4-month roll call.

Old November 9th 03, 05:48 PM
AlenasMom

Default 4-month roll call.

I'm feeling left out.

Alena's doing great! 14lbs, 26" long, and still nursing like crazy!

Is anyone else getting pestered about solids? MIL wants me to feed Alena
turkey and mashed potatoes at Christmas. (It's not happening!)

We're all doing great here!
How about the rest of you?

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old November 9th 03, 08:11 PM
Mushtywoof

"AlenasMom" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I'm feeling left out.

Alena's doing great! 14lbs, 26" long, and still nursing like crazy!

Is anyone else getting pestered about solids? MIL wants me to feed Alena
turkey and mashed potatoes at Christmas. (It's not happening!)

We're all doing great here!
How about the rest of you?

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003
www.maternalinstinctscanada.com
validate the email address before sending.

Hiya

Georgia is doing great too (i bet theres not many mums who would say
otherwise about their baby hehe). She is 16 weeks old today weighed 12lb
10oz last thursday and is about 23" long. She is exclusively bf and the
longest she has slept (once last friday) was from 7.30pm till 4.40am.
Usually she'll sleep a 6hr ish stint then wake every 2-3 hours for a feed.
Im ok with this (but looking forward to the suprise of an all night
sleep!) - everyone tells me if she was on formula and/or baby rice she would
sleep through! No way! You can tell there arent many pro bf in my area!

Most mums I know with babies the same age ish are starting solids....the age
old 'but she/he needs more'. Im holding off until 6 months as recommended,
but will look and judge her readiness. Neighbours are starting to give me
advice on solids and if my mum was local she would be pestering me too.
Christmas will be hard with all the family saying 'not on solids yet, why
ever not!'.

Georgia loves sitting up (i hold her) and when lying down seems to be trying
to do straight leg sit ups (i presume to get a better look at the world!).
Starting to drool quite a bit, and just lately started getting very 'grabby'
with her toys. Even put elephants trunk in her mouth! I think she is going
to be a right hander (im left).

That'll do for now!
--
Mushty
Georgia born 20th July 2003

Old November 9th 03, 08:29 PM
Anne Rogers

I'm feeling left out.
sorry about that, for some reason I had in my head Alena was a similar age
to Nathanael, was she late, Nathanael was early, so maybe they are a
similar age by conception. 2 ladies I know and I were all due within a
week of each other, in the end we had them spread evenly over 4 weeks,
there is quite a lot of difference between them, those extra weeks on the
outside seem to make a difference.

Alena's doing great! 14lbs, 26" long, and still nursing like crazy!

that's good to hear

Is anyone else getting pestered about solids? MIL wants me to feed Alena
turkey and mashed potatoes at Christmas. (It's not happening!)

I'm not being pestered, though it's a topic of frequent discussion, he
might get some Christmas dinner as he will be almost 7 months by then.

He might even get some veg at thanksgiving (my group of friends has a few
Americans and we've got in the habit of a bring and share thanksgiving
meal) as he will be 6 months the day after.

Old November 9th 03, 09:33 PM
AlenasMom

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I'm feeling left out.

sorry about that, for some reason I had in my head Alena was a similar

age
to Nathanael, was she late, Nathanael was early, so maybe they are a
similar age by conception. 2 ladies I know and I were all due within a
week of each other, in the end we had them spread evenly over 4 weeks,
there is quite a lot of difference between them, those extra weeks on the
outside seem to make a difference.

Don't be sorry. Alena was born July 1st instead of the 28th (her given
due date). We would have been early anyway... she was supposedly roughly 5
weeks early.

Old November 10th 03, 01:12 AM
Leigh McCuen

"AlenasMom" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
Alena's doing great! 14lbs, 26" long, and still nursing like crazy!

At her 4 month appointment, Zoe (b. June 25, 2003) was 16lbs 8ounces,
and 25 1/4 inches long. She's a sturdy baby. She's nursing like a
champion, and doesn't believe that she should ever have to go more
than 2 hours without nursing.

She's also taking the bottle like an old pro at daycare, and I'm in
the process of increasing her bottles to 4 ounces (from 3) to see how
she does with that. My main worry is that she'll take as many bottles
(4 to 5, depending on how long she's there) but 4 ounces in each
instead of 3 ounces. I'm not sure I'll be able to pump that much at
work! But I'll worry about that when/if it happens.

I definitely have a hate/hate relationship with my pump though. Only 8
more months of pumping left! *grin*

Is anyone else getting pestered about solids? MIL wants me to feed Alena
turkey and mashed potatoes at Christmas. (It's not happening!)

I'm fortunate in that most people I'm around think that 4 months is
the early side of introducing solids. So no one's really surprised
that I'm planning on keeping Zoe solely on breastmilk until she's at
least 6 months. I have decided on her first food (banana) and both my
husband and I are really looking forward to starting her on solids. My
husband does the household cooking, so he's really excited about being
able to introduce Zoe to all these new tastes. But we'll wait. We
probably will let her grandmothers feed her (banana) at Christmas,
unless she's showing signs of not being at all ready for solids.

My current problem is that grandparents are asking for Christmas gift
ideas, including clothing sizes. Well, right now Zoe wears 3-6mos
outfits, but I have no idea what she'll be wearing at Christmas, or
what size to get for what season over the next year. It's tough!

