allowance for 9 year old

Old February 6th 08, 05:13 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Default allowance for 9 year old

Jeff wrote in

I do wish people would do things to decrease our demands,
though. Like, soccer programs would recycle shirts from
year to year, so that people don't have to buy new ones if
the kids didn't want to keep the shirts (some of the kids
would keep the shirts and wear them until they got too
small). They could also buy shirts that are reversible with
two colors, so that you could use them from year to year
and hand them down.

heh.
my senior year in high school, the school decided to change
the girl's gym uniform from the blue bubble suit to t-shirt &
shorts.
these uniform items were sold at one store in town & when i
went shopping for back-to-school, i looked at them. the medium
blue shorts were $25 & the light blue t-shirts were $20. in
1971, this was an outrageous sum, especially since i knew i
was moving in the middle of the year. perhaps if it had been
my freshman year & i could wear the items for 4 years, it
would have been a passable value, but in my case, i didn't
think it was. i decided i would just wear shorts & a t-shirt i
already owned.
on the first day of gym class the teacher made it absolutely
clear that i *had* to wear Chelmsford shirt & shorts. no
substitutes would be acceptable. i made her clarify that the
shirt & shorts had to say Chelsford and i was understanding
correctly. yes, exactly.
so, i went & dug out my older brother's gym shirt(grey) &
shorts(maroon). both said Chelmsford. the teacher had a tizzy,
but had done what she said, so there was nothing she could do
about it. dragging my parents in would not have boded well for
her. they were already pretty fed up with that school.
i'm sure it drove her crazy to see that one grey & maroon
outfit in the sea of blue...
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old February 6th 08, 05:40 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On 6 Feb 2008 07:11:34 -0800, Banty wrote:

frequent washes for a few months, etc.) Buying crap clothing really is more a
matter of having fallen into a habit of either buying cheep thinking one is
ahead but buying more often, or chasing poorly made trendy styles season after
season.

Banty

If someone is the type to like chasing after trendy styles, then it makes
much more sense to just by the cheapest clothing than to look around for
well-made, more expensive stuff.
Old February 6th 08, 05:43 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:17:48 -0800 (PST), Beliavsky wrote:

On Feb 6, 6:15*am, Chookie wrote:
In article ,

*enigma wrote:
That's a pretty strong generalization. If a lot of people
did not think Wal-Mart offered good value, it would not be
the world's largest company by sales.

*no, people are (in general) lazy & ill-informed. they don't
realize that they are spending *more* money by constantly
replacing shoddy goods.

Or they may know it, but be unable to break out of the cycle. *For example, if
I only have $20 available and want to buy an iron, I am limited to $20 irons. *
That doesn't mean I'm not aware that a $50 iron would last a lot longer, but I
just don't *have* $50.

Considering how easily credit is available in the U.S., I wonder how
much of a factor that is here.

I think it's ridiculous to buy on credit when one doesn't have to.
Sometimes, it's necessary, like when buying a house or student loans, but
just for everyday items that aren't absolutely necessary, one shouldn't
live beyond one's means. Personally, I pay off my credit cards every
month, and if I couldn't I'd spend less so I could. When I was a starving
student (I wasn't really starving, but I gave myself a typical student
budget), I spent like a starving student. Spending on credit is what gets
people in trouble.
Old February 6th 08, 05:48 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

The kids on my soccer team get shirts every year. I suggest to the
parents what type of shin guard to get if they don't have any. I tell
them that if they have socks or shorts, don't bother getting new ones,
but if they do need to get new ones, get black, because they can use
them in the older divisions. I have had kids wear different color shorts
and socks, and no one seemed to care. I have yet to see a coach penalize
a kid for wearing the wrong color shorts or socks or other kids care
(the kids I coach are in first and second grade).

Of course, if they are wearing New York Yankee cloths, they have to go
home, but otherwise they can wear anything they want, as long as they
aren't wearing jewelry and have shin guards.

Jeff

PS, I was joking about the Yankees stuff, but I will kid them a bit
about it.
Old February 6th 08, 06:35 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Feb 6, 11:10 am, Jeff wrote:

I am too cheap to throw stuff out. So I have tons of old t-shirts that I
will wear until they fall apart. So if they were lessor quality, I
wouldn't care.

I do wish people would do things to decrease our demands, though. Like,
soccer programs would recycle shirts from year to year, so that people
don't have to buy new ones if the kids didn't want to keep the shirts
(some of the kids would keep the shirts and wear them until they got too
small). They could also buy shirts that are reversible with two colors,
so that you could use them from year to year and hand them down.

Americans probably are more "wasteful" than people in poorer
countries, but I think it is often a rational response to their time
being valuable and many material goods, such as T-shirts, being cheap.

To give one example, Indians have told me stories about a single
pencil being a prized possession for some students when they were
growing up in the 1940s and 50s -- it needed to last a school year. I
don't care how many pencils and pieces of paper my kids consume,
whether through writing, drawing, or scribbling, and my attitude is
rational considering my circumstances.

