I have only my discharge notes from the hospital, but
apparently there is more I can get, and my midwife is going to get them for
me. But I'm just starting to remember things from last time, and I want to
be a bit more prepared this time, especially as I am aiming for a home
birth.

Cathy
EDD 8 Dec 04

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
late preg cervix check question Dagny Pregnancy 4 October 3rd 03 04:26 AM