I'm now a nursing mum-to-be!

Old April 17th 05, 01:12 AM
Sarah

Default I'm now a nursing mum-to-be!

Just had a positive pregnancy test on Friday! Very excited. DH and I got a
bit carried away over Easter, with no thought to the fact that if we
conceived we'd be looking at a Christmas/New Year baby! Due date is
Christmas Eve!

DD is nearly 22 months and still nursing like a champion (before nap, bed
and twice in the night - and occasionally asks for it during the day at
other times!), so I'm a little concerned as to how the pregnancy will affect
her - I guess she'll either self-wean or continue to suckle and then I'll be
looking at tandem feeding!

It goes without saying that I'm off the mild dose of anti-depressants I was
taking, but I feel great and always find the pregnancy hormones make me feel
good. Finger's crossed I sail through the pregnancy like last time, with no
morning sickness - but might be different with a toddler to run around
after!

Here's hoping all goes well over the next cruicial weeks!

Sarah

Old April 17th 05, 01:14 AM
Nan

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:12:48 +1200, "Sarah"
wrote:

[...]

Congratulations!!

Nan
Old April 17th 05, 02:24 AM
Anne Rogers

Hi Sarah, remember me? we were belly buddies last time, though I ended up
having my baby almost a month before you. I'm nearly 32 weeks now with
number 2, remarkably with the same due date as last time, 14th June. I was
in the same position as you when I got pregnant with regards to nursing,
though we had night weaned, pregnancy seemed to make me dry up instantly and
he started biting me, most people don't seem to dry up quite so fast!

Bit of a caution about stopping the anti-ds, current thinking seems to be
you need to be on them as long whilst you are well as you were ill for, for
me that would have meant coming off them midway through pregnancy, my
psychiatrist thought that the best thing was for me to carry on with them at
the lowest dose. This should also help with minimising PPD afterwards, so
the small risks were worth taking.

Many congratulations to you and your DH,

Anne (and Nathanael, 2 in 6 weeks!)

Old April 17th 05, 06:16 PM
sharalyns

Congratulations!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Old April 17th 05, 08:24 PM
Welches

"Sarah" wrote in message
[...]

I nursed through my 2nd pregnancy. #1 was nearly 3 when she was born. There
was a point in the 2nd trimester when she sucked, came off and said that
there was no milk there. I thought she might wean herself then, but within a
couple of days there was milk again.
The other thing I found was that there were points that it was painful and I
had to restrict her feeding. There didn't seem to be any particular points
that it hurt, just from time to time it would be for a few days, but then
get better again.
Good luck.
Debbie

Old April 18th 05, 12:11 PM
Chookie

In article , "Sarah"
wrote:

Just had a positive pregnancy test on Friday! Very excited. DH and I got a
bit carried away over Easter, with no thought to the fact that if we
conceived we'd be looking at a Christmas/New Year baby! Due date is
Christmas Eve!

Congratulations!

DD is nearly 22 months and still nursing like a champion (before nap, bed
and twice in the night - and occasionally asks for it during the day at
other times!), so I'm a little concerned as to how the pregnancy will affect
her - I guess she'll either self-wean or continue to suckle and then I'll be
looking at tandem feeding!

It'll work out, one way or the other.

It goes without saying that I'm off the mild dose of anti-depressants I was
taking, but I feel great and always find the pregnancy hormones make me feel
good. Finger's crossed I sail through the pregnancy like last time, with no
morning sickness - but might be different with a toddler to run around
after!

Actually, it *doesn't* go without saying that you are off your
antidepressants. Did you consult your doctor first? Some aren't good to stop
suddenly, and most are fine in pregnancy.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old April 19th 05, 02:01 AM
Sarah

Yes, my doctor advised to stop at the instance of conceiving and I was on a
very mild-dose for mild depression and only suffering mild mood swings.

I am not suffering from moderate or extreme depression and have a very
supportive friend base and get out and about lots - I always find fresh air
and sunshine the best 'pick me up' and exercise of course.

I had depression before my first pregnancy, but had just completed a course
of anti-depressants prior to conceiving, and through great counselling am
aware of the important life-style steps I need to have in place to ensure I
keep an 'even keel'.

I'm putting my foot down on the night nursings now to ensure I get the full
sleep and rest I need.

Thanks, Sarah

Old April 22nd 05, 08:35 AM
Chookie

In article , "Sarah"
wrote:

Yes, my doctor advised to stop at the instance of conceiving and I was on a
very mild-dose for mild depression and only suffering mild mood swings.

Oh good.

I'd better explain what I was thinking: over teh last few years, I've met
quite a number of people with PND, and one of the things I have noticed is
that almost all of them worry that their medication will be really bad for the
baby -- and it's very hard to reassure them. I assume it's the illness
talking -- there seems to be a lot of guilt involved in it.

Old April 23rd 05, 08:52 AM

Congratulations! My dd was 15 months when I got pg. At that time she
was nursing ALOT, but midway through I did dry up and ended up giving
her bottles of cows milk in addition to breast feeding. Then about 6
weeks before my due date I got colostrum in. My dd is not thrilled
with it, but enjoys nursing to sleep so much that she puts up with the
colostrum. I am due in a few weeks, and I think my dd will be glad
when the sweet milk comes in.

KC

Old April 25th 05, 09:13 AM
Sarah

Wow! Well done Kathy at keeping up your breastfeeding relationship with your
daughter. All the very best with the arrival of your second child and good
luck with tandem feeding! I've just been reading the 'Adventures in Tandem
Nursing' book and find it fascinating, inspirational and a little
overwhelming all in one go! Good luck! Sarah

P.S. Now 6 weeks pregnant and DD has definitely picked up that something is
different - hormones, taste, something and is asking to nurse more (so I
guess my supply could already be dropping slightly). Fortunately no sign of
nipple soreness or nausea yet - was lucky not to experience either of those
with my first pregnancy, here's hoping.... (but then I didn't have a toddler
with teeth chomping at my nipples daily!) xx

ups.com...