There is too much judging of other people's consumption ("McMansions",
"suburban sprawl", "gas-guzzlers", "meat-guzzlers"
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/we...27bittman.html) by
environmentalists and their ilk.

Old February 6th 08, 06:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Barbara

On Feb 6, 11:10*am, Jeff wrote:
Banty wrote:
In article QZiqj.110626$ds2.106943@trnddc05, Jeff says...
Chookie wrote:
In article ,
*enigma wrote:

That's a pretty strong generalization. If a lot of people
did not think Wal-Mart offered good value, it would not be
the world's largest company by sales.
*no, people are (in general) lazy & ill-informed. they don't
realize that they are spending *more* money by constantly
replacing shoddy goods.
Or they may know it, but be unable to break out of the cycle. *For example, if
I only have $20 available and want to buy an iron, I am limited to $20 irons.
That doesn't mean I'm not aware that a $50 iron would last a lot longer, but I
just don't *have* $50.
Yet you have the option of saving an additional $30. There are things
called savings accounts. Instead of wasting money (e.g., instead of
buying two 1/2 gallons carton of milk twice a week, buy one one gallon
cartoon of milk), you spend wisely, save the money, and when you know
you're going to need a new iron, get a good one on sale (or in my case,
a cheap one, because I don't use the iron much). And because you saved,
you had the money when you needed the iron. Or buy it on a credit card
and get 1% back. In addition, if you shop around on the internet, you
can find some pretty ok irons for $20.

Sure. *Furthermore, while in the case of the iron, where one buys only once, and
might need it right away, clothes are a different case. *In order to 'save' to
obtain a quality piece of clothing, one only needs to abstain from buying crap
clothing for awhile, or buy fewer clothes. *(And please no one nit about more
[...]

In our baseball league, the kids are on the same team for 3 years, so
they can wear the same shirt for 3 years unless they outgrow them.
Not so in basketball, for example, but then the kids just put the
shirts into their general circulation tees, wear them to sleep, or
wear them as undershirt-tees. With all of the track, basketball,
baseball (from the league before this one) and camp tees we have, One
is usually pretty well set for summer.

One doesn't particularly care for soccer; is there a reason that
soccer shirts are any different?

Barbara
Old February 6th 08, 06:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Beliavsky wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:10 am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

IMHO, a more rational is that they use whatever they want, as long as
they don't waste stuff.

Old February 6th 08, 06:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

Jeff wrote:
The kids on my soccer team get shirts every year. I suggest to the
parents what type of shin guard to get if they don't have any. I tell
them that if they have socks or shorts, don't bother getting new ones,
but if they do need to get new ones, get black, because they can use
them in the older divisions. I have had kids wear different color shorts
and socks, and no one seemed to care. I have yet to see a coach penalize
a kid for wearing the wrong color shorts or socks or other kids care
(the kids I coach are in first and second grade).

Gosh, my son started soccer last fall, and for most of the teams, the
T-shirt was the only matching item. (He wss 5 - I'm not sure what the
older kids do.) This is in a city rec league, with a fair number of
lower-income kids - it would be crazy to make them buy special shorts.
(You get the T-shirt and socks when you pay the $30 sign-up fee.)

Clisby

Old February 6th 08, 07:05 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Barbara wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:10 am, Jeff wrote:
Banty wrote:
In article QZiqj.110626$ds2.106943@trnddc05, Jeff says...
Chookie wrote:
In article ,
enigma wrote:
[...]

The soccer shirts are soccer jerseys which are not t-shirts, but that
doesn't really matter. The teams all have sponsors, so when a sponsor
changes, they would have to get new shirts.

Other leagues use colored t-shirts and don't get soccer jerseys. The
kids don't care, though.

Jeff
Old February 7th 08, 12:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Citcom

"toypup" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:17:48 -0800 (PST), Beliavsky wrote:

On Feb 6, 6:15 am, Chookie wrote:
In article ,

enigma wrote:
[...]

I agree completely. As someone who just refinanced their mortgage to get
out of CC debt, we now only use the cc when necessary and pay it off
immediately. I'm not going to buy a $50 iron on cc and not have the money
to pay it off at the end of the month (and therefore have to pay interest on
it which makes it cost more than $50) if I can buy a $20 iron without the
cc.

--
L. Miller
My Homeeschool Space www.myhomeschoolplace.com/Hogwartsacademy/

How much allowance for teens? [email protected] General 26 December 18th 06 06:10 PM
Allowance DavidW General 0 March 19th 06 04:37 PM
Allowance MsLiz General 19 August 12th 05 06:21 PM
Does "TV Allowance" work to manage kids' TV time? THW General 23 September 9th 04 07:36 PM
Allowance tracking on Palm? Robyn Kozierok General (moderated) 30 October 3rd 03 11:51 PM