Ideas on paint for kids room

Old February 12th 08, 10:26 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Default Ideas on paint for kids room

wrote in message
I have two girls, preschool aged. Currently, their room doesn't have
any furniture. We're going to buy a trundle bed (probably white sleigh
bed design). We are also thinking of painting their room. Can anyone
please give me ideas on the paint color, theme etc? My DD1 (5 yo next
month) is very girly and likes all things pink and purple. DD2 (3.5)
is a tom boy but she loves her sister and respects her choices (for
now, anyway).

They will share this room. I may add a hand-me-down dresser which I'll
paint white to match the bed. Apart from that, they have toy chest,
toy organizer and a book case in the room.

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms. Thanks.

I guess we're all different on this.
As we wanted #2 to move into #1's room and #1 to be happy with this, we let
#1 choose her room. She wanted purple and yellow. So we ended up with purple
(with faint stars on it) wallpaper below a disney princess border, and
yellow above it. All the woodwork is yellow too. Actually looks quite nice,
and she has one of those cabin beds with a slide out of it, tower, and tent
underneath. The curtains on the cabin bed are purple and pink and her main
curtains are purple with a yellow bow on each end.
I'm not usre she would choose exactly this room nearly 4 years later, but
her friends always admire it, and she still likes it a lot. She did say that
she'd like to take it with her when we move, but that's partually she
doesn't like change.

#2's room is done in Laura Ashley ballet. It is pink walls with the ballet
border and the matching curtains. The only reason behind this is that Laura
Ashley was closing down in town when I was looking and it cost me less than
£5 to get all the stuff. Very cheap!

However we're now looking at moving and it does get a giggle from the single
men looking round our house when they see the rooms.

It was important at the time we did it, that #1 should be pleased to move
into that room. She doesn't like change, and it was hard for her to move out
of her old room. But #2's room is tiny, hardly fits the junior bed in, so it
made much more sense for her to have the larger room.

We haven't decorated our room at all. It's in student magnolia with dirt
marks...
Debbie

#2's room is done in Laura Ashley ballet. It is pink walls with the ballet
border and the matching curtains. The only reason behind this is that Laura
Ashley was closing down in town when I was looking and it cost me less than
£5 to get all the stuff. Very cheap!

However we're now looking at moving and it does get a giggle from the single
men looking round our house when they see the rooms.

It was important at the time we did it, that #1 should be pleased to move
into that room. She doesn't like change, and it was hard for her to move out
of her old room. But #2's room is tiny, hardly fits the junior bed in, so it
made much more sense for her to have the larger room.

We haven't decorated our room at all. It's in student magnolia with dirt
marks...

Watching Changing Rooms on BBCA I was astonished to find that the
English paint everything a shade called Magnolia. Which is apparently
a kind of green tinged white.

I personally HATE both pink and all shades of beige or tan on the
wall. So greenish white or cream (yellowish white) would be OK with
me, but NOT beige and not pink. I'm very unhappy when I have to
decorate where the main color in the room is either pink or tan/beige.

Normally when we moved (which we did a large number of times), DH
would go in and paint everything before the furniture got there. We
didn't do that only when we were renting for a short time (like less
than a year). I usually picked white woodwork and some definite color
for the walls. I'm partial to blue, but dh wanted me to pick a paint
for the family room, and he wanted a shade of green. I wanted the art
on the walls to be OK with the color so the shade of green I picked
was very pale.

Something to think about is that accessory colors have a popularity
component. I tiled a bathroom when we moved in here c 1974 with white
and greenish gold tiles, and I had a green rug, a green wastebasket
etc.. The walls above the tile was painted a shade called Colonial
Gold which was a greenish gold. I can't get things in that shade of
gold or green anymore so I had to replace the rug with a beige one
(ugh).

#2's room is done in Laura Ashley ballet. It is pink walls with the ballet
[...]

More yellow/white. For moving, yes, magnolia is apparently the best colour
to paint your house (along with a pale cream carpet) to get the best offers.
But I wouldn't say most of my friends have magnolia walls at all. Changing
rooms doesn't depict "The English" really. :-)
We don't paint everything magnolia. Our bedroom is the only one, and that's
as we got it. As a student all the rooms were magnolia so it's a bit of a
joke between me and dh.
Debbie

I personally HATE both pink and all shades of beige or tan on the
wall. So greenish white or cream (yellowish white) would be OK with
me, but NOT beige and not pink. I'm very unhappy when I have to
decorate where the main color in the room is either pink or tan/beige.

snip

Old February 12th 08, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Welches" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
"Welches" wrote:

Watching Changing Rooms on BBCA I was astonished to find that the
English paint everything a shade called Magnolia. Which is apparently
a kind of green tinged white.

Sorry - I mis-typed when I said the English 'paint everything'. I
didn't really mean that everyone painted with that color. Just that
it was the builder's default color as you said.

More yellow/white. For moving, yes, magnolia is apparently the best colour
to paint your house (along with a pale cream carpet) to get the best offers.
But I wouldn't say most of my friends have magnolia walls at all. Changing
rooms doesn't depict "The English" really. :-)

It's hard to get an exact color idea off of the TV. And I don't
suppose that Changing Rooms is any more 'real English people' than
Trading Spaces is real US people.

Old February 13th 08, 06:51 AM posted to misc.kids
purrgo

I have just decorated my 3yo girl's room in rich yellow, green and
white. Lovely butterflies and flowers in these colours on the curtain
fabric, not girlie or overly young. It will do her for years and
always look fresh. I grew up with my bedrooms in these colours
graduating from kids' prints, to laura ashley and then a sophisticated
frieze print as we moved houses. Pink will date and the colour
doesn't last well as red is an unstable colour. Good luck!

Old February 13th 08, 03:11 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Feb 13, 12:51 am, purrgo wrote:
I have just decorated my 3yo girl's room in rich yellow, green and
white. Lovely butterflies and flowers in these colours on the curtain
fabric, not girlie or overly young. It will do her for years and
always look fresh. I grew up with my bedrooms in these colours
graduating from kids' prints, to laura ashley and then a sophisticated
frieze print as we moved houses. Pink will date and the colour
doesn't last well as red is an unstable colour. Good luck!

Great idea regarding the curtains. Currently they have a drab curtain
with a liner, the soul purpose being to block the sun (their room
faces east). I think it's time to replace it! Thank you!
Old February 15th 08, 06:41 PM posted to misc.kids
annie

On Feb 11, 8:47 am, wrote:
I have two girls, preschool aged. Currently, their room doesn't have
any furniture. We're going to buy a trundle bed (probably white sleigh
bed design). We are also thinking of painting their room. Can anyone
please give meideason thepaintcolor, theme etc? My DD1 (5 yo next
month) is very girly and likes all things pink and purple. DD2 (3.5)
is a tom boy but she loves her sister and respects her choices (for
now, anyway).

They will share this room. I may add a hand-me-down dresser which I'llpaintwhite to match the bed. Apart from that, they have toy chest,
toy organizer and a book case in the room.

I would like to hear how you decorated your kids' rooms. Thanks.

For my son's room, one of the main elements are large blocks of sky/
cloud wallpaper that we framed with the same trim that we have around
the windows. Then, we put airplane Wallies in the "windows". It
looks great and is very versatile should he decide he wants a
different theme later. We can just get new Wallies and provide a
different view. You could do something similar for girls -
butterflies, flowers, etc. It's a little more unique than traditional
wallpaper borders or just sticking the Wallies on a plain wall. You
could make a "window" for each of your girls and let them each choose
what they want their view to be.

Annie