travel to mexico at 10 weeks?

Old January 23rd 04, 05:54 PM

Default travel to mexico at 10 weeks?

Hi, a very good friend is getting married in Mexico in February. My
husband and I were planning to go, but then we found out I was
pregnant. I would be around 10 weeks by their wedding.

I live in California, and the wedding is just outside of Mexico City.
The flight is only about 3 hours and we would only be there for 3
days. However I think the thing that's more of a concern than flying
is getting a parasite or sick while there... and I know its supposed
to be better to travel during the 2nd trimester... anyway, what should
I do? I could stay and have my husband go, they would understand, but
I would like to go...

If its dangerous for the baby though, I definitely won't do it...

anyone have any experience with this?
Old January 23rd 04, 08:05 PM
Jill

wrote
anyone have any experience with this?

If you feel like it, I say go. I was way too nauseous to travel anywhere--
if I hadn't had morning sickness you bet I would have travelled.

In Mexico just be very careful not to drink the water- drink ONLY bottled
water. This includes Ice!! No ice in your drink. This is to be safe...I am
sure some establishments in MExico are ok and have filtered water but I have
still heard horror stories. The one that sticks out in my mind is someone
went to a bar in Cozumel and avoided the water, but had frozen mixed drinks
and got the same symptoms. It could be the bartender used a cheap tequila or
something. (No they weren't pregnant!) I say better safe than sorry...since
it's just 3 days try to get by with that in mind and avoid unbottled water,
and ice.

If you feel like going I think that's wonderful. You may want to be prepared
in case you have morning sickness kick in while your down there and get your
dr to give you something ahead of time, and take hand sanitizer and
towellettes with you..

Old January 23rd 04, 08:09 PM
Denise Anderson

wrote in message
om...
Hi, a very good friend is getting married in Mexico in February. My
husband and I were planning to go, but then we found out I was
pregnant. I would be around 10 weeks by their wedding.

I live in California, and the wedding is just outside of Mexico City.
The flight is only about 3 hours and we would only be there for 3
days. However I think the thing that's more of a concern than flying
is getting a parasite or sick while there... and I know its supposed
to be better to travel during the 2nd trimester... anyway, what should
I do? I could stay and have my husband go, they would understand, but
I would like to go...

If its dangerous for the baby though, I definitely won't do it...

anyone have any experience with this?

If you feel up to it, I'd go. I travelled back and forth between Tijuana
and San Diego a lot while I was pregnant with my first daughter. Places
like Mexico City are a little more refined than Tijuana anyhow.

Old January 23rd 04, 09:12 PM
Plissken

"Nan" wrote in message
news | On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:05:47 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

| The one that sticks out in my mind is someone
| went to a bar in Cozumel and avoided the water, but had frozen mixed
drinks
| and got the same symptoms. It could be the bartender used a cheap tequila
or
| something.
|
| /puts on former bartender hat...
| The person you're talking about had drinks that used ice, if they were
| "frozen". The bartender puts ice into the blender to 'freeze' the
| alcohol and mix.
|
| Sticking to only bottled water, or bottled beer, or bottled drinks
| that don't require ice is the only safe way to go, unless you can be
| sure the bar uses ice not from a local water source.

Also, if the bottles have been sitting in coolers full of ice (many do at
beach side bars) make sure to wipe the top of the bottle before drinking it.

Nadene

Old January 23rd 04, 09:18 PM
Christine

Hummm......I went to Hawaii when I was about 10 weeks....it was a 10
hour flight...

everything was fine but i didnt drink any water just ( purified wated
)......I never really thought about anything, I swam in the ocean and
snorkleled and everything...

you'll be fine....if you feel fine...;-))

Congrats....;-))

Old January 23rd 04, 09:57 PM
Circe

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:
wrote:
days. However I think the thing that's more of a concern than flying
is getting a parasite or sick while there... and I know its supposed
to be better to travel during the 2nd trimester... anyway, what
should I do? I could stay and have my husband go, they would
understand, but I would like to go...

If its dangerous for the baby though, I definitely won't do it...

Well I'd say DO NOT DRINK THE WATER, don't eat the food,

Cooked food in Mexico is, IME, as safe as cooked food in the US. You *do*
have to watch out for fruits and fruit juices. Unless stated otherwise,
hotel water will be safe to drink, but bottled water is an alternative if it
makes you nervous.

and be very very careful in the bathrooms.

Why would you need to be any more careful in a Mexican bathroom than in one
in the US? It's not as though the US has the corner on cleanliness in this
arena, ya know!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

"Call anywhere, any time...virtually from any phone" -- prepaid phone card
dispenser

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old January 23rd 04, 10:31 PM
Jill

"Nan" wrote

/puts on former bartender hat...
The person you're talking about had drinks that used ice, if they were
"frozen". The bartender puts ice into the blender to 'freeze' the
alcohol and mix.

I was wondering if the ice would be just as risky in a stiff alcoholic
drink, as ice in a Pepsi...

Old January 23rd 04, 10:48 PM

Well obviously I wouldn't drink the water (only purified bottled
water) and we'd be staying in a very nice hotel which hopefully would
be good at making sure the food was safe...

but well, maybe its not a good idea... its too bad I was really
looking forward to this trip...

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote in message news:BrdQb.108761$nt4.404401@attbi_s51...
wrote:

days. However I think the thing that's more of a concern than flying
is getting a parasite or sick while there... and I know its supposed
to be better to travel during the 2nd trimester... anyway, what should
I do? I could stay and have my husband go, they would understand, but
I would like to go...

If its dangerous for the baby though, I definitely won't do it...

Well I'd say DO NOT DRINK THE WATER, don't eat the food, and be very
very careful in the bathrooms.