Ideas on paint for kids room

Old February 11th 08, 07:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Me Myself and I[_3_]

Default Ideas on paint for kids room

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi --

Kids' ideas about what they like change. I'd go for wall and trim
colors that are neutral enough to go with many different things. If the
room is small, a pale yellow with white trim will brighten it up, of
it's large, consider pale blue with white trim.

The advantage of NOT putting pink on the walls and trim is that you can
then get curtains, sheets, rugs, etc. in various shades of pink (or not)
that won't clash. And these are things that are pretty easy to change
as the kids' tastes change.

ITA I have two girls 3 & 5 and their rooms are painted a very pale yellow
with white woodwork. But in DD1's room the curtains, duvet cover, pillow
case rug etc are all pinks and purples, with colourful numbers on the wall
(completely removable). Yet DD2 has a large patchwork quilt on her wall in
blue and yellow shades and she has a Whinny the Poo theme duvet cover and
pillow case so her room gives off a much cooler feel. But I can change that
all simply by changing those few simple things. It also means if we come to
sell the house I won't have to re-paint.

--
Pip, in NZ

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - March 02 - 4lb 12oz
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - Feb 05 - 3lb 14oz
Two and a half and still a terror!!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old February 11th 08, 07:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

enigma wrote:

unless you enjoy redecorating, i'd stick with basic or
classic wall colors & use cheaper bedspreads, rugs, etc. to
make it 'little girly', or since one of your girls isn't so
'girly', keep the whole room more basic/classic. unless the
room is exceptionally tiny (8'x 8' or less), don't be afraid
of darker colors. they can make the room much cozier looking.

The only thing I'd say is that you're probably better
off with a neutral color on the walls. No matter what color
the child likes, if you put the main color on the walls, odds
are you'll have a devil of a time finding other things the
child likes in that color that won't clash. Blues are often
forgiving, but pinks and purples can be a nightmare (as can
greens). It's not so much fun when you feel like your hands
are tied with the bedding/furniture/accessories because you
can't find them in a shade that doesn't clash.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 11th 08, 07:52 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

enigma wrote:
wrote in

oups.com:

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms.
Thanks.

i have a boy, but i'd do the same for a girl (note: i detest
pink & would steer any kid away from that).

My husband and I have a conversation about this. He sometimes wants to
project his preferences. I dont want the kids determining that the kitchen
shall be pink of have transformer curtains, but in their space I like to
defer to their taste. I don't like Disney princesses. I think they are just
the stupidest thing. But my 4yo is too young to have a clue what I mean by
this. And someday when she *is* I can explain my preference. But until then,
I like giving them the power to control this sort of thing.

I think it is interesting that DH sometimes does not want to let them
decorate in their own style since it was a big point of contention when he
was growing up. He has oft complained how he could never figure out why his
father had to like HIS room.

i also dislike
"theme rooms" because kids outgrow things quickly.
i let Boo choose the paint colors for his room, reminding him
that his loft bed is a navy blue & the paint should go with
that. he chose a soft midrange grey for the walls, with an off
white for the trim (we have *lots* of trim. his room has 3
doors, 4 windows, a closet & a fireplace) & a pale blue for
the ceiling (a very faint blue tinged white). his bookcases
are chalkboard paint (dark grey) on the outsides & the
interiors/shelves are glow-in-the-dark paint. i'm also using
magnetic primer on the panels of the doors (& possibly on the
board closing off the fireplace). i'll probably add glow-in-
the-dark details to some of the trim as well.
unless you enjoy redecorating, i'd stick with basic or
classic wall colors & use cheaper bedspreads, rugs, etc. to
make it 'little girly', or since one of your girls isn't so
'girly', keep the whole room more basic/classic. unless the
room is exceptionally tiny (8'x 8' or less), don't be afraid
of darker colors. they can make the room much cozier looking.
lee

Old February 11th 08, 09:37 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Stephanie wrote:
wrote:
I have two girls, preschool aged. Currently, their room doesn't have
any furniture. We're going to buy a trundle bed (probably white sleigh
bed design). We are also thinking of painting their room. Can anyone
please give me ideas on the paint color, theme etc? My DD1 (5 yo next
month) is very girly and likes all things pink and purple. DD2 (3.5)
is a tom boy but she loves her sister and respects her choices (for
now, anyway).