Leigh
Old November 10th 03, 01:37 AM
Taniwha grrrl

Lydia is 16 weeks today (4 months on the 21st) and is doing
really well. I don't know how much she weighs but she is
very heavy, she 'seems' like one of my biggest for this age,
and she's ever so long. I will try and get her to Plunket
soon and see what she is. She is *ALL* smiles this girl,
such a social bunny, she just laughs her way through the
day, anything and everything gets an ear to ear grin from
her. She loves smiling at herself in the mirror, takes after
her mum ;-)
Her day goes somewhat like this as far as feeding and
sleeping goes.
8:00am-10:00am wake up
Breastfeed
Breastfeed
Bottle (150mls)
around 11:00an-1:00pm falls asleep
3:00pm-4:00pm wakes up
breastfeed
breastfeed
Bottle (150mls) around our dinnertime
breastfeeds on and off all evening between playing and falls
asleep about 8-9pm.
She doesn't wake in the night.
No solids for us, too much work, my kids don't get solids
until they can walk to the fridge and fix their own snack.
As for milestones she is cooing and gooing now and has
little conversations with you which are the sweetest thing,
she really knows how to captivate you and you spend hours
cooing back to her...lol
She loves her gym mat with baby frame over it and is
reaching for the toys now, she particularly fancies a little
seahorse and I try and put her under that as she likes to
reach for it. Not rolling yet but when on her tummy she is
already pushing up on her knees, I think she's be crawling
by 6 months. She sits really well with a little support, and
is at that baby sit up stage when they are lying on their
back...lol And she *loves* to stand, put any pressure on her
feet and that's her invitation to push against you and stand
up. When I put her in the Maya so she can see the world
(facing out) I try to fold her legs so she can sit in it but
she won't have a bar and stands the whole time, it make sit
a little unstable and I have to have my hand around her to
stop her tipping forward but she loves it.
All in all she's just a wee treasure :-)

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old November 10th 03, 02:19 AM
Belphoebe

Leigh McCuen wrote:

My current problem is that grandparents are asking for Christmas gift
ideas, including clothing sizes. Well, right now Zoe wears 3-6mos
outfits, but I have no idea what she'll be wearing at Christmas, or
what size to get for what season over the next year. It's tough!

You could always ask for 2T, to increase the odds that she'll wear the
clothes before she outgrows them.

--
Belphoebe

Old November 10th 03, 03:12 AM
Leann and Donald

OMG, from about 4 months on, my mother would make little comments like,
"I'll bet you'll sleep through the night if you had some cereal." And
things like that. Well, when I finally gave her cereal at 6 months, I let
my mom take a night shift. Didn't take to long for her to realize solids
are not the cure all for sleeping through the night ;-)

Leann

Old November 10th 03, 10:35 AM
Cath

AlenasMom wrote:

Alena's doing great! 14lbs, 26" long, and still nursing like crazy!

Fenna is about the same age (born july 5), and her length and weight are
about the same as far as I can tell, 6.3 kilo and 65 cm. She still
nurses every 2 hours during the day, but usually sleeps from about 11pm
to 6 am in one go (not every night, sometimes she wants to eat between 3
and 4. No big deal as we still cosleep and I hardly wake up). During the
day she usually sleeps in one-hour stretches - one from about 11am to
12am, one from about 2pm to 3pm, sometimes from 4pm to 5pm, and then
she'll be awake all evening till 11pm.
She's really really great, very happy, rarely cries. She rolled over
from belly to back last week but since then seems to have forgotten how
to do this...She grabs at all her toys and tries to put them in her
mouth.

This is my last week of leave - next monday I'll start work again for 4
days a week. DH will also work 4 days. Of the remaining 3 days my
parents will come over to look after her for one day, the other 2 days
she'll go to a daycare centre.

In Holland the employer is required by law to provide a secluded area
where new mothers can express milk, plus you are allowed to spend one
quarter of your work hours feeding or expressing milk (up to nine month
post partum, after that it's in your own time). I plan to express twice
during work, and probably some more in mornings and evening - DD usually
takes one side so I can express from the other. I use an Avent Isis, so
far it works well for me, gets me about 60ml (2 oz) per side in a
pumping session. So far I've only pumped in between nursing sessions so
I hope I can express some more when I express instead of nursing.

Before I started lurking here I thought I'd bf till starting work again,
then continue the bf only for mornings and nights and feed formula
during the day. Pumping seemed like such a hassle. Now I'm very
committed to this, have already build up quite a freezer stash and fully
intend to pump for quite a while and keep away from the formula for as
long as possible (provided I manage to pump enough...)
So you guys do really make a difference!

Is anyone else getting pestered about solids? MIL wants me to feed Alena
turkey and mashed potatoes at Christmas. (It's not happening!)

My mom did ask me but doesn't pester, it's just that in her time it was
the norm to start at 4 month. She is very interested in knowing the new
developments in this area and is fully behind all the decisions I take
and simply wants to know on what basis I take them out of interest,
there is never any criticism involved. It's really great to have such a
supportive mom! She didn't breastfeed me herself (she did bf my brother
but got mastitis and very little support so she quit after a few weeks,
she didn't try with me because at that time (early seventies) formula
was considered better anyway...). She's now very proud of me that I'm
sticking with it.

This got a bit longer than I planned :-)

Cath
Mom to Fenna, born 07/05/03
Old November 10th 03, 04:33 PM
Spanannie

My DS (born 6.19.02) was the same age as your Zoe on his first Christmas.
At that point, he wore size 6-12 mos. If you'd like them to buy for spring,
I'd say size 12-18 mos. I find that you pretty much can double their age
for their clothing size, up to one year. Once they start walking, though,
IME, they thin out (esp. the still bf kids) and now DS wears his age in
clothing.

Annie

"Leigh McCuen" wrote in message
om...