Sore Nipples! Ssssss Ow ow ow

Old March 19th 04, 11:03 PM
JennP

Default Sore Nipples! Ssssss Ow ow ow

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...

The bonus is that there is no sign of those plugged ducts now! YAY!

Great news. Which tricks did you try. I never got a full blown plugged duct.
I always managed to stop them before they started. I think the key is to
recognize early signs of plugged ducts.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old March 19th 04, 11:04 PM
elizabeth emerald

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
It seems Miss Isabella has hit her 6-week growth spurt at 5 weeks! She
nursed practically all day yesterday. She is still nursing quite a bit
today but not like yesterday.

The tube of lanolin is back in use. :-)

The bonus is that there is no sign of those plugged ducts now! YAY!

glad to hear the plugged ducts have been sent on their way!

i remember i had pretty painful sensitive nipples for a long time (12
weeks?) at the start but i only just started to use the lanolin right when
DS hit his 6 week growth spurt. i can remember posting on the ng asking if
lanolin made babies hungry as he'd suddenly started to feed heaps more as
soon as i put it on! LOL!

hope the growth spurt moves along swiftly for you.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old March 19th 04, 11:15 PM
DeliciousTruffles

JennP wrote:

Great news. Which tricks did you try. I never got a full blown plugged duct.
I always managed to stop them before they started. I think the key is to
recognize early signs of plugged ducts.

I think so too. They were never fully plugged but I think they would
have been if I hadn't recognized the early signs.

I think the added pumping did indeed help plus all the extra nursing
from Isabella (although that was a coincidence). I also massaged the
sore ducts (gently). I also went braless yesterday and today.

I never got around to the warm compresses. Nor the shower (geez, I can
barely fit those in every couple of days lol!).

I definitely will not be wearing a tight bra again. :-(

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=782084

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 19th 04, 11:21 PM
DeliciousTruffles

elizabeth emerald wrote:

i remember i had pretty painful sensitive nipples for a long time (12
weeks?) at the start but i only just started to use the lanolin right when
DS hit his 6 week growth spurt. i can remember posting on the ng asking if
lanolin made babies hungry as he'd suddenly started to feed heaps more as
soon as i put it on! LOL!

That's funny! LOL! :-D

hope the growth spurt moves along swiftly for you.

I hope so too. But compared to the twins, one isn't so bad. When the
twins hit growth spurts, hoo boy, they would last a while (partly my own
fault though for supplementing during those times).

Old March 20th 04, 12:05 AM
Carol Ann

:: It seems Miss Isabella has hit her 6-week growth spurt at 5 weeks! She
:: nursed practically all day yesterday. She is still nursing quite a bit
:: today but not like yesterday.
::
:: The tube of lanolin is back in use. :-)
::
:: The bonus is that there is no sign of those plugged ducts now! YAY!
::
:: --
:: Brigitte aa #2145
:: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/joshuaandkaterina/
:: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=782084
::
:: "Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare."
:: ~ Harriet Martineau

Brigitte,

I can't believe it's been 5 weeks already!! Wowee!!

I haven't read the other threads yet, but was wondering if you had posted
your "breastfeeding experience" from the beginning?

Which lanolin cream are you using? My EDD is Monday! Wahoo!! I missed the
Breastfeeding class at the hospital so I'm learning what I can here.

~Carol Ann

Old March 20th 04, 12:26 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Carol Ann wrote:

I haven't read the other threads yet, but was wondering if you had posted
your "breastfeeding experience" from the beginning?

You're scheduled for a c-section, right? Okay. I had a c-section
(actually this was my 2nd c-section) so remember that I am a pro now!
LOL! :-D

Find out your hospital recovery room policy WRT nursing your baby. When
I had the twins they brought the babies to me in the recovery room to
establish nursing within 20 minutes. When I had Isabella, she wasn't
allowed in the recovery room (different hospitals, different policies).
It was over 2 hours before I could attempt nursing with her.

I was worried about supplementation so I sterilized my Avent Isis (which
I know you have) and put it in a Ziploc bag. It went into surgery with
me and subsequently into the recovery room. As soon as I was able to
move my legs (I had a spinal), I got the nurses to prop me on my side a
little and I pumped a few ml's of colostrum just for insurance in case
she needed supplementation.

(One of the twins suffered from nipple confusion/bottle preference so I
was cautious.)