They will share this room. I may add a hand-me-down dresser which I'll
paint white to match the bed. Apart from that, they have toy chest,
toy organizer and a book case in the room.

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms. Thanks.

I did some basic color, off white or something. Then we decorated with
accessories instead of paint and wall stuff. So we can change easily. Right
now they have space motif and princess motif kinda intermingled.

And if one doesn't like white or off white, there are
a surprising number of colors that function well as neutrals.
Taupes/tans can be very nice to work with. They may seem drab
(especially to kids), but they can really warm up a room and
are a great backdrop to other colors. Sage-y greens can
function as a very nice neutral for a lot of pastels, as long
as you don't want to match it or put another green with it.
A dark eggplant will function as neutral with a surprising
number of colors.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 11th 08, 09:50 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 3:19 pm, Clisby wrote:
wrote:
I have two girls, preschool aged. Currently, their room doesn't have
any furniture. We're going to buy a trundle bed (probably white sleigh
bed design). We are also thinking of painting their room. Can anyone
please give me ideas on the paint color, theme etc? My DD1 (5 yo next
month) is very girly and likes all things pink and purple. DD2 (3.5)
is a tom boy but she loves her sister and respects her choices (for
now, anyway).

They will share this room. I may add a hand-me-down dresser which I'll
paint white to match the bed. Apart from that, they have toy chest,
toy organizer and a book case in the room.

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms. Thanks.

Decorate a kid's room? I guess if I ever get around to decorating my
room, I can turn my attention to my kids' rooms. By that time, they'll
be old enough to do it themselves. I did paint their rooms, along with
the rest of the house, before we moved in - cream walls with white trim.

Clisby

OP here.
I guess I should've mentioned the context. My soon to be 5yo and I
talked a bit about the opportunity cost of money in terms of 50cents
will get you two gum balls or a ride in carousel outside walmart etc.
So I took it to the next level and asked her if she wanted a 2 hour
party with her friends at a birthday party place or a nice trundle bed
for her room. She didn't skip a beat and asked for the bed. She said
"I can go to the party place when my friends have their birthday". We
are still going to cut the cake with a couple of her friends at home.

With that, we figured we can buy her a bed and paint the room at the
same time. Right now, it's builder beige on the walls with their
mattresses on the floor. Anything we do to it can be called
decoration
Old February 11th 08, 10:20 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
wrote:
On Feb 11, 3:19 pm, Clisby wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I would go for a neutral paint colour (like some of the other posters
have suggested), and then let her pick a wallpaper border and/or
peel and stick decorations. The colour can then last through several
make-overs while the border and stickers give a very decorated feel
to the room that will let her feel she has picked her own decor.
They are cheap and quick to remove, so if she outgrows the decorations
in a few years you can let her start again.

Carol

Old February 11th 08, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Woolstitcher

wrote in message
I have two girls, preschool aged. Currently, their room doesn't have
any furniture. We're going to buy a trundle bed (probably white sleigh
bed design). We are also thinking of painting their room. Can anyone
please give me ideas on the paint color, theme etc? My DD1 (5 yo next
month) is very girly and likes all things pink and purple. DD2 (3.5)
is a tom boy but she loves her sister and respects her choices (for
now, anyway).

They will share this room. I may add a hand-me-down dresser which I'll
paint white to match the bed. Apart from that, they have toy chest,
toy organizer and a book case in the room.

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms. Thanks.

My kids room is tie-dye. Blue ceiling, yellow walls and cotton candy pink
trim. W/ tie dye curtains and bed spreads ... painted dressers and bed to
match.
I don't do neutrals. boring. It's just paint, if you don't like it you can
always paint over it. I plan on painting each kids room every 2-3 yrs.
btw, pick good paint, not the cheap stuff. You will use less and it will
look better. I only use Shirwin Williams paint in our house.

Old February 12th 08, 02:31 AM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:27:33 GMT, "Woolstitcher"
wrote:

My kids room is tie-dye. Blue ceiling, yellow walls and cotton candy pink
trim. W/ tie dye curtains and bed spreads ... painted dressers and bed to
match.

E would probably love this. She really likes bright colors. She
wants me to sew her a duvet cover in some really outrageous and bright
colored quilt-like squares.

Nan