In the end, she didn't need it.

Be prepared to have your little one almost permanently attached to you
for the first day or two. Isabella must have been nursing for 20 out of
the first 24 hours. Have dh stay in the room with you so he can help
position you in the bed and help you visit the bathroom.

It is very important to get up and moving as soon as you can after a
c-section. It might take you 5 minutes to get to the bathroom but it is
important. Moving gets the oxygen-rich blood to your incision which
helps promote healing.

I brought from home some very firm pillows to place the baby upon while
nursing. I slept sitting up for the first week as well. It is pretty
easy to nurse and sleep if you are sitting up.

I also have of those bed-chair pillows. I still use it at night.

Which lanolin cream are you using? My EDD is Monday! Wahoo!! I missed the
Breastfeeding class at the hospital so I'm learning what I can here.

The lanolin I am using is Lansinoh.

Ask questions here!!! I'm almost positive I could have avoided a lot of
grief with Katerina if I had known about this place. Learn as much as
you can before you go on Monday.

Remember, just because a hospital labels itself "Breastfeeding Friendly"
doesn't necessarily mean it is! I turned down 2 offers of formula
supplementation for Isabella that first night (so I could "get some
rest, dear") in a so-called "Breastfeeding Friendly" hospital.

Ask! Ask! Ask!

Old March 20th 04, 01:19 AM
Carol Ann

::: I haven't read the other threads yet, but was wondering if you had
posted
::: your "breastfeeding experience" from the beginning?
::
:: You're scheduled for a c-section, right? Okay. I had a c-section
:: (actually this was my 2nd c-section) so remember that I am a pro now!
:: LOL! :-D

No, no c section scheduled. I hope I don't have to go that route.

[...]

Thanks, Brigitte!!!

~Carol Ann

Old March 20th 04, 01:42 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Carol Ann wrote:

::: I haven't read the other threads yet, but was wondering if you had
posted
::: your "breastfeeding experience" from the beginning?
::
:: You're scheduled for a c-section, right? Okay. I had a c-section
:: (actually this was my 2nd c-section) so remember that I am a pro now!
:: LOL! :-D

No, no c section scheduled. I hope I don't have to go that route.

Oh, sorry. I know! I was thinking about Coccinella (Nicky). She's
scheduled for one on Monday. Oops. :-)

Well, most of what I said pretty much still applies. ;-)

Old March 20th 04, 08:04 PM
JennP

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Which lanolin cream are you using?

The most common is Lansinoh. It's 100% lanolin.

My EDD is Monday! Wahoo!! I missed the
Breastfeeding class at the hospital so I'm learning what I can here.

You have time to pick up a book or two. I can't remember the exact titles
but books that were helpful to me were Sears' _The Breastfeeding Book_,
_Womany Art of Breastfeeding_ by LLL (La Leche League) and and I'm kind of
flaking out on the title of the third but someone will jump in and help,
Nursing Mothers Guide or Companion or something like that. Huggins was the
author I think.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old March 21st 04, 05:46 AM
Irene

"JennP" wrote in message news:%A07c.50172$SR1.90148@attbi_s04...
"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Which lanolin cream are you using?

The most common is Lansinoh. It's 100% lanolin.

My EDD is Monday! Wahoo!! I missed the
Breastfeeding class at the hospital so I'm learning what I can here.

You have time to pick up a book or two. I can't remember the exact titles
but books that were helpful to me were Sears' _The Breastfeeding Book_,
_Womany Art of Breastfeeding_ by LLL (La Leche League) and and I'm kind of
flaking out on the title of the third but someone will jump in and help,
Nursing Mothers Guide or Companion or something like that. Huggins was the
author I think.

It's The Nursing Mother's Companion. That's the one I had - it seemed
to have the highest percentage of useful reference material, vs The
Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, which seemed to spend entirely too much
time on either persuading you why you should bf (I was already
convinced) or on the history of LLL, which was a little too
self-absorbed to me. I'm not sure why I decided against Sears -
possibly because those others seemed to be the most highly recommended
at the time I was book-shopping. (Plus, I had Sears' The Pregnancy
Book and The Birth Book - I was starting to get a little Searsed-out!)

Anyhow, if you do manage to pick up a copy, definitely bring it to the
hospital with you! I found it very, very helpful in those first
couple of days.

Irene